Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 11,369 times

Advertisements

I moved here over ten years ago with my husband and two kids from Fairfax, Va. looking for a better life. OMG, what were we thinking, LOL. Now, I don't want to offend anyone that has an affinity for Front Royal, all I am saying is it does not work for me. I live in a mountain community just outside of town and it's been rough from gunshots from our nextdoor neighbor in the middle of the night to just plain mean spirited people living in our community.
Is this unusual or do other people have similar problems living in a rural area? Ironically we have done everything possible to get along with people here and have just come to the conclusion it's not meant to be.
I think anyone considering moving here, please do your homework, and don't make the mistake I made thinking because it was a rural area that the people would be friendly and easy to get to know.
We plan on moving when the market is more accomodating, until then just biding our time.
One more thing to consider is the amount of time you spend driving everywhere from work, shopping,activities, etc. It takes a toll on you after awhile living out here, so much money spent on gas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 12:04 AM

123 posts, read 243,163 times
Let me quote my brother, who has 30 years in the title business: "Manassas is like Paris (France) compared to Front Royal."
The IRS says it's 55 cents per mile to operate a car.....Do you think they do that so people will pay less taxes?

Old 04-22-2013, 06:11 AM

367 posts, read 884,347 times
Lived in helltown for 1 year and it was the worst. NEVER again would I live in such a town, people were a whole different breed, over half the town is on GA. The freaks all came out in the warmer months....

Old 04-22-2013, 06:56 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post
Lived in helltown for 1 year and it was the worst. NEVER again would I live in such a town, people were a whole different breed, over half the town is on GA. The freaks all came out in the warmer months....
What is GA?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:02 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,781,748 times
Government Assistance

Old 04-22-2013, 07:47 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetofly2 View Post
I moved here over ten years ago with my husband and two kids from Fairfax, Va. looking for a better life. OMG, what were we thinking, LOL. Now, I don't want to offend anyone that has an affinity for Front Royal, all I am saying is it does not work for me. I live in a mountain community just outside of town and it's been rough from gunshots from our nextdoor neighbor in the middle of the night to just plain mean spirited people living in our community.
Is this unusual or do other people have similar problems living in a rural area? Ironically we have done everything possible to get along with people here and have just come to the conclusion it's not meant to be.
I think anyone considering moving here, please do your homework, and don't make the mistake I made thinking because it was a rural area that the people would be friendly and easy to get to know.
We plan on moving when the market is more accomodating, until then just biding our time.
One more thing to consider is the amount of time you spend driving everywhere from work, shopping,activities, etc. It takes a toll on you after awhile living out here, so much money spent on gas
I like Front Royal, but it does help having roots in the community (family goes back 150+ years). I do caution when people extoll the virtues of small town living (including my own), whether that experience is possible for people who aren't from there.

I lived in Vienna and it took a while to drive and do errands (grocery shopping, Home Depot, etc.) So that wouldn't change if you moved closer in.

I don't know if you ran into some bad neighbors or what; I assume you got along well/better with folks further in. If that is the case then good.

I've found the opposite, folks in Arlington didn't give a *** about us, folks in Vienna just seemed busy, folks in Leesburg are willing to include us.

Life's too short to be miserable. If it's only money don't be afraid to bite the bullet; people often move out for a year or two then discover commuting isn't all that much fun.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:06 AM

244 posts, read 565,418 times
The best advice in this regard I received was to live among your peers. You know what you want, and you know what social class you belong to. Departing too far from that will generally cause you to be miserable. There are nice and trashy rural areas, just as there are nice and trashy urban areas.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:27 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaOne View Post
The best advice in this regard I received was to live among your peers. You know what you want, and you know what social class you belong to. Departing too far from that will generally cause you to be miserable. There are nice and trashy rural areas, just as there are nice and trashy urban areas.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:33 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetofly2 View Post

Thanks for the honest feedback. Front Royal always seemed a bit creepy to me for some reason (conjuring up visions of "Deliverance"). Maybe those neighbors are some of Sarah Palin's "real Americans."

Where does DH work?

If he commutes very far then I'd bet he's getting worn down. We knew people who lived around Front Royal and commuted daily to NASA in Greenbelt, MD - in a VW beetle - ouch ouch ouch.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-26-2013 at 09:57 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 07:30 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times
ha ha I never have been a fan of Front Royal... Berryville is great though and other small towns out that way, but Front Royal, yeah no... not for me. Time to move sounds like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia