Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 09:13 AM

37 posts, read 96,926 times

Advertisements

OP again. So one thing that I failed to mention that is REALLY affecting my decision: I have not actually BEEN to this place in person - all of my interviews have been via phone. So as I think this through, I get more and more uneasy accepting this without even seeing the working enviornment or meeting the people I'd be working with face-to-face. They're a small company and they don't want to pay for me to fly out there...

Red flag?

I've been on a lot of interviews in my career -- and I can't think of ONE interview where I went to their office and did NOT want to take it after visiting. Would you ever take a job sight-unseen? I feel SO pressured right now. They want an answer by Monday because they want me to start ASAP. I can start working from home, but I will have to move there sometime in Septmenber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 10:11 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,786,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backstreetsbackALLRIGHT View Post
OP again. So one thing that I failed to mention that is REALLY affecting my decision: I have not actually BEEN to this place in person - all of my interviews have been via phone. So as I think this through, I get more and more uneasy accepting this without even seeing the working enviornment or meeting the people I'd be working with face-to-face. They're a small company and they don't want to pay for me to fly out there...

Red flag?

I've been on a lot of interviews in my career -- and I can't think of ONE interview where I went to their office and did NOT want to take it after visiting. Would you ever take a job sight-unseen? I feel SO pressured right now. They want an answer by Monday because they want me to start ASAP. I can start working from home, but I will have to move there sometime in Septmenber.
Hmmm. I'm not sure, to be honest. I don't think I'd go so far as to call it a red flag, but I would certainly be hesitant. What if you pay for the trip to come visit yourself? Will they let you do that and have a little bit more time to decide? I know that will cost some money, but I think it would be a small price to pay for peace of mind in making a decision like this.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 AM

21 posts, read 37,729 times
^ Indeed I did that just last week. A govt agency liked my resume and I had the chance to interview over the phone but chose to fly to DC at my own costs. If you're going to spend time with these people you will want to know everything else that could make or break your 9-5 experience.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:36 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,841,578 times
Quote:

Red flag?

My current job I did all the interviews via phone; got hired and moved. This is the second job that I have done this.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:03 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,945,423 times
OP I would say do it. I applied for a teaching position in fairfax and I'm going to be making around half of what you're making and I'm not as old you. It's not as big of a move for me since I live in VA and I've been to the area multiple times, but if you don't end up liking it you'll at least come out with the experience and can move back and possibly get another company to match your salary.

And I don't think of it as a red flag. People from around the world and the country move to the area to work so they can't possibly fly in everyone they're considering hiring.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:23 PM

34 posts, read 50,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I made more than that at 33 years old, and I'm in Construction Management. Nothing fancy. It's a very good salary, but not uncommon in this area.
Lol I know, anyone in ANY sort of management position (including grocery stores, cleaning companies, construction, etc) around here should be six figures plus. If you're not, you're just not negotiating properly. Don't give the OP misinformation based on your own faults.

OP, based on what I think your profession is, you should be asking for at least the top figure of their salarty range. No reason to have to "figure out crises" as some here are suggesting.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:38 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,731,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I'm sure it's different by industry, but I've been making six figures annual salary in NOVA since I was 28. I don't find it all that uncommon among my peers in this area.
If you don't mind my asking, you must be either a lawyer, lobbyist, investment banker, actuary, or an employee of a consulting company. Am I right?

I wonder if it's too late to change my liberal-arts major...

Old 07-19-2013, 03:49 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,178,476 times
Quote:
But I hate Minneapolis!
To me, this makes it so simple. I'd take a paycut if it took me from a place I hated to a place I think I'll love.

Quote:
But the job would be AMAZING for my career...
And this just confirms that. Better environment at home and at work? No-brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Go for it. You're single. You have a job lined up. You have a decent salary offer. You're young. If you don't take it, you will always wonder what it would have been like. If you don't like it, move back to MN in a year or two.
She's not single. Well...not unattached.

Quote:

Red flag?

Ah, this would cause me some slight hesitation as well. I would tell you to fly out on your own dime but they want a decision immediately. Hmm, how bad do you think it could be? There's probably nothing to worry about but you never know. My girlfriend works right by Dulles in Sterling and she lives in Clarendon. She drives to work but is considering trying the transit sometime. Direct Message me if you want. Good luck in the decision!

Old 07-19-2013, 04:15 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,945,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
If you don't mind my asking, you must be either a lawyer, lobbyist, investment banker, actuary, or an employee of a consulting company. Am I right?

I wonder if it's too late to change my liberal-arts major...
I didn't see that earlier, but a young person making a six figure salary outside of the occupations you just mentioned isn't as normal as that person tries to make it. I looked at the median salaries by age groups in DC and found that most young people don't make that much until after they're in their 30s. I'm sure it can't be that different with Fairfax.

It would appear a lot of 20 somethings aren't making six figures

I managed to pull up the data for Fairfax:

American FactFinder - Results *

It's household, but we can look at single households though it doesn't break it down by age and see that you're probably right Carlingtonian lol.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:22 PM

540 posts, read 791,444 times
I love Minneapolis! I'd go back in a minute if there were jobs in my unique field. But I suspect you are like my wife, and just can't deal with the winters (I consider our current temps here, 95 and humid, to be about equivalent to -10F in terms of wanting to be outside).

That said, I moved here about 9 years ago from the Cities with a $42k salary and having never stepped foot in the DC area. I wouldn't hesitate based on money. You will end up spending more on housing and maybe going to the bar, but costs here other than that are pretty equivalent. Watch for the personal property tax on cars. If you have a $500 car payment, that means you probably have a pretty new and decent car, and you will need to budget for several hundreds of dollars a year for that.

The boyfriend part is interesting. Is your family in the MN/WI area? Flight costs are terrible between here and MSP because Delta has the firm grip. If you are going to try long-distance, budget that also. The drive is horrible, 18-19 hours and you have to schedule around Chicago's rush hours.

If by any chance you are a native Minnesotan and a Vikings fan, there is a fan club that meets in Pentagon City. 50 to 100 people show up, depending on the opponent and situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia