U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:50 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,324,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaOne View Post
Northern Virginia is more culturally diverse than Philly, IMO. The pace here is faster, cost of living is higher, it's the ideal place for people who wants to advance their careers. You can also live an average life here - you can do that anywhere, but there are probably places better suited to that than northern Virginia.

People are polite for the most part. But keep in mind in any major city, as is the same with Philly, people don't stop or slow down to acknowledge strangers because there's just too much people around.

There is also a huge span of income levels and social classes, so people tend to only socialize within their own circles. Moving up through the social classes through the years, I've made new friends while lost some old friends. But this again is the same with any major city.

The one thing I would say about Northern Virginia is that the area is very practical. There is not a lot of flash or glitz. In fact it can be down right boring for some. People pretty much goes about their day getting stuff done and that's it. You'll have to dig a little to find what the area has to offer to you. But the good news is that as with any large city, there's a lot of variety in the area.
Yes, especially when it comes to automobiles. I have never seen so many bland vehicles in my life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 09:40 AM

59 posts, read 81,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Yes, especially when it comes to automobiles. I have never seen so many bland vehicles in my life.
lol... is that sarcasm I detect?

I get the feeling many people around here don't feel like they've really bought a car until they've blown at least $50,000 on one.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:06 AM

540 posts, read 693,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by someyoungguy View Post
lol... is that sarcasm I detect?

I get the feeling many people around here don't feel like they've really bought a car until they've blown at least $50,000 on one.
Actually, I agree with the prior comment. Even if people are dropping $50k on a car, they are doing it with fairly boring sedans. I think it is something about the traffic, where a nice interior is of the utmost importance, and the style is secondary. One thing I was initially surprised at coming out here was the complete lack of convertibles (compared to Minnesota!). Then I came to the understanding that sitting on an exhaust-filled highway does not make for a fun ride.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:37 PM

Lol, no not sarcasm. Everything looks like a jelly bean or everyone seems to be into 50k+ trucks thinking that they are a status symbol. I think the lack of auto enthusiasm here comes from the overly strict traffic laws in the State. Yet when it starts raining or snowing, people think it is time to drive 90+ because the cops don't like to get wet.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:51 PM

727 posts, read 1,386,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I am glad to finally be out of NOVA - just because it was not my cup of tea.
People are highly educated, stuck up, too busy for friends, everyone has a masters and look down on those who don't, everyone is from somewhere else - they are mostly in NOVA for career advancement and most of them do not stay that long. If you are career driven and don't care about friends - this is the perfect place for you!
Of all the places I've lived, I found NOVA to be the easiest place to make friends. When I lived up there I was always out doing something, as opposed to here in Richmond where I spend most of my weekends at home because most of my friends are tied up with spouses and kids.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:09 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,455,562 times
Great food. I mean, really good food, especially in NOVA/ Fairfax County. Really good that the girls and guys are younger, because anybody over 30 have to work extra hard to compensate for the 40% metabolism slow down.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
Great food. I mean, really good food, especially in NOVA/ Fairfax County. Really good that the girls and guys are younger, because anybody over 30 have to work extra hard to compensate for the 40% metabolism slow down.
Hahahahaa so true! I looked down at my stomach at the age of 30 and asked myself what the heck that was! I recently had an endoscopy just to be sure!

Old 08-18-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
Of all the places I've lived, I found NOVA to be the easiest place to make friends. When I lived up there I was always out doing something, as opposed to here in Richmond where I spend most of my weekends at home because most of my friends are tied up with spouses and kids.
Are you serious? If so, good for you. I have found nothing but 2 face bastards at every turn.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:15 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,300,877 times
I don't think NoVa life is for everyone. The pace is very fast, lots of diversity, very expensive, and everyone here has money making material thing important. Living in NoVa I see more luxury vehicles than any other region of the country. Loudoun is the wealthiest county in the US but most people there don't flaunt their money like people in Fairfax seem to. Loudoun has yet to realize all the money they have and so the areas still have a very rural feel in most parts. But Leesburg and Ashburn are beginning to look like the wealthy areas of Fairfax. Personally I would choose Leesburg. Although a 40 minute drive from DC, it feels like a real town unlike Ashburn which feels fake to me. But I wouldn't go west of Leesburg because then you get into the rural areas that don't have much shopping and dining.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:05 AM

3,211 posts, read 8,510,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I run into Northeastern people (especially Philly) all of the time. They, like me, chose VA. While many may also chose MD, I don't think your comments are founded.
Me too. Housing costs and commutes outweigh political beliefs when choosing a place to live in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia