Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 07:22 PM

9 posts, read 22,300 times

Advertisements

I will work in Foggy Bottom, my wife will work in the Rose Hill area of Alexandria (near van dorn and franconia). We don't like the housing there, but want to minimize both commutes and maximize quality of life.

We can afford up to $4000/mth. We would like to rent a nice 2000+ sq-ft house in a walkable neighborhood. We've been looking in Del Ray, Shirlington or parts of Old Town Alexandria but it is hard to find a rental that is well-maintained and not really small.

There just isn't much quality rental stock out there.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 07:41 PM

9,883 posts, read 14,150,141 times
Rentals tend to be small in square footage. Typically, it's apartments, condos, townhouses, or smaller houses. The larger house market is limited, no matter what geographical market you are in. This is especially true in an older, close-in suburb such as Del Ray.

Why don't you purchase to open up your options?

Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 PM

There is a good possibility that we both will have different jobs (in WDC metro) within a few years, so we don't want to buy right now. We want to rent.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:04 PM

9,883 posts, read 14,150,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revheck View Post
There is a good possibility that we both will have different jobs (in WDC metro) within a few years, so we don't want to buy right now. We want to rent.
I hear you, and that is a valid reason; but, please know, that no job is secure forever. You should expect, in this area, that jobs may only last a few years. Del Ray is a fantastically convenient location to the entire region. If you are reluctant to buy based on location, don't buy in Howard County or Faquier County. That argument doesn't really hold up in Fairfax County.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:10 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,731,804 times
Kingstowne 22315 - that will get you close to the metro, and is the closet nice area to Rosehill. $3300-4000 will get you a SFH, about ~3000sq ft. Slightly less will get you a TH.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:53 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,184,562 times
When it comes to housing choices in Northern Virginia, most people have to compromise in some way, whether it be location, price or amenities.

Kingstowne may be indeed your best option if you want a newish SFH that favors your wife's commute. I'm not sure if I would call Kingstowne walkable - it may be within its various developments - but it is a five-minute drive at most to convenient midscale shopping and dining. If you like the somewhat organic charm of Del Ray, Old Town and Shirlington, you may find Kingstowne to be a bit pre-packaged; the good news is that you'd be only 15-30 minutes away from those neighborhoods.

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-07-2013 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-07-2013, 05:53 PM

Of the 28 rental homes currently list in 22315 Kingstowne, nearly all (26) are townhomes. We are looking for a real single family house in a walkable neighborhood.

I know such houses exist in places like Del Ray, but nobody seems to want to rent nice homes for any amount, except very tiny and not good condition.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:42 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,184,562 times
Quote:
Of the 28 rental homes currently list in 22315 Kingstowne, nearly all (26) are townhomes. We are looking for a real single family house in a walkable neighborhood.

I know such houses exist in places like Del Ray, but nobody seems to want to rent nice homes for any amount, except very tiny and not good condition.
Like I said, life in NOVA is often about compromise.

Maybe check out the 22309 zip in the unincorporated Fairfax County section of Alexandria. (Note that Kingstowne is also part of "unincorporated" Alexandria.) There may be SFHs available in your budget. It's walkable to the waterfront, bikeable to Old Town, a short drive to Rose Hill and an express bus ride via George Washington Parkway to DC.

Neighborhoods walkable to interesting town centers are few and far between in Northern Virginia. Options in Arlington may not necessarily meet your preferences (Crystal City) or fall within your budget (Clarendon/Virginia Square). Falls Church City (like Alexandria, there's a Fairfax County section, too) may be your next best bet but I have no knowledge of the housing stock or rental prices.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:27 AM

1,751 posts, read 2,407,632 times
As others have pointed out, Vienna and Falls Church are your best bets. You are already looking in Del Ray. If you want to stay closer in to Alexandria also look at Belle Haven in the 22307 zip. There are a few rentals there that meet your criteria.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:49 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,731,804 times
Quote:

This is an area with a high concentration of military - who mostly move in the Summer. Depending on when you are looking to move, you will see a change. Also many are not posted on the regular websites. Try Militarybyowner.com. I agree most of Kingstowne in TH, but there are SFH's you just have to be aware they go fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia