Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 05:54 AM

254 posts, read 423,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
What's next? Jeep should stop using the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee names? PETA will go after all the rest of the NFL and NCAA teams for making fun of animals?
In before the:

Washington Metros
Kansas City Reds
New York Blues
Cincinnati Oranges
Jacksonville Jerks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
What's next? Jeep should stop using the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee names? PETA will go after all the rest of the NFL and NCAA teams for making fun of animals?
Not that I really have an opinion on this, but Cherokee is not a slur or a derogatory name. It's a tribal name that the Cherokee nation identifies with. "Redskin" is a term that people used way back when to denote a racial difference. Sort of like when Asians were called "the yellow man."

Old 10-15-2013, 06:27 AM

267 posts, read 511,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
The fact is the NFL can force Snyder's hand. If the league feels the name reflects poorly on the league it will be changed.
Some people think that Roger Goddell (being the PC coward that he is) would just LOVE to make Synder change the name. But that would damage the Redskins brand which inevitably would result in a nasty lawsuit and probably a 9-figure settlement in favor of Synder.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:34 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
This really isn't a political issue, even though people are trying to turn it into one. Even though I agree that the word is a slur, it's ridiculous that it's being turned into an issue now. Instead of making this a news story, people who are offended by the word, should simply stop spending their money on the team.
I have never, living in the DC area throughout my childhood and part of my adult life, heard it being used as a slur. This is an example of PC madness with no real basis or evidence being used as a slur. The only people who ar4e making it a racial matter are racist themselves.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:52 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
And MLK referred to blacks as Negroes, as was the parlance of the time. Yet we would not tolerate a team with that name as a mascot. The name is offensive to most Native Americans. If Snyder had any decency, he'd change the name. I doubt he will.
Your comparison is inaccurate and arrogant if you dont happen to be black. While a team called, 'The Negroes' might be politically incorrect, I seriously doubt that a title like 'The Black Men' would be seen as offensive as you find
The Redmen. The two cultures do not paralell in history nor outlook in America.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:56 AM

267 posts, read 511,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
I have never, living in the DC area throughout my childhood and part of my adult life, heard it being used as a slur. This is an example of PC madness with no real basis or evidence being used as a slur. The only people who ar4e making it a racial matter are racist themselves.
I was wondering the same thing. Has anyone in the past century used Redskin as a racial slur? Has any native American currently living ever been called a Redskin in an offensive manner? I seriously doubt it.

I'd rank it on the same level as "kraut" or "mick". A relic from the past that is no longer part of the lexicon and is now more silly than derogatory.

And as someone stated above, the money these native American groups are wasting on these lawsuits would be much better spent combating the massive substance abuse problems that plague their communities.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:13 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Has anyone in the past century used Redskin as a racial slur? Has any native American currently living ever been called a Redskin in an offensive manner? I seriously doubt it.

I'd rank it on the same level as "kraut" or "mick". A relic from the past that is no longer part of the lexicon and is now more silly than derogatory.

And as someone stated above, the money these native American groups are wasting on these lawsuits would be much better spent combating the massive substance abuse problems that plague their communities.
There is no real basis stating that it has been used as a racial term. Certain NA groups used red paint to decorate themselves if it means anything. Like I've said I have never seen or heard the name used in a racial manner.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:37 AM

513 posts, read 961,530 times
Quote:
There is no real basis stating that it has been used as a racial term. Certain NA groups used red paint to decorate themselves if it means anything. Like I've said I have never seen or heard the name used in a racial manner.
Wow. So the Washington Darkies or Washington Yellowskins wouldnt be offensive? You better believe that Al/Jessee would sue the NFL if the name had any subtle racial overtones. Just because something is not a slur now, doesnt mean it never was. The redskins would sued several times in the past over the years and the courts hid behind the "statutes of limitations has passed". They never said the name is not racist.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:11 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
How many native Americans do you know or have even been around? Even with that said, how are any of us nonnative Americans going to tell them if the word is offensive or if they are still called that. That is like a white person telling me that no one uses the n word and even if they did it is not meant to be offensive. Regardless at some point the word is defined as a slur. There are a billion other words that can be used instead but ultimately that is Snyder's decision.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:25 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
The respectful discussion thus far has been appreciated. Although the topic has potential implications far beyond Northern Virginia and the DC metro in general, this thread will remain open as long as cordial debate continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia