U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 11:14 AM

48 posts, read 175,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You can also order them online. (PretzelsDirect.com) Someone gave me some for Christmas and they aren't bad. You can freeze them (separate them first), and then eat when you want. Of course, there's nothing like one handed to you on the street corner, but these aren't too far off.

I love you.

These look great and should at least be as good as when I bring them home from South Jersey. I will definitely bookmark that site for when a craving hits. A little pricey for a regular order but I'd pay it once in a while, absolutely!

Edit: I was looking at the gift box of 10, which is expensive. But the larger quantities are very reasonable (since I'd freeze most of them).

Thanks! Auntie Anne's and the freezer case ones just don't cut it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 11:27 AM

Well, that didn't take long. Just placed an order for 50.

Thanks again!

Old 08-17-2013, 11:49 AM

52 posts, read 89,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyApplebottom View Post

1) I would definitely not underestimate the traffic problems here; live as close to your work as you can. I telecommute now but, when I commuted from Herndon to Rockville, it took me 45 min to an hour to get to work by 7 AM (normally 35 minutes when not rush hour) -- and this was assuming no accidents or any else causing traffic jams. I also think my commute (Toll Rd to 495 to 270) was probably the better in the area, compared to those who travel 270S, 66W, 95N, or 495 in Montgomery County, MD.

I-66, I-95, 495, and contributing roads along them is big league traffic. Make no mistake about it.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:37 PM

4,081 posts, read 5,702,222 times
You mentioned possibly working in McLean, VA. If your worksite has a McLean address, then it is PROBABLY actually in this very busy place, the home of 80,000 employees: Tysons Corner, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-17-2013, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 8,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyApplebottom View Post

I grew up in the Philly suburbs (NJ) and have lived in Herndon for about 9 years now. I do miss the Philly soft pretzels and good pizza though. LOL When I visit family, I stock up on pretzels, wrap separately in wax paper & plastic wrap, place in freezer bags, and freeze. When you want a pretzel, remmove the wax paper/plastic wrap, then wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave until heated. Just a tip for any Philly folks missing a taste of home.
Oh my goodness, I don't know what my kids are going to do, they are hooked on the pretzels here. GREAT tip about freezing them! We know the owner of the local place, and when he sees our kids stroll in he loads us up with bags of them, so now I know what to do with them.

Great point about not reading into the tiredness as unfriendliness. God knows how many times my wife and I probably offended folks who didn't know we were just exhausted at the end of the day.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:46 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,746,813 times
From my trips to the area, I never got the sense that people were snobby or elitist.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:05 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,075,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaplanter View Post
My wife and I are planning to move down from Philadelphia next summer, and discovered this site just a few days ago. It has been an INCREDIBLY valuable and informative resource for us! Naturally we wanted to ask folks about housing, neighborhoods, costs, etc only to find that all our questions and concerns were already addressed in previous posts. This our first post, but you all should know there are probably countless others who anonymously benefit from your inputs here - so thanks!!

One question we still have is more social ... what are the people like in the area? What words would you use to describe the personality of the region? What are y'all like?

Probably too broad a question... but just trying to get a pulse on who our future neighbors will be
Well, to put it bluntly, you will probably not need to worry about your neighbors because you will never meet them. They are too busy working. If it's a really close-knit neighborhood they'll wave hello every once in a while and you'll be on a first name basis with one or two. Your kids might get to know some of theirs if theirs are not too busy with after-school classes and activities. People are not unfriendly, but they're all so busy that socializing is difficult.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:45 PM

325 posts, read 854,165 times
Keep in mind that although NoVA is very diverse and has lots of transplants, it's not a random sample. That is to say, NoVA draws a certain kind of person who makes the decision to live there as opposed to MD. Conversely, a certain category of people makes the decision to live in MD rather than NoVA, based on any number of criteria.

It's hard to pin down these criteria and explain the difference, but in my experience, people from NY/NJ will often settle in the MD suburbs. People from other, non-Northeastern areas like the Midwest or the South will prefer NoVA.

I am trying to steer you in the direction of MD, which I believe is more suitable for someone from Philly. You're probably accustomed to Euro immigrants, liberal politics, and Northeastern food, among other things, and that is not really on offer in NoVA, a much more "real American" kind of place (despite its superficial diversity).

Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaplanter View Post
Oh my goodness, I don't know what my kids are going to do, they are hooked on the pretzels here. GREAT tip about freezing them! We know the owner of the local place, and when he sees our kids stroll in he loads us up with bags of them, so now I know what to do with them.

Great point about not reading into the tiredness as unfriendliness. God knows how many times my wife and I probably offended folks who didn't know we were just exhausted at the end of the day.
Yes, freezing them works well! Not as good as fresh, of course, but still pretty good. If my choice is between a reheated Philly pretzel and "none", guess which I will pick. LOL I am excitedly looking forward to gorging on pretzels, thanks to the link posted by spencgr.

I just noticed your post about driving on 76. Ugh, I took a day trip from NJ to the Philadelphia Outlets last year. It took ages to get through the area around the Zoo on the Schuylkill Expressway. Yes, that is very similar to how traffic can get here.

From your posts, it sounds like you and your family will be just fine in NoVA. I think you'll get more specific information once you narrow down some places based on needs & wants, as things can vary greatly even within the same town. The people on this forum are a great resource and very helpful, from my years of reading.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:32 PM

8,908 posts, read 11,263,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post

It's hard to pin down these criteria and explain the difference, but in my experience, people from NY/NJ will often settle in the MD suburbs. People from other, non-Northeastern areas like the Midwest or the South will prefer NoVA.

I am trying to steer you in the direction of MD, which I believe is more suitable for someone from Philly. You're probably accustomed to Euro immigrants, liberal politics, and Northeastern food, among other things, and that is not really on offer in NoVA, a much more "real American" kind of place (despite its superficial diversity).
I run into Northeastern people (especially Philly) all of the time. They, like me, chose VA. While many may also chose MD, I don't think your comments are founded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia