Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 07:13 AM

8 posts, read 17,813 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about taking a job in Alexandria, and I live near the intersection of Sudley Manor Drive and Ashton Avenue in Manassas. The job is near Marlo Furniture on General Green Way. Need some recommendations for best routes. I was thinking 66 thru Centreville to Ffx Cty Parkway South to Old Keene Mill to...? Haven't had to go that direction at those times in a long time, so I just don't have a sense of where the best or worst traffic would be along that route. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 07:56 AM

6,506 posts, read 8,259,353 times
Even the best way is going to be bad. Is taking the VRE an option?

Old 08-24-2013, 11:29 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,111,869 times
The obvious way 66 to 495 to 395 may be the most practical. I don't see how using the FFX parkway will help. All the roads between the parkway and the beltway have lots of lights and more local use than you might think. Some roads like Braddock or Little River Turnpike have GMU or another driving destination on them. Old Keene Mill has a ton of lights and will lead you to Springfield which can be messy in the morning.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:03 PM

9,478 posts, read 8,898,452 times
If your in warehouse and start at 530, you'll.be in good shape. t what's your hours going to be?

Old 08-27-2013, 04:22 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,831,073 times
I live on the other side of Manassas but used to live where you did OP. Going past Alexandria to 295 every day - the best way I could find (even with the lights) was to get off on the FFX County Parkway to Braddock Road. Braddock moves pretty well. Even now, I still take it. I love off 28 and it is still a lot faster than doing the 495 to 66 thing or vice versa.

But, OP - depending on your hours, it may not even be an issue.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:34 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,495,242 times
I'm your neighbor apparently and I used to commute every day to Alexandria.

Don't do Braddock. It gets very very congest during rush hour. You should do Fairfax Pkwy to Old Keene Mill. There is never traffic, just traffic lights. And then get onto 95 north the one exit to Edsall Road and there won't be that much traffic.

You could even completely avoid all highways if you want from Manassas and do this: It's a little confusing but much more relaxing.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...2,3,4&t=m&z=13

Old 08-27-2013, 11:02 AM

8 posts, read 17,813 times
Thank you to all responders. These are great ideas.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I'm your neighbor apparently and I used to commute every day to Alexandria.

Don't do Braddock. It gets very very congest during rush hour. You should do Fairfax Pkwy to Old Keene Mill. There is never traffic, just traffic lights. And then get onto 95 north the one exit to Edsall Road and there won't be that much traffic.

You could even completely avoid all highways if you want from Manassas and do this: It's a little confusing but much more relaxing.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...2,3,4&t=m&z=13

The problem with Henderson/Clifton, etc. is that if there is any accident or disabled vehicle....it can take a looong time to finish that commute, not to mention if you get stuck behind a school bus. It also gets really backed up at the sharp curve during rush hour and that can take quite some time.

Braddock does get congested, but it still moves really well. I take it every day at various times (between 2:30pm and 7pm) and it isn't that bad. I also find that even when it isn't congested, I still get stopped at many of the same lights so it doesn't really make a difference.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:05 PM

810 posts, read 1,019,558 times
I'm with gomason and would avoid Braddock Road during rush hour as well. I used to commute every day from Chantilly to the Springfield area, and the area near George Mason University on Braddock Road is nightmarish. I agree that Fairfax County Parkway to Old Keene Mill is much better.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:39 AM

The area around George Mason is much improved to what it was, even just 6 months ago. I think the FFX way to Old Keene Mill is a great way, I just don't know what it is really like since I don't drive it during rush hour. But - Braddock is really not as bad as it sounds. I am currently driving it 5 days a week and have been for the last 10 months now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia