Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:11 PM

566 posts, read 1,556,827 times

Advertisements

I know this is kind of a technical engineering question, but why are there still so many cloverleaf interchanges in NoVa? They are such an inefficient, outdated way to move traffic, and totally inappropriate for NoVa's clogged highways. Yet there are still so many, and they don't appear to be getting replaced with more efficient road designs. The Route 123/ I-495 is a perfect example. There's tons of weaving back and forth from the loops on this heavily traveled interchange, and despite all the reconstruction, they kept the old design. In California, Caltrans has replaced most cloverleafs with new interchange designs except for those in lightly traveled areas. Anyone have a guess as to why VA keeps these old cloverleafs interchanges intact?

In case anyone is wondering what a cloverleaf is: Cloverleaf interchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,299 times
The era in which most of the infrastructure was built in NOVA is really why. You are looking at design standards used in the industry between 1975 and 1995 when major highway projects were largely complete in VA. Specifically the 495 interchanges. Is your particular issue with them the fact that they are both deceleration and acceleration lanes?

Compared to the new Caltran intersections they use far less right of way, which is one reason the federal highway system utilized them in the first place. Staggered flyovers can be seen, for instance look at the newly built Route 28 limited access system, but again those take up way more right of way than equivalent cloverleafs

BTW, this is the wonkiest thread ever created on the subject of transportation. Well played

Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post

BTW, this is the wonkiest thread ever created on the subject of transportation. Well played
Wonky?? No way. There is no way this thread was designed with anyone else but you, TE, to respond. I think they are courting you......

Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,299 times
There are atleast 3000 civil engineers in the NOVA region. I'm sure there must be more people who could have responded... but I think you are right. OH NO. IT MUST BE AN AMBUSH!!

Old 05-09-2013, 06:04 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
There are atleast 3000 civil engineers in the NOVA region.
Yes, that may be true.....but only one on NoVa CD.......

Old 05-09-2013, 08:29 PM

727 posts, read 1,533,366 times
An electrical engineer, a mechanical engineer, and a civil engineer are having a debate over who designed the human body. The mechanical engineer says, "it was clearly a mechanical engineer. Who else would design the skeletal and muscular system?" The electrical engineer says, "it was clearly a mechanical engineer. Who else would design the brain and the nervous system?" The civil engineer says, "it was clearly a civil engineer. Who else would think to put a waste disposal system next to a recreational area?"

Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,979 times
OK, I'm curious. What are these specific Caltrans interchanges you're referring to and how are they more efficient? I honestly don't know much about the subject.

I do know that in constructing the HOT lanes, they took at least 2 existing cloverleaf interchanges that used to have no traffic lights (Route 7 and Braddock Road), and have put in a traffic light at each one. Isn't that moving in the wrong direction?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
OK, I'm curious. What are these specific Caltrans interchanges you're referring to and how are they more efficient? I honestly don't know much about the subject.

I do know that in constructing the HOT lanes, they took at least 2 existing cloverleaf interchanges that used to have no traffic lights (Route 7 and Braddock Road), and have put in a traffic light at each one. Isn't that moving in the wrong direction?
In CA, many cloverleafs are being replaced with partial cloverleafs (aka parcelos). Typically, the offramp loop is removed, and the offramp becomes a single ramp with a stoplight at the arterial road. Two remaining onramp loops are retained. This arrangement eliminates the dangerous weaving and accelerating/decelerating that clog up heavily used cloverleafs.

Partial cloverleaf interchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree that the recent interchange reconfigurations are a step in the right direction, but the design is still so flawed given the level of traffic in this area. It's like VADOT is applying 1970s design to 21st century problems.

P.S. I'm thrilled that my thread won the wonky award!

Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
The era in which most of the infrastructure was built in NOVA is really why. You are looking at design standards used in the industry between 1975 and 1995 when major highway projects were largely complete in VA. Specifically the 495 interchanges. Is your particular issue with them the fact that they are both deceleration and acceleration lanes?

Compared to the new Caltran intersections they use far less right of way, which is one reason the federal highway system utilized them in the first place. Staggered flyovers can be seen, for instance look at the newly built Route 28 limited access system, but again those take up way more right of way than equivalent cloverleafs

What Caltrans intersections are you comparing the cloverleaf to? I would argue that the cloverleaf requires some of the most right of way of any interchange design.

You mentioned Route 28 - compare the right of way of a cloverleaf with that of the Willard Road (Chantilly) interchange. It's a Single Point Urban Interchange (SPUI), had a very efficient traffic pattern (one intersection for all ramps at the arterial road), and takes up very little land.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:59 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times
"parcelos" - Must work that into conversation today...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia