U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 16,273 times

Advertisements

Hello, please give me your best advice-
The moving company had tried to move a big couch up some stairs in the townhouse I just moved into (renting), and they couldn't get it around the last corner. Only after they left did I notice the paint they chipped from newly painted walls and worse, some ugly deep dents in the NEW hardwood floors from when they brought the couch back down and plopped in on the floor. My roommate are not happy nor am I with theses damages. I'm just not sure what to do about the floors...this was my first big move myself so I didn't realize what to look for afterwards. And I've signed the paperwork so I'm guessing they are covered from repairing any of it. I'm sure the landlords would not be happy about the new flooring, as well. Um...yeah I just don't know what to do. Go to home depot and get DIY advice? Some of the scratches are pretty deep...will I have to pay for the damage?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 04:48 PM

1,294 posts, read 2,206,019 times
Well it never hurts to shoot them an email with some pictures and ask for help - if it's an easy fix they may just take care of it for you. If they put up any sort of a fight about it you are not going to have much luck getting them to do anything though. If they are insured you could make a claim against them, but that will likely be a giant pain vs just repairing it yourself.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:56 PM

7,671 posts, read 13,028,860 times
Check the contract. Should be something there showing how to start. If you receive no satisfaction write to corporate, if there is one, then you might have to go with small claims court. Little cost to file and you do not need an attorney. Take plenty of pics and document everything they say, or do, for use if it goes to court.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:27 PM

2,731 posts, read 5,095,529 times
In addition to agreeing with the other posters, I might separate (at least in my mind) the paint damage from the floor damage. The paint damage should be easy to repair with primer and your touch up paint that is left (since it was newly painted there should still be some available that will match). I would consider small scuffs and a few chipped wall corners to be "par for the course" of a move. However, sometimes big dents or scratches in hardwood floors cannot be cheaply and easily repaired -- a professional may have to be called in to refinish the entire floor, and that means there is one refinishing you won't get later, shortening the useful life of the floor. So I would get an estimate for that. Given that you are renting, this gets complicated, but you may need to notify the landlord now. And the landlord may know someone who can fix the floors more effectively or more cheaply than whoever the moving co. might get.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:51 PM

171 posts, read 211,881 times
Do a small test spot of Old English furniture polish/wood care on one of the scratches. You can find it at the grocery or drug store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>