Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 02:29 PM

107 posts, read 250,884 times

Advertisements

I received a federal violation notice (ticket) 31 days ago (in Shenandoah NP) and have not yet received a "Notice to Appear". The ticket has not been paid as I was waiting for the court date. I am interested in having a court date, but the court is in Charlottesville so if I does not work into my schedule I may end up paying the ticket. The officer gave me a ticket only to teach me a lesson, he stated that he would not have given it to me if I just gave the right answer. I am pretty sour about it. The information on the back of the ticket states that if you do not receive a notice after 45 days you need to call a number. Perhaps the officer decided not to submit the ticket after all, is that possible? Should I eventually call the number - what if the officer decided not to submit the ticket? Anyone have experience with these matters? I'd rather let sleeping dogs lie, but there may be severe consequences with the choice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 02:33 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,829 times
There is a good chance that he entered the wrong address in his system and it was mailed to the wrong place. I'd call vs. the chance of a default judgment or failure to appear.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:47 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Federal violation on what?

Old 09-20-2013, 02:00 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Federal violation on what?
I'll put my money on alcohol violation, since it was at a national park and it was something he would lie to the ranger about. Just a guess though.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:40 PM

107 posts, read 250,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
I'll put my money on alcohol violation, since it was at a national park and it was something he would lie to the ranger about. Just a guess though.
Thanks, for your very conclusive response. I am a female and it was on a bicycle. And there was no lying involved. How about them apples?

Old 09-20-2013, 08:07 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,458,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo View Post
I received a federal violation notice (ticket) 31 days ago (in Shenandoah NP) and have not yet received a "Notice to Appear". The ticket has not been paid as I was waiting for the court date. I am interested in having a court date, but the court is in Charlottesville so if I does not work into my schedule I may end up paying the ticket. The officer gave me a ticket only to teach me a lesson, he stated that he would not have given it to me if I just gave the right answer. I am pretty sour about it. The information on the back of the ticket states that if you do not receive a notice after 45 days you need to call a number. Perhaps the officer decided not to submit the ticket after all, is that possible? Should I eventually call the number - what if the officer decided not to submit the ticket? Anyone have experience with these matters? I'd rather let sleeping dogs lie, but there may be severe consequences with the choice. Thanks.

Curious . What was the specific question he asked that you 'failed to answer correctly' that he felt the need to 'teach you a lesson'?
This sounds 'fishy' or a little "Barney Fife'ish" - small minded power tripper in uniform looking to wield power, a la, DHS Airport Security theater of the absurd.

Violation for what? Not wearing a bicycle helmet? Not on a designated path? Not in proper control of your 'vehicle', no license or permit fee sticker of some sort on you?

Also, did he circle a preprinted number to call?
Was it a form which required you to fill out information? He may have been checking you out. Or seen it as a way to hit on you

If you are a good looking woman I'd be extra careful of any potential suspicious characters - at first pass from the way you describe the situation - it doesn't sound right but maybe that's just me.

I'd call the number perhaps under the auspices of you found this from a while back and wasn't sure of what to do.... what is the process.... etc...

My only time being asked anything from a NP type law authority while in a NP was to verify permit / payment type things.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:32 AM

513 posts, read 961,904 times
Federal violation? The worse they can do is put you in the Supermax prison in Colorado. F the man.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:55 AM

270 posts, read 909,009 times
Just follow the instructions. After the 45th day, call. If there is no ticket, they will say so. If there is a ticket, it is not going to go away because you didn't call, although it could go away for other reasons.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:51 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Thanks, for your very conclusive response. I am a female and it was on a bicycle. And there was no lying involved. How about them apples?
But! You still aren't saying what the specific violation is for. How do you expect responses when you post something so vague?

Old 09-22-2013, 03:10 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,830 times
Quote:
Hey, I told you it was just a guess - of course there's a greater chance I'm wrong than I'm right, but since you post very vague and curious information, what else is there to do but sit around and speculate?

Statements like this with no fuller explanation leave us all scratching our heads:

Quote:
The officer gave me a ticket only to teach me a lesson, he stated that he would not have given it to me if I just gave the right answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia