U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:49 AM

30 posts, read 121,296 times

Advertisements

Why are Fairfax, Loudoun, and Montgomery-MD counties considered more desirable than Prince William & Prince George counties in the DC metro area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 11:05 AM

24,463 posts, read 34,537,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGAKATS View Post
Why are Fairfax, Loudoun, and Montgomery-MD counties considered more desirable than Prince William & Prince George counties in the DC metro area?
ffx, loudoun, and mont have higher scoring schools, more expensive houses, and less crime than PW and PG. I'd argue that you can find desirable areas in each one of these counties whether it be PG or Loudoun.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:33 PM

15,400 posts, read 26,201,353 times
I've heard it goes all the way back to the original deeds of land. When the two princes were granted land, they couldn't be bothered to come take a look. That's one of the reasons they got stuck with the crappy land.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:26 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,515,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I've heard it goes all the way back to the original deeds of land. When the two princes were granted land, they couldn't be bothered to come take a look. That's one of the reasons they got stuck with the crappy land.
Rep points for the excellent historical perspective

I do have to say that Prince William county is coming along. It has some really super nice areas - like Haymarket and Gainesville, Manassas bordering Clifton, etc., etc. Then it has some bad areas - like Dale City and I guess parts of Woodbridge. I do hope that in ten or twenty years, PW is lumped in a better category. But I don't think it's actually in the category with PG - isn't that the focus of the crime report every night on the news? (unless I'm mistaken, which I don't think I am).

Old 11-13-2007, 12:53 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,582,213 times
Quote:
Safety is a day dream in a big portion of PG county. PW county is just country. They seem to be living 3 to 4 yrs behind besides having some safety issues in some areas, including the KKK.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:42 PM

352 posts, read 1,458,223 times
Quote:
Montgomery and Fairfax County is closer in than Prince William, so that's an easy answer for that. Loudoun County is more commutable because the Dulles Toll Road backs up far less than I-66 or I-95, which are the main commute routes for Prince William. The coming new Metro line to Dulles and points west will further exascerbate that. Also, Loudoun has a reputation for excellent schools, and while Prince William has some excellent schools which certainly rival Loudoun's (and Fairfax's, and Montgomery's), they also have some that aren't seen as quite as good on the eastern half of the county, and that hurts the reputation.

As for Prince George's, it's really simple - the schools are horrific, and the crime rate is very high, especially inside and around the Beltway. I know, I know, there are exceptions - Hyattsville has a neat Route 1 corridor project going up, and Upper Marlboro can be very nice. I'm sure there are a couple others as well. Overall, though, anyone with kids who can afford to is going to either avoid Prince George's or send their kids to private school. I'd literally rather send my kids to DC schools than most PG districts, if that makes the point any better.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-13-2007, 04:08 PM

I agree with knopfler. The comment that PW is "just country" is just not true at all. To the extent that it *is* country - well, that's all the good stuff - there is some space, some acreage, but not in all parts. Maybe we can distinguish between how things are perceived, and how they truly are, to those who have really lived there??? Maybe PW is perceived as being out in the country, but for those of us who have lived there (and remember, I only own VA property in McLean at this point so I'm no fanatic), well, we know the nuances.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:31 AM

15,400 posts, read 26,201,353 times
Loudoun County is also attractive because several major employers are right here (or in Reston, which borders the county)--for many people there's no need to commute to the city.

The new Janelia Research center is a prime example. These are businesses which tend to attract high-salaried, well educated people. These businesses are also involved with the schools in Loudoun. The science students work on projects at Janelia, the computer students have mentors at AOL, etc.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:49 AM

Yes, Loudoun is great. The real question is: what is the formula for attracting these excellent employers, and educated populace?

PW is getting the FBI, and (a) state Medical Examiner's Office. PW was supposed to get Eli-Lilly, but the project was, I think, scaled down, but no fault to the county, I think.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:27 AM

192 posts, read 201,350 times
Eli Lilly's insulin plant was abandoned. The steel was already in place and they decided to produce it at their Italian plant instead. They did not want to make their whole global supply at Indiana and PW. They wanted a more balanced production and distribution system. PW is plain and simple second rate to FFX--always has been, always will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia