Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 07:06 PM

26,706 posts, read 41,864,960 times

Advertisements

Okay, I just booked up a weekend at a festival in Cleveland, OH the first weekend of May. I'm going to leave for Cleveland right from work at VA Square. Google maps says I should expect about 6 hours drivetime in no traffic.

Questions:

1. Do ya'll think I'll be fine leaving at 12pm since I am working a half day at work and not using I-95 at all?

2. What traffic tie ups can I expect if I leave Cleveland on Sunday around 12pm and come back down I-270 to get back to South Arlington? This is more flexible.

3. Has anyone done this trip or equivalent before and can advise me on how much in tolls I can expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 09:40 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,469,045 times
Boy, I would be amazed if it took only six hrs under the best of conditions. Columbus is closer, I think, and it was a good 7 hrs under decent conditions when we last drove there. I would definitely allow more time.

Ok, I should've checked the map, which says Cleveland is closer, but I would still allow at least 7 hrs to be safe. Have fun there!

Old 03-20-2014, 10:36 PM

143 posts, read 336,699 times
I've driven it several times and it usually takes between 7 1/2 and 8 hours, including a quick lunch and gas/bathroom break.

I think you should be fine leaving around noon. Might be a bit of traffic around the Pittsburgh area, but it should be nothing like the DC traffic.

You can probably expect some traffic on the way back on Sunday, from the people who have gone to New York for the weekend.

Not sure about the tolls since I have used the ez-pass. You'll be on the PA and OH turnpikes for most the trip.

(Just FYI, the 9/11 Flight 93 Memorial in Shanksville, PA is off the turnpike, if you are interested. About a 20 minute drive.)

Old 03-21-2014, 01:05 PM

707 posts, read 1,413,641 times
I ve driven from Stafford to Cleveland in 9 hours in snowy weather, the PA Turnpike is very tricky,
especially with the semi-trucks come roaring by up and down hills. Once you get to Ohio its a breeze
straight flat roads most of the way. If I recall tolls were at least $15 maybe more each way, this was 3 years ago.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:50 PM

Thanks folks. I think I may invest in EZpass to help with the trip.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:38 PM

493 posts, read 642,226 times
Cleveland has very minimal traffic, especially on the weekends. Downtown might be a little more hectic, but it doesn't usually get too bad.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:53 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,751,812 times
The real question: Why on earth would you want to go to Cleveland?!

Just kidding---have fun.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
The real question: Why on earth would you want to go to Cleveland?!

Just kidding---have fun.

My favorite rap artist is performing in his hometown at the festival, which I go to every time it is in DC. Once in a lifetime chance.

If I were going to Ohio under normal circumstances (then again I would not go to OH under normal circumstances), Cincinnati would be my preference.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:37 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,696,617 times
I've driven to Cleveland several times and usually plan on eight hours, including stops. (The travel plazas in Ohio are much nicer than those in PA, btw).

Old 03-25-2014, 05:28 AM

66 posts, read 118,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
2. What traffic tie ups can I expect if I leave Cleveland on Sunday around 12pm and come back down I-270 to get back to South Arlington? This is more flexible.

3. Has anyone done this trip or equivalent before and can advise me on how much in tolls I can expect?
At Breezewood, PA, I-70 doesn't actually connect to I-76 (the PA Turnpike). You have to drive on a local road for a couple of blocks to get from one to the other. I have heard that traffic can get really backed up in Breezewood but I have never experienced it myself, because I've only been through there at very early morning times.

If you don't have an EZPass, you should expect to spend about $16-$21 on tolls in PA and $4.75 in OH (may depend on which Cleveland exit you use). With EZPass it's $11-$15 in PA and $3.25 in OH. The toll roads have fare calculators on their web sites so you can check to see what it costs at the various exits. For some reason, the PA Turnpike tolls are different whether you're going west or east, which is the reason for the ranges I gave above.

I'd also suggest you check the toll roads' web sites for construction project info a couple of days before your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: