Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:27 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,027,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I have inklings the term Negro is being rehabilitated. For one thing it was never meant as a pejorative as redskin was. I don't think MLK ever referred to black people as "shines" and I don't think Tecumseh referred to Indians as "redskins".
Where is this inkling coming from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 07:34 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,027,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
I find it unbelievable that this topic remains on the front of CNN's homepage when there is a government shutdown, unemployment that is sky-high (despite being reported as decreasing monthly), a health-care system that is on the brink of disaster, international relations nightmares with nuclear power in the hands of the wrong people, terrorism increasing, an educational system that sets up the majority of students to be forever in debt, a housing market that is setting up future generations to never think about owning a house (let alone ever actually looking for a house), and a nationwide epidemic on obesity that is now near 80% and climbing quicker than the weight scale of a Twinkie fanatic.

Oh and then there is the debt ceiling that 95% of Americans couldn't explain in 1 sentence what it really is.

So yes! Let's talk about changing the name of the Redskins! I find it ironic that in a country where native Americans want to be remembered and honored for their heritage and history, that the most profitable and popular NFL team who caries a symbol of their past and uses them as a brand name, would want that to be gone forever.

It's a convenient distraction. I have even noticed that they have tailed off a bit on the coverage after the House passed the bill that the government employees would get paid. What makes this whole topic stupid is that it is not really new. I mean this team has had this name how long? And the term Redskin has been defined for how long? Why now in any time, is this the time to talk about it? There have been protest for years. There is literally nothing different about this situation other than how the media is covering it.

Last edited by justtitans; 10-12-2013 at 08:18 PM..

Old 10-12-2013, 08:49 PM

10,260 posts, read 21,822,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetaltoMetal View Post
Well you aren't doing yourself any favors linking articles from a screwball racist website. Myself, I'm a left wing trade unionist and a firm believer in all races and ethnicities mixing it up together on the job and in the neighborhood and having happy, healthy mixed race babies if it so pleases them. I just like my history factual and my lack of illusions does not bespeak hostility or superiority.

As for Ferhenbach, I read most of his books including Lone Star and his Comanche book and while he's a vivid and entertaining (as well as exaggerating) writer he's not one to let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:02 PM

10,260 posts, read 21,822,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Where is this inkling coming from?
I'm running into the term more in print and from black people, not a lot, don't get me wrong. It's an inkling.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:32 PM

276 posts, read 449,886 times
Made up controversy drummed up by people who want to be offended on behalf of other people and a small number of Indian tribes looking for attention and money. Can't believe people don't have anything more important to worry about, but this has become par for course in an age where all you have to do to feel like you are changing the world is update your status or retweet a trending hastag.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:38 PM

6,590 posts, read 8,464,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
Is Synder really thinking about changing the history that makes up the WASHINGTON REDSKINS???? This can't happen!!!!!!
Pretty sure Dan Snyder has made it clear he is not considering a name change.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:52 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,775,209 times
The political correctness is maddening. These people who are making it an issue are racist themselves.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:40 AM

40 posts, read 58,770 times
Take the indian logo off the helmet and put a redskin potato on there and change the name to the "washington redskin potatoes".

Old 10-14-2013, 06:52 AM

267 posts, read 512,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
The political correctness is maddening. These people who are making it an issue are racist themselves.
Political correctness is a mental illness. These people need help and deserve our pity.

This entire manufactured controversy is being fueled by a small group of noisy sports writers and media personalities. While the vast majority of NFL fans collectively yawn.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,968,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpossum View Post
Take the indian logo off the helmet and put a redskin potato on there and change the name to the "washington redskin potatoes".
Or just the "potato skins", and get TGI Fridays to sponsor the team.

Mmm, maybe you could convince me to go to a football game if they gave you free potato skins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia