Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:51 PM

727 posts, read 1,533,366 times

Advertisements

It looks like I'll be teaching in Caroline County! It's not Fairfax, but it'll be a good place to cut my teeth, gain experience, and get my Postgraduate Professional license. Then I can try again in a few years.

With that said, I am looking at moving up to Stafford County so that I can be closer to NOVA, and the rent looks comparable to what I'm paying in Richmond, plus the driving times from, for example, Aquia Harbour, are actually shorter than driving from Richmond according to Google Maps. But that doesn't take driving in rush hour into consideration. I would likely leave my home at 6am so that I can get there before 7, then probably leaving to go home around 3, or 5 during wrestling season. What's traffic like on I-95, Route 2, and Route 3 like at that hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:07 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Congratulations!

What is that, about a 40 minute drive south? What rush hour traffic would there be? You go past Fredericksburg. I don't think you would get close enough to Richmond for their rush hour traffic, would you?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Congratulations!

What is that, about a 40 minute drive south? What rush hour traffic would there be? You go past Fredericksburg. I don't think you would get close enough to Richmond for their rush hour traffic, would you?
According to Google Maps it's 42 minutes from Aquia Harbour, and even 49 minutes from Triangle. As far I know it's smooth sailing on 95 once you get south of 610. Based on my experiences driving in and around Fredericksburg I should be okay.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,667,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
It looks like I'll be teaching in Caroline County! It's not Fairfax, but it'll be a good place to cut my teeth, gain experience, and get my Postgraduate Professional license. Then I can try again in a few years.

With that said, I am looking at moving up to Stafford County so that I can be closer to NOVA, and the rent looks comparable to what I'm paying in Richmond, plus the driving times from, for example, Aquia Harbour, are actually shorter than driving from Richmond according to Google Maps. But that doesn't take driving in rush hour into consideration. I would likely leave my home at 6am so that I can get there before 7, then probably leaving to go home around 3, or 5 during wrestling season. What's traffic like on I-95, Route 2, and Route 3 like at that hour?
Traffic is fine from DC southward from 7am-8am the entire way (at least on Monday or Tuesday). It takes me 1 hr to go 65 miles. When I do the same thing on Saturday at 11am it is a minimum of 2 hours.

I'd suggest the Fredericksburg area (Spotsylvania) over Stafford in this case as well. You still have access to NOVA in the Fredericksburg area and although we lost by a few percent in the poll you would arguably be in NOVA whilst in the Fredericksburg area.

Check google maps for traffic at that time as well just to be sure but I head South at times that should be worse than you specified (for far longer distances) and have had no issues.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Traffic is fine from DC southward from 7am-8am the entire way (at least on Monday or Tuesday). It takes me 1 hr to go 65 miles. When I do the same thing on Saturday at 11am it is a minimum of 2 hours.

I'd suggest the Fredericksburg area (Spotsylvania) over Stafford in this case as well. You still have access to NOVA in the Fredericksburg area and although we lost by a few percent in the poll you would arguably be in NOVA whilst in the Fredericksburg area.

Check google maps for traffic at that time as well just to be sure but I head South at times that should be worse than you specified (for far longer distances) and have had no issues.
That's the tricky part about using Google Maps is that it uses traffic that moment you look it up; It would be really nice if Google Maps had an option in which you can put in the time you need to be there, and it would tell you the ideal time to leave (my TomTom did that). Also, I am driving away from DC, so I take that into consideration as well; based on my experience, if I were to move to Stafford, I should try and live south of 610 since that's where the construction for the HOT lanes start.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
That's the tricky part about using Google Maps is that it uses traffic that moment you look it up; It would be really nice if Google Maps had an option in which you can put in the time you need to be there, and it would tell you the ideal time to leave (my TomTom did that). Also, I am driving away from DC, so I take that into consideration as well; based on my experience, if I were to move to Stafford, I should try and live south of 610 since that's where the construction for the HOT lanes start.
Actually Google Maps has (or recently HAD) a slider which you could see the different colors at the time period specified. I noticed that they did something weird to Google Maps recently though. I have not explored it's functionality and it frustrates me a bit.

You are right to move South of 610. Eventually, the Hot Lanes will probably run to exit 126 as well.

I live in Spotsylvania because under PERFECT circumstances (which seldom exist anymore), it is about 1 hour to DC or Richmond. Lay me off in DC, I can work in Richmond. Lay me off in Richmond I can work in DC. Keep it up and I'll keep my house open and run to RTP...hey that rhymed!

Eventually, I hope that I don't have to work at either...but I need to make as much money as I can so I remain patient hoping that my children will have a better commute than me one day.

Last edited by va_lucky; 08-18-2013 at 11:04 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 06:16 AM

I went to google maps and checked it out. Go to the word "change" in the lower left hand corner and click on it. Select the time and day. I seriously use this to accept or refuse jobs.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:34 AM

137 posts, read 231,254 times
Never count 95 out for backing up in the opposite direction of rush hour. Faced it many times heading southbound in the morning. Fewer times north, but still enough. So, from exit 143, you should still ad on another 15 to 20 minutes on average to your commute both ways.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rae-zor View Post
Never count 95 out for backing up in the opposite direction of rush hour. Faced it many times heading southbound in the morning. Fewer times north, but still enough. So, from exit 143, you should still ad on another 15 to 20 minutes on average to your commute both ways.
I have been doing the Southbound DC to Spotsylvania commute on Mondays and Tuesdays for 8+ months now between 7am and 8am and it is always an hour rain or shine. Now Saturday it is 2.5-3.5 hours. Other days of the week, I don't know about.

The only hint of a delay is at Backlick Road and then you are ok if you don't stay in the right lane.

If Wednesday-Friday are different animals, please share. I am considering changing my shift to include Wed-Friday Southbound between 7am-8am.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:50 AM

10 posts, read 9,211 times
how's the Lorton to Fredericksburg portion?

I started a post last wk (or two) and would be curious to get your opinion - it helps a great deal!

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia