Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 PM

13 posts, read 81,755 times

Advertisements

My head has been spinning from searching all these income and affordability threads, so I will add another one I guess. I am currently in Richmond, VA, and deciding on a move to Raleigh-Durham, NC or the Haymarket-South Riding - Manassas area. My income will be very similar in both areas.

What kind of incomes do people in those nice houses in Haymarket and South Riding have? Seems like everyone has a high income to afford houses in say, Dominion Valley. But I talked to a friend and he didn't seem to have the income I thought he did. That means he probably isn't saving much money and most of it is just going into a house. Can I find average household incomes to a specific township or narrow it down to a specific area?

We would be looking for a 3500+ sq ft. house, new construction. We were looking at Toll Brothers in Haymarket/Dominion Valley. In Raleigh, we would probably look at Toll Brothers, but I think there are more possibilities with using local builders who build in the same price range, maybe slightly higher?

I will need to spend more time to see if I can deal with the traffic. The rudeness of the drivers is always brought up -I think I can handle it, there are rude drivers everywhere. What's the big deal? Or am I missing something here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 07:35 PM

9,890 posts, read 14,174,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay321 View Post

We would be looking for a 3500+ sq ft. house, new construction.
If salary and house price is a concern, you should likely lower your standards. Why must you have a new construction house that is over 3500 SF?

Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 PM

939 posts, read 1,896,241 times
You will get way more in Raleigh-Durham for the price, and the best part is it won't be in the middle of nowhere like you would be in Haymarket/South Riding/Manassas. Even if the prices are comparable for those areas to Raleigh, you won't be 45 miles from the center of the urban area. If those were my two choices, I would not consider the Virginia options at all.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,522,030 times
If you can find a job in the Triangle area, why not take it? There's of course other considerations, like family/friends/etc., but the main draw of Northern VA to outsiders is that there's lots of jobs here.

Don't be one of those folks that come here and then complains about the area.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,820,242 times
Financially-wise, you will get so much more for your buck here in the Triangle. You will also get much less traffic. On the other hand, there is so much more to do in DC. If you are the type to just sit in your large home, watch movies on your big-screen tv and sit on your hammock, then do it in Raleigh. If you like going out, having tons of cultural amenities at the drop of a hat, hundreds of ethnic restaurants to visit in the area, the monuments and history of DC nearby then choose DC. On the other hand, as someone mentioned upthread, much of that is a haul from Haymarket.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:29 AM

505 posts, read 766,342 times
Quote:
What kind of incomes do people in those nice houses in Haymarket and South Riding have? Seems like everyone has a high income to afford houses in say, Dominion Valley. But I talked to a friend and he didn't seem to have the income I thought he did. That means he probably isn't saving much money and most of it is just going into a house. Can I find average household incomes to a specific township or narrow it down to a specific area?
This site has household income by census tract, from the Census Bureau's American Community Survey, based on samples from 2005 to 2009: Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

From looking at the site, the census tracts containing Dominion Valley and South Riding both had median household incomes of about $130k. But, this underestimates the earnings of people who are buying 3500sqft houses there now because of several reasons:

1. There is a mix of those 3500sqft houses, older/smaller houses, townhouses, and some rentals within the census tracts. In general, people with the more expensive 3500sqft homes will be making more than the median and those with the less expensive places will be making less (yes, I know there are lots of exceptions)

2. Some people may have bought before the bubble or rolled over a bunch of equity from a previous house so they may do just fine with a smaller income and mortgage now than their current house value would suggest. Of course, the reverse is true for those who bought at the height of the bubble

3. You have people in any neighborhood who may own their house outright or have a small mortgage but relatively low income (retirees, people with inheritances, some small business owners etc)

4. The census data is based on surveys from 2005-2009, so it is likely the people living there are making more now than they were then

Old 05-07-2013, 09:31 AM

979 posts, read 1,779,003 times
If your income would be about the same in both areas, why choose the area with the notably higher cost of living and worse traffic?

Old 05-07-2013, 09:40 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,594,187 times
Quote:
My head has been spinning from searching all these income and affordability threads, so I will add another one I guess. I am currently in Richmond, VA, and deciding on a move to Raleigh-Durham, NC or the Haymarket-South Riding - Manassas area. My income will be very similar in both areas.

We would be looking for a 3500+ sq ft. house, new construction. We were looking at Toll Brothers in Haymarket/Dominion Valley. In Raleigh, we would probably look at Toll Brothers, but I think there are more possibilities with using local builders who build in the same price range, maybe slightly higher?

I will need to spend more time to see if I can deal with the traffic. The rudeness of the drivers is always brought up -I think I can handle it, there are rude drivers everywhere. What's the big deal? Or am I missing something here?
I think people can afford different amounts based on how much debt or savings they have. If I didn't have debt, then we could afford something amazing. If my husband didn't like to save a lot, then we could also put more into a house. As it is, we have what we have more because of the real estate boom than because of salary. We bought something just before the boom hit and then sold just before the bubble burst, making a whole bunch of cash. We rented until the market went down a little, and then put that cash into a new home.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:57 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,262,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
If salary and house price is a concern, you should likely lower your standards. Why must you have a new construction house that is over 3500 SF?
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:59 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,690,470 times
Everyone has a different comfort level regard what they feel they can afford for housing. I am VERY conservative in my housing. I see people who make a good bit less than I do in a MUCH nicer house. Personally, I'm just not comfortable with that much debt. You probably should not try to compare yourself to others as it's really not a one-size-fits-all approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia