Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:28 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times

Advertisements

Next year, my family and I are going to be looking to buy a home in PWC. We don't have a set time table as to when we will buy, but it will be important to buy before August because our goal is to move prior to our oldest child starting school. With that said, what do you all consider the 'hot' times to buy homes where there are a glut of properties coming out on the market? Is it around this time of year at the beginning of the spring? Is it during the early part of the summer? Just curious for those who keep up with the housing trends. By the way, we will likely be looking in the Lake Ridge, Westridge, Manassas (20112) areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,664 times
Spring is traditionally considered the "hot" time people put their house on the market. I would see how many days on the market houses in the neighborhoods you're considering have been. We bought once during the summer and it was slim pickings.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
March/April/May

Spring is popular because sellers want to make the transition during the summer months so as not to interrupt their child's school year.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:13 PM

617 posts, read 1,356,434 times
Isn't Westridge part of Lake Ridge, just one specific neighborhood? I live in Lake Ridge and we'll probably be looking to move in a few years, before my oldest starts elementary school. One warning about Westridge; the school boundaries are drawn oddly. Instead of going to Lake Ridge Middle School, which is a few minutes down Old Bridge Road, Westridge kids are sent to Woodbridge Middle School.

I believe that's still a pretty decent school, but it looks like it would be a pain in the ass to get to by comparison, since it is located on the other side of I-95 and isn't very convenient to the neighborhood. It's a long way off, I know, but worth keeping in mind.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
Isn't Westridge part of Lake Ridge, just one specific neighborhood? I live in Lake Ridge and we'll probably be looking to move in a few years, before my oldest starts elementary school. One warning about Westridge; the school boundaries are drawn oddly. Instead of going to Lake Ridge Middle School, which is a few minutes down Old Bridge Road, Westridge kids are sent to Woodbridge Middle School.

I believe that's still a pretty decent school, but it looks like it would be a pain in the ass to get to by comparison, since it is located on the other side of I-95 and isn't very convenient to the neighborhood. It's a long way off, I know, but worth keeping in mind.
I was wondering this for a while, so I did some research and found out that Westridge is a separate community with it's own HOA. Westridge. A residential community in Woodbridge, Virginia

As for the middle schools, I'm struggling with that. Westridge looks like it is easily the best elementary school in the 22192 zip code but it is also like you said districted to WMS. Right now my daughter would have to go to Old Bridge Elementary which isn't a bad school at all, but it's just not Westridge good. On the other hand though is if we stay in this school district then she would get to go to Lake Ridge Middle. It's a tough decision.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:46 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I was wondering this for a while, so I did some research and found out that Westridge is a separate community with it's own HOA. Westridge. A residential community in Woodbridge, Virginia

As for the middle schools, I'm struggling with that. Westridge looks like it is easily the best elementary school in the 22192 zip code but it is also like you said districted to WMS. Right now my daughter would have to go to Old Bridge Elementary which isn't a bad school at all, but it's just not Westridge good. On the other hand though is if we stay in this school district then she would get to go to Lake Ridge Middle. It's a tough decision.

Look at the high schools too. That time comes before you know it. I believe Westridge is zoned for Osbourn Park H.S. which is not all that close, while much of 22192 is zoned for Woodbridge High School. At the time my daughter was in high school, I believe that OP was the better high school but things change.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Look at the high schools too. That time comes before you know it. I believe Westridge is zoned for Osbourn Park H.S. which is not all that close, while much of 22192 is zoned for Woodbridge High School. At the time my daughter was in high school, I believe that OP was the better high school but things change.
I read some where that they are trying to build a high school near 234 & Hoadly. I'm wondering how that would affect boundaries in that area.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:54 PM

Here it goes:

Prince William schools could receive $29.6 million boost from county - INSIDENOVA.COM: Education

Quote:
The budget also avoids laying off staff members and includes funding for several school construction projects, including a new elementary school in the Haymarket area, a kindergarten through 8th grade school in Nokesville, additions at River Oaks and Featherstone elementary schools, an addition at Parkside Middle School, a renewal project at Dumfries Elementary School, and initial plans for the county’s newest high school, to be located in the mid-county region near the intersection of Va. 234 and Hoadly Road.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:58 AM

127 posts, read 355,817 times
In Lake Ridge, a lot of houses are coming on the market now. But in my neighborhood, they are usually gone within 2 weeks, so depending on where in Lake Ridge you want to buy, you'll have to act quickly.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 AM

12 posts, read 14,265 times
Start looking now.
We spent months and Months looking. you could luck out and find the perfect place that is in your budget right off the bat. but odds are you wont.
we actually found 6 perfect places durring our house hunting time. they were all snagged out from under us before we could get an offer in.
We learned to be agressive when we found something we liked.
Another learning curve for us was the negotiation phase. There were a few houses we liked and put in offers thinking we would negotiate up to a price agreeable to both buyer and seller.
Wrong.
In every case the house sold quickly to someone who made a stronger initial offer than ours.
We learned to be agressive and make strong initial offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia