Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2013, 08:21 AM
 
1,502 posts, read 2,663,053 times
Reputation: 641

Advertisements

Here is what I have so far:

1) Take 160 exit to Gordon Blvd.

2) ****FAST LEFT***** Hang a left onto Old Bridge Road...

3) Take a left on Minnieville drive it for a few miles then take it to 234.

4) Take 234 about a mile to Bristow Road.

5) Take Bristow Road about 1000 feet to Aden Road.

6) Take Aden Road about 2 miles to Fleetwood drive. Make a left at Fleetwood drive **Which will become Sowego and then become Brent Town Road. This will be about 3 miles.

7) Make a right on Aquia Rd. and a *******VERY FAST left********* (Just a few feet) onto Tacketts Mill Road for about a mile or so.

8) Make a left onto Poplar (the Road's name will stay Poplar) and take it all the way to 17.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2013, 06:52 PM
 
1,502 posts, read 2,663,053 times
Reputation: 641
Tried it today, but had to make my escape at Lorton Road due to the black and red candy cane traffic pattern on the map from Lorton to rural Spotsylvania.

I'll tell you, it seemed very long but was rather relaxing. 2.5 hours home today...I think it could have been worse with the Fourth of July traffic once again heading South.

Noticing a lot more Virginia tags making the commute South than anyone else these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2013, 09:22 PM
 
3,557 posts, read 4,089,848 times
Reputation: 1632
What about instead of using Minnieville, continue on Old Bridge as it becomes Prince Willliam Parkway and then turn left on Hoadly Road after the country gov complex. Hoadly to Dumfries Road to Bristow/Aden. Google Maps puts that route from getting off at Gordon Blvd as 13.7m/25min, which is a little further distance than Minnieville, but I don't think it would be as populated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 03:34 AM
 
Location: Censorshipville...
4,416 posts, read 8,099,160 times
Reputation: 4971
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Ok, does 234 Connect directly To Aden Road. Oneasterisk's post seems to mention that it does but it looks like I need to take Bristow Road for about 1000 feet before it does. Any ideas?

Thanks!
You're right, you need to get onto Bristow (619) to take Aden road. Sorry I left that out, I guess I travel the road enough that it didn't register since it's such a short time on Bristow.

My GF called and said 95 was really bad yesterday morning. So instead I took 28S to get to her place. While it was out of the way coming from Woodbridge, I think it saved me time considering the amount of black/red/yellow showing up on Google maps. Like you said, it's a very indirect route, but considering it gets you off I95, at least you're moving the entire time.

95N was a little backed up later on in the evening. I should have known better, but I didn't bother checking the online maps when I left her place. I think it was just holiday traffic getting back home, but I won't make that mistake again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 04:37 AM
 
320 posts, read 710,359 times
Reputation: 70
It depends upon the time of day. During rush hour, Old Bridge has lots of traffic and then PW parkway to Hoadly can back up too. Once you are on Hoadly then it is pretty smooth all the way to 234.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 07:50 AM
 
1,502 posts, read 2,663,053 times
Reputation: 641
Will try if this doesn't work out. It's only 9:50am and google maps is showing black and red at the typical spots once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
What about instead of using Minnieville, continue on Old Bridge as it becomes Prince Willliam Parkway and then turn left on Hoadly Road after the country gov complex. Hoadly to Dumfries Road to Bristow/Aden. Google Maps puts that route from getting off at Gordon Blvd as 13.7m/25min, which is a little further distance than Minnieville, but I don't think it would be as populated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 07:55 AM
 
1,502 posts, read 2,663,053 times
Reputation: 641
It probably wouldn't on a bike. Was that you I saw behind me the other day as I took the twisties in my Galant VR-4?

I will say those back roads have some VERY sharp turns especially as you get past Quantico.

One other thing I couldn't find were the words "Aden Road". I drove for miles then saw the word "Aden" on a store I think. I made a left there and everything else was straight forward.

Yeah checking the maps is mandatory. Kind of sickens me, but it is still mandatory. Not sure if you use Waze, but that is another great app as well.





Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
You're right, you need to get onto Bristow (619) to take Aden road. Sorry I left that out, I guess I travel the road enough that it didn't register since it's such a short time on Bristow.

My GF called and said 95 was really bad yesterday morning. So instead I took 28S to get to her place. While it was out of the way coming from Woodbridge, I think it saved me time considering the amount of black/red/yellow showing up on Google maps. Like you said, it's a very indirect route, but considering it gets you off I95, at least you're moving the entire time.

95N was a little backed up later on in the evening. I should have known better, but I didn't bother checking the online maps when I left her place. I think it was just holiday traffic getting back home, but I won't make that mistake again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Censorshipville...
4,416 posts, read 8,099,160 times
Reputation: 4971
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
It probably wouldn't on a bike. Was that you I saw behind me the other day as I took the twisties in my Galant VR-4?

I will say those back roads have some VERY sharp turns especially as you get past Quantico.

One other thing I couldn't find were the words "Aden Road". I drove for miles then saw the word "Aden" on a store I think. I made a left there and everything else was straight forward.

Yeah checking the maps is mandatory. Kind of sickens me, but it is still mandatory. Not sure if you use Waze, but that is another great app as well.
Nice choice in cars. You don't see many of those these days. It probably wasn't me, I think I'd remember seeing a VR-4. I ride a blue Suzuki SV650.

There should have been a sign on Bristow when you made a left and then another at that 4 way stop. That Aden corner store is a nice landmark, it's been there as long as I can remember. Hopefully they finish that bridgework on Aden soon. Having one lane through there is kind of a PITA. Also there are ways to get back to Garrisonville and Courthouse roads from that route in case you want to try to get back onto I95, but I found just getting to 17 is a safe bet.

Did you see that post I made on your other thread asking about bridges over the Rapidan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2013, 04:28 AM
 
1,502 posts, read 2,663,053 times
Reputation: 641
...and in bikes! Unfortunately, you probably know that Mitsubishis are just as unreliable as they are fast. I went to shift gears going across the 14th street bridge and found my clutch pedal affixed to the firewall. Nice $214 flatbed and that is with roadside assistance.

Still wasn't going to let the average Joe try and fix it.

I think I lucked out when I hit Aden Road...my side of traffic was flowing through the bridge.

I'll stick with 17. There was some moderate traffic getting onto 95 from 17 but even with that nasty candy cane traffic was done around there....but it started up again at Massaponax which was unusual for Southbound at that time. I saw your post on crossing that double "R" as well. Thanks for that.

I have a buddy I used to work with at Quantico who said he was able to use those MCB1 etc roads with no issues. I am not sure on the specifics. It might be worth working at DOD again if that is the case...although the furloughs seem to have hit hard.

Some of those distances look to be about 2 miles on a map, but I think they are closer to 6-8 miles in reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Nice choice in cars. You don't see many of those these days. It probably wasn't me, I think I'd remember seeing a VR-4. I ride a blue Suzuki SV650.

There should have been a sign on Bristow when you made a left and then another at that 4 way stop. That Aden corner store is a nice landmark, it's been there as long as I can remember. Hopefully they finish that bridgework on Aden soon. Having one lane through there is kind of a PITA. Also there are ways to get back to Garrisonville and Courthouse roads from that route in case you want to try to get back onto I95, but I found just getting to 17 is a safe bet.

Did you see that post I made on your other thread asking about bridges over the Rapidan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top