Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 03:47 PM

254 posts, read 424,100 times

Advertisements

If it does, I think that will make it the record for shutdown days. While it sounds cool on paper when we are stuck in the office wishing for a long break from work, I found myself today bored and kind of missing work. Am I nuts? I would have liked to go just a couple of hours haha. Today I spent most of the day catching up with emails, organizing, laundry, and cleaning up the place. This is after I got up to go to the gym at 5am when it opened.

What am I going to do tomorrow?

Anyone else wish they could go to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 04:08 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
If it does, I think that will make it the record for shutdown days. While it sounds cool on paper when we are stuck in the office wishing for a long break from work, I found myself today bored and kind of missing work. Am I nuts? I would have liked to go just a couple of hours haha. Today I spent most of the day catching up with emails, organizing, laundry, and cleaning up the place. This is after I got up to go to the gym at 5am when it opened.

What am I going to do tomorrow?

Anyone else wish they could go to work?

It's funny isn't it. I have been working from home since 9/17 (after the Navy Yard shooting). I always thought it was my "dream" to telework. I gotta tell you--I am feeling horribly isolated and disconnected. I have realized that I *need* people.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:51 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,506,545 times
Anyine know if the Marine Corps memorial will be barricaded up?

Old 10-02-2013, 06:01 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Anyine know if the Marine Corps memorial will be barricaded up?

Their website states they are closed.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:42 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,159,601 times

As long as congress keeps getting paid, it's a game to them. So my guess is it'll go on until at least late November, maybe into 2014.

Personally, I think they should solve this the way the Vatican elects a new pope: Lock everyone in. No leaving the chamber until the matter is solved. No pay, no phones, no messages until you do. No food except the crappy cafeteria food that gets sent in. Then we might actually get something done.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-03-2013 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: deleted orphaned quote and reference to it

Old 10-02-2013, 07:48 PM

254 posts, read 424,100 times
Seems to be a lot of pessimistic people here lol. Anyways, am I supposed to be filing or getting ready to file for unemployment? How does this all work? I swear working for the federal government is no where near as 'awesome' as I was told when I worked in the private industry haha.

I am not sure how you file for unemployment if it is assumed we will all get back pay at some point later on. This is so confusing.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:55 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,392,482 times
I remember the last time this happened. I was on annual leave and visiting NYC. Luckily we visited The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island the first day of our arrival. Then the next day the close down began. Our hotel was full of tourists from overseas who were in NYC for a chess championship. I felt so sorry for them because there were so many points of interest that they could not visit.

This is absolutely outrageous. Look at the hundreds of thousands federal employees (I was one) who want to work and need to work. The younger generation may very well be living from paycheck to paycheck and a letter from their agency, for creditors, will not help. The creditors need to pay bills, too.

Not only is it outrageous it is also embarrassing. The strongest country on the planet is "ruled" by elected politicians who can't get along and don't care a flip about the population. They seem to forget that WE VOTE and this time around the memory of this will be with us a long time.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:43 AM

989 posts, read 2,862,377 times
I'd be very surprised if back pay was authorized this time around... Climate is and has been for a long long time that federal employees are overcompensated. So the general public will be very upset with their "leaders" if they authorize back pay for fat cat federal employees.

Half my neighborhood has at least one person on furlough. And a few other contractor neighbors are facing it next week.

Virginia unemployment can be filed after a week. The max is $378/ week...

Old 10-03-2013, 05:06 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,732,829 times
The "grand deal" looks like it may be coming together so my guess is that things will get resolved (and the government reopened) by October 17th (or close to it).

Old 10-03-2013, 05:11 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,475,715 times
The most frustrating thing from all this is that the Congress is getting paid through the shutdown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia