U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2013, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Brambleton, VA
2,136 posts, read 4,863,435 times
Reputation: 1294

Advertisements

50 Wealthiest Zip Codes in the Washington Region (Washington Business Journal - August 16, 2013)
-- Ranking determined by average disposable income and net worth

Of the top 20, 11 are in NoVA -- one in Loudoun, two in Prince William, and the rest in Fairfax County. The other 9 are in Maryland.

1. 22066 (Great Falls)
2. 22039 (Fairfax Station)
7. 22101 (McLean)
8. 22181 (Vienna)
11. 22124 (Oakton)
13. 20143 (Catharpin)
14. 20197 (Waterford) - only Loudoun zip in the top 20
15. 22308 (Alexandria)
17. 22207 (Arlington)
19. 20169 (Haymarket)
20. 20112 (Manassas)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2013, 01:04 PM
 
8,892 posts, read 11,242,816 times
Reputation: 17225
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
50 Wealthiest Zip Codes in the Washington Region (Washington Business Journal - August 16, 2013)
-- Ranking determined by average disposable income and net worth

Of the top 20, 11 are in NoVA -- one in Loudoun, two in Prince William, and the rest in Fairfax County. The other 9 are in Maryland.

1. 22066 (Great Falls)
2. 22039 (Fairfax Station)
7. 22101 (McLean)
8. 22181 (Vienna)
11. 22124 (Oakton)
13. 20143 (Catharpin)
14. 20197 (Waterford) - only Loudoun zip in the top 20
15. 22308 (Alexandria)
17. 22207 (Arlington)
19. 20169 (Haymarket)
20. 20112 (Manassas)
Curious to know how they know my (or anyone's) net worth and disposable income?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Brambleton, VA
2,136 posts, read 4,863,435 times
Reputation: 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Curious to know how they know my (or anyone's) net worth and disposable income?
It's based on Esri data analytics. Here is the Esri white paper on their general methodology.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 03:03 PM
 
5,109 posts, read 9,122,347 times
Reputation: 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
50 Wealthiest Zip Codes in the Washington Region (Washington Business Journal - August 16, 2013)
-- Ranking determined by average disposable income and net worth

Of the top 20, 11 are in NoVA -- one in Loudoun, two in Prince William, and the rest in Fairfax County. The other 9 are in Maryland.

1. 22066 (Great Falls)
2. 22039 (Fairfax Station)
7. 22101 (McLean)
8. 22181 (Vienna)
11. 22124 (Oakton)
13. 20143 (Catharpin)
14. 20197 (Waterford) - only Loudoun zip in the top 20
15. 22308 (Alexandria)
17. 22207 (Arlington)
19. 20169 (Haymarket)
20. 20112 (Manassas)
Thanks for sharing. You are a research whiz. But isn't #5 (Clifton) in NoVa (Fairfax) and isn't #8 the 22182 zip code in Vienna, rather than 22181? That would bring the number in NoVa up to 12 of the top 20.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 03:34 PM
 
1,024 posts, read 1,303,784 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
You could hypothesize to your heart's content (the ratios you have conjured up bear absolutely no resemblance to reality, of course), but all the evidence reflects is that the median (not average) income in Loudoun is higher than in Fairfax, and that there are more people with substantial net worths, or total assets, in Fairfax, as signalled by their purchases of more expensive real estate.

Now Loudoun is also smaller and trends younger than Fairfax, so the wealth disparity should dissipate over time, as more Loudoun residents work longer and build more wealth. Of course, over that same period, it is also possible that median incomes in Loudoun could decline if, for example, lower-income residents start moving into car-dependent older townhouse complexes in Loudoun and higher-income residents move back into closer-in parts of Fairfax that have been redeveloped and/or have better access to public transit.

In a forum ostensibly dealing with "data," it always helps to know the difference between average and median, or between income and wealth, even if the topics being discussed are as insignificant in the grand scheme of things as the differences between two of the country's most affluent counties.
The ratios were made up yes, they were just supposed to show you what I meant. Fairfax has a few pockets of uber wealthy, but the rest of Fairfax is just normal. Whereas most, if not all, of Loudoun is above the national average. Making Loudoun wealthier.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Brambleton, VA
2,136 posts, read 4,863,435 times
Reputation: 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Thanks for sharing. You are a research whiz. But isn't #5 (Clifton) in NoVa (Fairfax) and isn't #8 the 22182 zip code in Vienna, rather than 22181? That would bring the number in NoVa up to 12 of the top 20.
Whoops. #8 was my typo - it was supposed to be 22182. And yeah, totally overlooked Clifton for some reason.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 08:21 PM
 
4,711 posts, read 11,519,960 times
Reputation: 3789
Clifton might have been #4 if not for developer shenanigans that moved part of Centreville into Clifton's zip code.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 09:26 PM
 
5,109 posts, read 9,122,347 times
Reputation: 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
The ratios were made up yes, they were just supposed to show you what I meant. Fairfax has a few pockets of uber wealthy, but the rest of Fairfax is just normal. Whereas most, if not all, of Loudoun is above the national average. Making Loudoun wealthier.
You have a hypothesis, but not the data. The information that cdmurphy posted indicated that, of the top 20 area zip codes in terms of wealth, nine were in Fairfax and one was in Loudoun. If you look at other zip codes in the top 50 on that list, seven are in Loudoun and six are in Fairfax. So 15 of the top 50 were in Fairfax, and eight were in Loudoun. Maybe the data for the other zip codes below the top 50 are sufficiently skewed in Loudoun's favor to make the average net worth/wealth in Loudoun higher than in Fairfax, but you haven't shown that. Again, wealth is not the same thing as median income.

It doesn't really matter, but perhaps people on City Data should try to argue based on data, or well-informed models, rather than mere speculation and made-up ratios. When you claim that Fairfax is full of "just normal" areas, people aren't likely to accept what you're saying, because there are very few areas in either Fairfax or Loudoun that are "just normal" by national standards.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 10:50 AM
 
1,024 posts, read 1,303,784 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
You have a hypothesis, but not the data. The information that cdmurphy posted indicated that, of the top 20 area zip codes in terms of wealth, nine were in Fairfax and one was in Loudoun. If you look at other zip codes in the top 50 on that list, seven are in Loudoun and six are in Fairfax. So 15 of the top 50 were in Fairfax, and eight were in Loudoun. Maybe the data for the other zip codes below the top 50 are sufficiently skewed in Loudoun's favor to make the average net worth/wealth in Loudoun higher than in Fairfax, but you haven't shown that. Again, wealth is not the same thing as median income.

It doesn't really matter, but perhaps people on City Data should try to argue based on data, or well-informed models, rather than mere speculation and made-up ratios. When you claim that Fairfax is full of "just normal" areas, people aren't likely to accept what you're saying, because there are very few areas in either Fairfax or Loudoun that are "just normal" by national standards.
Dude, just because your argument is falling apart doesn't mean you need to attack me, calm down haha. You clearly live in Fairfax and are missing the glory days when Fairfax was the #1 location for the wealthy. If Forbes and the federal government both say that Loudoun County is the wealthiest in the nation, that is what I am gong with. I don't even live in Loudound County so I am going completely off statistics. On average the people of Loudoun County are wealthier, and Forbes data will show you that. Just because Fairfax has more millionaires, doesn't make it overall wealthier. That's like saying Asia is wealthier than North America. Asia has more millionaires than North America, but as a whole their countries are pretty poor. Same with this scenario, Fairfax may have more millionaires, but on average Fairfax residents make about $15,000 less than Loudoun residents.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 11:19 AM
 
5,109 posts, read 9,122,347 times
Reputation: 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Dude, just because your argument is falling apart doesn't mean you need to attack me, calm down haha. You clearly live in Fairfax and are missing the glory days when Fairfax was the #1 location for the wealthy. If Forbes and the federal government both say that Loudoun County is the wealthiest in the nation, that is what I am gong with. I don't even live in Loudound County so I am going completely off statistics. On average the people of Loudoun County are wealthier, and Forbes data will show you that. Just because Fairfax has more millionaires, doesn't make it overall wealthier. That's like saying Asia is wealthier than North America. Asia has more millionaires than North America, but as a whole their countries are pretty poor. Same with this scenario, Fairfax may have more millionaires, but on average Fairfax residents make about $15,000 less than Loudoun residents.
I'm not attacking you, but it's clear that you don't understand the difference between median income and wealth/net worth. The fact that median income in Loudoun is higher than in Fairfax does not establish either than median wealth in Loudoun is higher than in Fairfax (that might also be the case as well, but you certainly haven't shown it) or that there are more wealthy individuals in Loudoun. The Forbes data simply tracks median income. Whether that data gets characterized in rankings of the "richest" or "wealthiest" counties doesn't change the fact that it is not a barometer of wealth.

Also, as I'm not 12-21, please take the "dude" stuff to Reddit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top