Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 01:38 PM

320 posts, read 482,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
It kind of makes sense. I always feel like takes a few DoD civilian servants out there in some way/shape/form to support a military person. How to you insist that the military stay active, yet furlough their support structure (much of DoD). While many DoD civil servants never work overseas or on a base, just about everything they do is in support of the troops. If they are off for any real length of time, support/supplies/everything the troops need or use in their jobs gets slowed down or put on hold. Just having that one or two essential person working in each division of DoD isn't cutting it, they are just putting out fires.
All true. [non-hostile question:] But what about, for example, operating expenses the civilian workers need to do their job? Does "Pay Our Military" extend beyond salary? If so, how does that happen without a congressionally approved budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 01:44 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
All true. [non-hostile question:] But what about, for example, operating expenses the civilian workers need to do their job? Does "Pay Our Military" extend beyond salary? If so, how does that happen without a congressionally approved budget?

No clue!

Old 10-05-2013, 02:29 PM

320 posts, read 482,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
No clue!
Thanks!

Old 10-05-2013, 02:42 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,749,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I hope these contractor companies reimburse their employees; the fat-cat CEOs and lobbyists are not going to hurt; they can well afford to do the decent thing for their workers. It's also in the long-term interest of those companies to retain their employees and keep morale high.u
Unfortunately, that's wishful thinking. What with sequestration & bugdet cuts, these contracting firms are no longer making as much profit as they used to, so their ability to keep their employees on the bench with full pay is just a thing of the past. the furloughed folks just stay home without pay. If they save up enough paid time off then they can use their PTO until it's done, then go to furlough. No such thing as back pay for them either. It's the price you pay for being a contractor, I guess.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:05 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Unfortunately, that's wishful thinking. What with sequestration & bugdet cuts, these contracting firms are no longer making as much profit as they used to, so their ability to keep their employees on the bench with full pay is just a thing of the past. the furloughed folks just stay home without pay. If they save up enough paid time off then they can use their PTO until it's done, then go to furlough. No such thing as back pay for them either. It's the price you pay for being a contractor, I guess.
I don't think it's really hit them yet: and they'd sure like you to believe this.

As federal belts tighten, contractor CEOs enjoy million-dollar raises | Federal Times | federaltimes.com

Old 10-05-2013, 03:44 PM

294 posts, read 373,421 times
I hope the Senate signs off on the Federal Employee Retroactive Pay Fairness Act soon so everyone on here effected can worry a little less. In my building alone I know a few neighbors where a paycheck missing half the expected amount of cash could cause HUGE problems because either both spouses work for the feds or they are a single-income household with kids, etc...

Old 10-05-2013, 06:34 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,364,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
House just passed bill authorizing back pay for federal workers. Believe it or not, the vote was 407-0.
Why is this? Is it because a shutdown is different than a furlough? When workers are furloughed to save money they don't get paid.

edit: Every article I read about this refers to them as "furloughed workers".

Old 10-05-2013, 06:35 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,346,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
In my building alone I know a few neighbors where a paycheck missing half the expected amount of cash could cause HUGE problems because either both spouses work for the feds or they are a single-income household with kids, etc...

It's not your problem, they should have been maintaining a cash reserve and/or tap into their TSP. It's a scary thought that Federal employees have financial issues. Kinda wonder why we are in this situation to begin with.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:53 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,790,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Why is this? Is it because a shutdown is different than a furlough? When workers are furloughed to save money they don't get paid.

edit: Every article I read about this refers to them as "furloughed workers".
Well, there is a difference between an agency initiated furlough of its workers due to budget cuts and involuntary furloughs that result from Congress failing to enact a budget. In the former, it's because Congress didn't allocate enough funds to the agency and in the latter it's because Congress hasn't authorized any funds for the agency. Historically, I believe Congress has always paid furloughed federal workers that were furloughed as a result of a government shutdown. I don't believe that is the case with regard to agency initiated furloughs, although I don't know that agency initiated furloughs have ever occurred on a widespread level prior to the sequester. I have heard some speculate that federal workers will eventually be compensated for furloughs caused as a result of the sequester, but that may simply be wishful thinking. Only time will tell I suppose.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:55 PM

15,176 posts, read 27,929,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
That's one reason I will never work for a defense contractor, even though the money is reportedly good. They can get away with this when the economy is bad, but when the pendulum swings back and there are more jobs than people to fill them, they'll be scrounging for employees and wondering why no one is interested.
I used to work for one for many yrs. (had to leave for health reasons) - total of from 11-16 employees - no extra $$ in overhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia