Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:33 PM

301 posts, read 691,994 times

Advertisements

So I haven't read every post in this thread, but I just read an article about this in the Post. What's the argument here? Frankly, I'm not too concerned about my tax dollars with this issue...I'm more concerned about riff raff living near me. Call me an a-hole...I don't care...I have 2 little kids and I don't want criminals in my neighborhood. I'm all for affordable housing as long as it truly benefits people in need like teachers, firemen, cops, etc., like the article says. However, my gut tells me this isn't the case and that the housing will go to anyone who makes less than 45k/yr. Let me ask this...are any background or credit checks done on people to qualify for these units? If so, then I'd support this program. Otherwise, I'm not interested in becoming MoCo part II. And yes, I'm very familiar with MoCo as I work there, my wife is from there, my extended family lives there, and I have several friends there...and if there's one complaint about the place, it's always about subsidized housing (and its high taxes). While MoCo has some nice areas...go visit most of Silver Spring, Wheaton, Germantown, etc., that's where you'll see a difference between MoCo and FFX Co.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:53 AM

513 posts, read 962,550 times
How much economic benefits do Section 8 and Affordable housing bring to a community. They do not pay taxes. Use food stamps at Walmart. Do not support the arts in the area. Do not do charitable works beyond their churches. The only reason these units are built are so greedy developers can get their high end condos and office buildings signed off on by the county.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:22 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,843,493 times
Everyone that lives in affordable housing are not criminals, and many do not use food stamps. As long as you keep these assumptions, you will never get it.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:36 AM

320 posts, read 481,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolli71 View Post
However, my gut tells me this isn't the case and that the housing will go to anyone who makes less than 45k/yr. .
This could describe a college-educated federal worker at the GS 6-7 level. Is that the "riff raff" you had in mind?

Old 10-20-2013, 08:46 AM

74 posts, read 95,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
This could describe a college-educated federal worker at the GS 6-7 level. Is that the "riff raff" you had in mind?
The homeless and those recovering from drug abuse are the targeted groups for these bedroom-free units. Young professionals have been mentioned as an afterthought, but it will all be subsidized at below market rates.

As the Post article says:

"Its tenants, however, are recovering drug addicts, ex-cons and drifters who used to be homeless."

Placing these elements into neighborhoods designed for families is an inappropriate use and could result in crimes against children and reduction in their quality of life. The homeless, etc. would be better served living near public transportation and jobs.

As Pat Herrity says, “When you move into a single-family neighborhood of Fairfax County, you don’t expect to be near illegal or legal boarding houses.”

Fairfax is an illegal immigrant Sanctuary County, then complains that there are too many poor so they have to put them in your neighborhood. What the county should be doing is trying to maintain the quality of life.

Edit: I just saw a post on this forum "Young Family Moving to Herndon." They mention, "I am also concerned about the neighborhoods as we have lived in a safe town where most people don't even lock their front doors." "We are looking for good schools and a safe neighborhood..."

Do you think they'd like to move next door to 75 units of recovering drug addicts, ex cons, etc? If the studio apartment amendment passes, I'd tell them that they might want to look in Loudoun County instead.

Last edited by PetaltoMetal; 10-20-2013 at 10:12 AM..

Old 10-21-2013, 06:15 AM

301 posts, read 691,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
No, as I said in my post, I'm all for it if it truly benefits people in need like teachers, cops, etc. GS-7 federal workers would obviously fall into this category too -- I didn't realize I had to spell out all the categories.

What seems to be a common complaint from those I know in MoCo is that, instead of young professionals, these housing units are going to suspected drug users or to families of unemployed parents w/ several kids who rely on the govt. to provide food and housing for them. It also doesn't help that the kids are usually troublemakers in the neighborhood and that there's a constant flow of "visitors" to the home throughout the evening.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:03 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,518,863 times
Where should these people go other than "not near me?"

Old 10-24-2013, 08:19 AM

74 posts, read 95,401 times
I was just reading more about the studio apartments that the county wants to be able to put into neighborhoods. Apparently the county is participating in something called 100,000 Homes. Wherever they put these folks, they won't even have to be recovering. They can move in complete with their addictions. So what do you do when your 8-year-old daughter just wants to have a normal kid's life and walk to her friend's house and comes across someone tripping on drugs?

'Rather than imposing conditions on housing such as sobriety or employment, the campaign’s model quickly provides a stable place to live, not just a shelter bed."

Finding homes for the homeless in Fairfax County - The Washington Post

Jobless and subsidized to be free to roam your neighborhood, it reminds me of the saying, "idle hands are the devil's workshop."

Old 11-15-2013, 10:29 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,321,173 times
The biggest issue with the proposal has now been corrected with an amendment not allowing them from low-density.

Thoughtful discussion and debate prevailed; despite xenophobic hysteria not because of it

Annandale VA: RSU proposal revised to bar them from low-density neighborhoods

Old 11-16-2013, 06:44 AM

490 posts, read 925,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolli71 View Post
So I haven't read every post in this thread, but I just read an article about this in the Post. What's the argument here? Frankly, I'm not too concerned about my tax dollars with this issue...I'm more concerned about riff raff living near me. Call me an a-hole...I don't care...I have 2 little kids and I don't want criminals in my neighborhood. I'm all for affordable housing as long as it truly benefits people in need like teachers, firemen, cops, etc., like the article says. However, my gut tells me this isn't the case and that the housing will go to anyone who makes less than 45k/yr. Let me ask this...are any background or credit checks done on people to qualify for these units? If so, then I'd support this program. Otherwise, I'm not interested in becoming MoCo part II. And yes, I'm very familiar with MoCo as I work there, my wife is from there, my extended family lives there, and I have several friends there...and if there's one complaint about the place, it's always about subsidized housing (and its high taxes). While MoCo has some nice areas...go visit most of Silver Spring, Wheaton, Germantown, etc., that's where you'll see a difference between MoCo and FFX Co.
Ignorant statement from an ignorant person.....You know nothing about MoCo so please stop assuming.......There are SMALL parts in Silver Spring that have problems not all of Sliver Spring. Yes wheaton has A lot of illegal Immigrants but Fairfax isn't that far off either......the same for GERMANTOWN (one small part of germantown) doesn't represent all of germantown.......so you simply sound ignorant......stay in Fairfax!!!!!! Maryland beat Virginia in all aspects!!!!!!!! #Facts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia