Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 04:24 PM

9 posts, read 20,361 times

Advertisements

We are possibly moving to the Arlington area. My husbands job would be in Arlington. We currently live in the suburbs of Nashville and love the size of our current city (50k). Where should we look in the Arlington area? We have recently visited the Bethesda area and didn't like the congestion and city feel. We are definitely more suburban people. I am a mini van driving stay at home mom and love it. We have two elementary school age kids, so schools are important. We wouldn't want more than a 30-45 min commute and are looking for a single family home no more than about $500k. Is there anywhere that fits this criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 04:59 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,972,326 times
Northern Virginia doesn't have separate cities...it has textbook suburban sprawl. As you drive along roads, it's really impossible to tell when you've gone from Springfield to Annandale to Burke, or from Alexandria to Arlington to Falls Church. The businesses change their names on their signs, but that's about it. It all just flows together.

Your wish list is pretty "pie in the sky". Either up the commute time, up your price fairly significantly, or be willing to settle for a townhouse or some of the area's less desirable schools--which may be just fine depending where you're coming from. NoVA tends to be filled with school snobs. The exception is if your husband works odd hours and won't be driving between 7-10 am or 4-7 pm--then you'll have a lot more flexibility.

Where in Arlington will he be? Crystal City vs. Ballston are two very different commutes!

Old 06-27-2013, 05:08 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,156,905 times
If you like a town of 50K people you will not like the Washington area. To go outward from Arlington you will enter Fairfax County with a population of 1.1 million people. The area starts being densely populated about 20 miles south of Washington and to run out of people north of Washington, you could end up north of Boston.

There are lots of suburban areas in Northern Virginia and Maryland but none like a small town of 50K. Best you can hope for is a small town feel, but you can't avoid density.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:11 PM

I guess the job would be in Ballston. We won't take the job if we can't find somewhere to live within our parameters. It just wouldn't be worth it for us at this point. My husband works long hours so an hour commute isn't an option for our family. We would like a nice area that isn't so congested. I felt stressed the entire weekend we were in the Bethesda area. It was too congested and fast paced for my liking.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:25 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,972,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFJ View Post
I guess the job would be in Ballston. We won't take the job if we can't find somewhere to live within our parameters. It just wouldn't be worth it for us at this point. My husband works long hours so an hour commute isn't an option for our family. We would like a nice area that isn't so congested. I felt stressed the entire weekend we were in the Bethesda area. It was too congested and fast paced for my liking.
I don't want to scare you off, but it doesn't sound like this is the area for you. Congested and fast paced are two acronyms that describe NoVA quite well. Arlington is similar to Bethesda. You lose the high rise buildings as you move further out, but the people/traffic/pace stay similar.

You may like Reston. In a short while, there will be metro access from Reston to Ballston (if his job is walkable from the Ballston stop). That should get you relatively close to a 45 minute commute if you live close to the metro station. $500k is townhome range though. (Which is completely normal for families around here--often the townhouses have nicer features than the SFH's, since they are newer construction in many cases).

Old 06-27-2013, 05:49 PM

What about the Ashburn area? He has another potential job in that area.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:31 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,227,230 times
Quote:
What about the Ashburn area? He has another potential job in that area.
If he takes an Ashburn job, you have the ability to go further out into western Loudoun and lose the congestion. But, at that point, you are getting into "small town" feel. If you want the conveniences of a "small city" feel, you will have congestion.

I live out in a small village in Loudoun. While I have extreme walkability within the town (grocery, restaurants, shops, etc), I must drive at least 20 minutes to get to any sort of fast food, big box, medical, chain restaurants. Works for me, but not everyone.

If the congestion of Bethesda worked you over, but you still want modern conveniences, I don't think NoVA is right for you.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,915,290 times
Quote:
Carlingtonian, there is really no need for that comment.
Actually, that is exactly the attitude in a large part of NoVa, where one in 12 residents are lawyers-yes that includes the sahms.

As a sahm (minivan died, now driving a civic) there are many family friendly/sahm parts in lots of nova. But unless you want to rent a smaller place, I don't think you'll find a >550k *AND* a >1 hour commute.

Its very high paced here- plus its very international here (Central Americans/Bolivians/Somalis/Saudis/afghanis/Koreans/Viets/ on and on and on..). Coming from your area, you may feel overwhelmed. Plus the traffic, even to the store or church-is murder.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:41 PM

4,904 posts, read 7,489,596 times
If he's working in Ashburn, look into either Purcellville or Round Hill. Both have developments of sfh of 4 bed/2 bath/2 car garage on quarter acres loaded with kids in that price range.

Kingsbridge, Villages of Purcellville, Villages of Round Hill are examples. Purcellville is really "Mayberry" with a small-town feel -- Fourth of July parades, Santa on a Firetruck riding through the streets in December, soccer, scouts etc. There is a Little League championship in Purcellville at Fireman's Field each summer. There is a large park between Purcellville and Round Hill with ball fields and a large outdoor swimming pool. Your mini-van will fit right in.

The schools are good and he can be in Ashburn in that 35 ish minute commute, especially if he works longer hours and would be returning home after the big rush hour.

Good luck.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:44 PM

4,904 posts, read 7,489,596 times
Here's an example in Purcellville

924 Devonshire Cir, Purcellville, VA 20132 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia