Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:48 AM

104 posts, read 204,935 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed (assuming you do HOV in the AM) the increase in traffic the last 2 mornings on I-66 starting from the tollroad (the slow down looked to be on the tollroad overpass too) and continuing to DC? It was horrible yesterday and thought it was fluke but today was the same, though not as bad. It seemed like the HOV restrictions were lifted from the tollroad east as I saw many, many non-HOV compliant vehicles on 66 within the beltway. It was way too many to think that they all wanted to cheat the system.

Anyone have a clue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 12:16 PM

241 posts, read 987,539 times
The HOV restrictions have been lifted? That's news to me.

I've seen an increase in traffic on the toll road and I-66 ever since schools opened up.
Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays have always been horrible other than in summer, no?

Old 09-18-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samara11 View Post
The HOV restrictions have been lifted? That's news to me.

I've seen an increase in traffic on the toll road and I-66 ever since schools opened up.
Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays have always been horrible other than in summer, no?
Nope, I'm not saying they've been lifted. I was asking the question. Schools been in session for a few weeks but this horrible traffic WITHIN the beltway started just yesterday and continued today. It's bumper to bumper from the tollroad to close to DC and that's hardly ever happened w/o good reason. The traffic pattern changed at the tollroad access to 66. The main thing that made me ask about the HOV restrictions lifted is because there were tons of non compliant vehicles. It's too coincidental that hundreds of single occupant cars decided to head onto 66 from the tollroad.

Just wondering if anyone has insight..More curious than anything.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:30 PM

540 posts, read 790,885 times
Any official notice would have been widely disseminated and would have a very good reason.

Sad to say, I think this is just normal crappy traffic plus sun glare. Most of the single occupancy vehicle I see are the hybrids that have exemptions.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
Any official notice would have been widely disseminated and would have a very good reason.

Sad to say, I think this is just normal crappy traffic plus sun glare. Most of the single occupancy vehicle I see are the hybrids that have exemptions.
Yeah, that's what I figured.

But just the shear volume of HOV violators the last 2 days made me wonder if something had changed all of a sudden. I cannot emphasize that enough. Oh well, back to the grind!

Old 09-18-2013, 03:08 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
Yesterday morning I passed three state trooper cars in a row with violators pulled over.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:02 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnycarch View Post
Yeah, that's what I figured.

But just the shear volume of HOV violators the last 2 days made me wonder if something had changed all of a sudden. I cannot emphasize that enough. Oh well, back to the grind!
While school started a couple of weeks ago I've always heard the real bad traffic truly doesn't show up for another week or two. I think that's when everyone is really back to work (including those without kids who may wait until Labor Day to take a late vacation) plus everyone is done figuring out their true driving times. I know my DH always noticed it took a couple of weeks. Maybe that's just what you are experiencing.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:46 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
Nah, there's just way more cheaters these days, it's human nature to try to cheat and get someyhing they didn't earn

Old 09-19-2013, 06:12 AM

So..left about 10 minutes earlier this morning and a big difference. Though I'm not sure if it's the earlier time or not. I did notice police presence immediately after where the tollroad comes into 66. That's where I've noticed the majority of the cheaters arriving from....Gotta love the traffic!

Old 09-19-2013, 06:44 AM

540 posts, read 790,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnycarch View Post
So..left about 10 minutes earlier this morning and a big difference. Though I'm not sure if it's the earlier time or not. I did notice police presence immediately after where the tollroad comes into 66. That's where I've noticed the majority of the cheaters arriving from....Gotta love the traffic!
I walked the bridge over to the WFC metro at about 8:10am and it was backed up beyond the Leesburg Pike entrance (which is my marker for a bad traffic day), but it seemed to clear out after Sycamore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia