Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:36 PM

5 posts, read 21,363 times

Advertisements

Hi. We have lived in Arlington for two years and want to purchase a house. We checked in the Woodbridge area but the school system hasn't been highly recommended... We have started to look in Fairfax County. Apart from the obvious good places, like Falls Church City, Fairfax City, etc... What other places would you recommend? We want somewhere family friendly with GOOD SCHOOLS. Also we want a place that is not predominantly Hispanic. For the purpose of not offending anyone :-) I want to clarify that I am puertorrican but my husband is from Michigan and his Spanish vocabulary consists of hola, casa, and I think two other words so he wants to be able to talk to his neighbors, do cookouts, talk football, guys stuff, etc... We are a young (in our 20's) professional couple with two small kids and want to be able to socialize in our neighborhood... We also want our kids to go to schools were most children are English Proficient. Any suggestions?

Last edited by wCLARK; 11-13-2007 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: Forgot Details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 05:06 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
I don't know what your budget is or if you are looking for a TH or SFH, but you might want to look in Burke (22015), Fairfax (22032) or West Springfield (22152). It is very family oriented, good schools, many parks and amenities for children, and conveniently located to shopping.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:36 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
two areas i'd consider if i wanted to save a little $ but still have a decent quality of life are Belleview and Hollin Hall. Now both these areas are close to Rt. 1 which based on you criteria you wouldn't like, but these two areas are tucked far enough away so that you wouldn't have to deal with all that trash on Rt. 1. Now the schools in these areas aren't the greatest in Fairfax County but they are still are very good.

also based on your criteria i'd avoid east springfield and anything along Rt. 7 west of alexandria city and east of falls church city.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:02 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
Most home buyers are looking for family-friendly areas with good schools, and many also would like to avoid neighborhoods with high concentrations of non-English speaking immigrants (though most won't come right out and say it). Without knowing either your budget or the location of your workplaces, it's difficult to provide any helpful guidance. However, as a general rule, the "better" schools are located in the more affluent neighborhoods, and you can expect to spend at least $500K for a house in those areas, especially for neighborhoods near the Metro or inside the Beltway.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:34 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
To find out about a specific school, go to FCPS Home Page Redirect Page. Click on "Schools and Centers" near the top. When you find the specific school, click on "Profile," then "Demographics." As you've said, the racial percentages don't matter, but you'll see the percentage of English-proficient students.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:20 PM

847 posts, read 3,519,166 times
I would definitely let the schools be your driving force, do your research on the schools and then work with a realtor to find you housing in that part of the county in your price range. FCPS is a great school system but there are some schools that are better than others and some you will want to avoid, especially if you are concerned about the percentage of spanish speakers.
I would also look at Loudoun County, not sure where you work if that would be too far, but the schools in Loudoun are great, for the most part-avoid Park View, and the housing is more affordable and your hubby will have a better chance of conversing in English at the local BBQ!
I grew up in NOVA and have worked in FCPS, let me know if you have questions.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,147 times
Default North Springfield & Ravensworth neighborhoods (22151)

We moved to this are 3 years ago and love it. The neighbors are wonderfull, and everyone takes the time to get to know each other which is hard to find in a city area. There is quite a mixture of older people who have lived here since they were built in the 1960s and new families.
It is an established neighborhood, with elementry schools within walking distance in the neighborhoods and a lake with a park and trails in the neighborhood. Beautiful trees and trails throughout. It is close to I-495 and very accessable to anywhere around the DC area.
The schools are fairfax county but I don't have school age kids so can't speak for them, but many neighbors moved here for quality and convience of the schools in the neighborhood.
Worth a drive to see anyway.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:31 PM

53 posts, read 205,180 times
You should definately check out Burke. We have loved it here and its a great time to buy. Burke Station Square is a super neighborhood and has great schools. Kings Park Elementary does a great job. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:34 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by commandingspirit View Post
Kings Park Elementary does a great job. Good luck!
Actually, I believe Kings Park Elem is one of the schools who has failed to meet the No Child Left Behind standards for the second year in a row.

I have friends (more than one family) who have multiple children and who are now opting for private schools because KP Elem has been so unfavorable. One family opted for homeschooling after KP experience. Another of my friends said that neither her 3rd or 6th grader has ever had an assigned written report ever....for anything, in school. There is also a very high rate of ESL students and lower SES than most every other elem school in Burke.

I would seriously re-consider Kings Park West school. I would look into Fairfiew Elem (Burke/Ffx Station), Sangster Elem (Burke), Canterbury Woods Elem (off Braddock Rd), Mantua Elem (Fairfax).

The Mantua Elem/Frost MS/Woodson HS pyramid can't be beat for the price of homes... (short of moving to ultra-expensive McLean and/or Great Falls, that is...)

Old 11-20-2007, 10:53 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
Actually, I believe Kings Park Elem is one of the schools who has failed to meet the No Child Left Behind standards for the second year in a row.
May I ask where is the data showing that Kings Park ES has failed? I looked at the FCPS website and it shows as fully accredited for the past three school years. I do understand that some schools are better than others even within a reputable county like Fairfax. While that's not our school, I'd like to learn the best sites to check this data. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia