Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 01:35 PM

143 posts, read 335,962 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a "do it yourself" car wash in NOVA, preferably in Fairfax or Falls Church area, and have not seen a single one. Basically, you bring the bucket and supplies, and they only supply the water through a high power hose, and a spot you can stand to wash and wax your car. (They had a lot of these places in Massachusetts when I lived there...)

I can't wash my car at my condo, and I would rather do it manually than go thru a car wash.
Anyone familiar with this type of set up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 02:01 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,655,576 times
We have some down in the southern end of Prince William County and there are more the farther south you go.

I honestly think that Fairfax County has an aversion to car washes and "discount" gas stations such as Wawa and Sheetz. All my Fairfax friend complain of this.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:06 PM

56 posts, read 196,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
We have some down in the southern end of Prince William County and there are more the farther south you go.

I honestly think that Fairfax County has an aversion to car washes and "discount" gas stations such as Wawa and Sheetz. All my Fairfax friend complain of this.
I'll 2nd that. When I first moved here I was really surprised at the lack of "do-it-yourself" car washes & mega gas stores. Guess I'm so used to those things popping up everywhere in previous areas I've lived.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:27 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,425,783 times
I'm pretty sure there aren't any in Fairfax, Arlington, or Alexandria counties.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:55 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,722,491 times
There's one in Rockville, MD--I think on Bou Avenue, just off Rockville Pike--in case you're ever up that way.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:08 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,672,871 times
I don't think you'll ever see DIY car washes in the close-in NOVA burbs. Who is going to spend millions to buy, or tens of thousands per month to lease the land necessary and pay huge water bills for a service that people don't want pay more than a few dollars for?

Existing ones may start disappearing too....the EPA is cracking down. Fairfax County was ordered to stop washing school buses until waste water recovery systems could be built. This is baffling to me because the dirt on the buses originated from the road in the first place....so why can't you return the same dirt to the road? Maybe require some kind of "green" soap, but should be it. Anyway, FFX Co has installed a high-tech (and dollar) bus washer machine/recovery system at one of the garages....and like most high-tech stuff, it's broken much of the time.

As far as mega gas stations....same reason, high land costs. Contrary to popular belief, there is next to money in selling gas. The profit center is coffee, soda pop, etc. It's hard to sell enough of that stuff in places where land is sold/leased by the square foot.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:40 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,444,707 times
There is one in Leesburg. It's tucked back behind the post office on Catoctin Circle so it's hard to find.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:49 AM

172 posts, read 329,512 times
In the past, while getting gas, I have seen people washing their cars here (the station has special area for washing cars). It is close to your preferred location (Fairfax/Falls Church). The station is on the corner of Lee Hwy and Blake. Not sure how much they charge, so try calling them first, before driving there.

CITGO
FAIRFAX XTRA MART
9501 BLAKE LANE
FAIRFAX, VA 22031
(703)591-4477
http://www.citgo.com/Locator/StoreLocator.jsp

Old 08-08-2013, 07:19 AM

957 posts, read 2,021,029 times
Not quite in Fairfax, but Sweetwater in Sterling is DIY. I haven't been there in 10 years, so I can't comment on the price or quality, but they are still open at least.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:58 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,934 times
You could always just pull into a condo or apartment complex and use theirs. They don't know if you are actually a resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia