Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 02:52 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,771,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
Wow. So the Washington Darkies or Washington Yellowskins wouldnt be offensive? You better believe that Al/Jessee would sue the NFL if the name had any subtle racial overtones. Just because something is not a slur now, doesnt mean it never was. The redskins would sued several times in the past over the years and the courts hid behind the "statutes of limitations has passed". They never said the name is not racist.
I can see it being racist, but not sure to who. Indians I've met were more tan or brown and didn't seem offended when the name is used for a football team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
How many native Americans do you know or have even been around? Even with that said, how are any of us nonnative Americans going to tell them if the word is offensive or if they are still called that. That is like a white person telling me that no one uses the n word and even if they did it is not meant to be offensive. Regardless at some point the word is defined as a slur. There are a billion other words that can be used instead but ultimately that is Snyder's decision.
This should have been addressed long ago but being that the team is a business, I have no dog in the teams fight to decide what they want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 07:47 AM

504 posts, read 1,213,287 times
Saw this and thought it's a GREAT idea and will solve all the problems...

How about Redskin Potatoes???

Old 10-17-2013, 09:10 AM

267 posts, read 512,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post

If (and only IF) they are ever forced to change the name by the NFL I think that would be a good way to solve the problem. But I'd still call them the Redskins, just remove the indian from the logo and go back to the old style "R" logo on the helmets. Have somebody dressed like a potato wander around the stadium during the games and you're all set.

That would be a good way to comply with the league but still keep the name and flip the bird to everyone involved.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:33 AM

504 posts, read 1,213,287 times
And here is the proposed new logo...

Old 10-17-2013, 09:35 AM

8,636 posts, read 9,146,585 times
Duds=Spuds

Old 10-18-2013, 06:40 AM

The PC hacks in the press have resorted to comparing the Redskins to the Nazis/Hitler.

They must be getting desperate.

Political cartoon compares Redskins logo to swastika, confederat - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Old 10-21-2013, 07:07 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post

Actually, I think this is a great idea. They could keep the name, get some positive PR, thumb their nose at the controversy, and give everyone a good laugh all at the same time. Make extra money serving gourmet fries and hot dogs serve on potato bread buns. Encourage fans to do the Mashed Potato when we score a touchdown. Plus, think how fun it would be to have Mr. Potato Head as the mascot.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:26 AM

529 posts, read 751,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
I can see it being racist, but not sure to who. Indians I've met were more tan or brown and didn't seem offended when the name is used for a football team.
Oh... Wait a minute. Who is that not offended? Who made him/her to represent the whole Indian community here?

Both darkies and yellowskins are not appropriate.

How about 'Washington Warriors'?

Old 10-21-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
Oh... Wait a minute. Who is that not offended? Who made him/her to represent the whole Indian community here?

Both darkies and yellowskins are not appropriate.

How about 'Washington Warriors'?
Since this discussion is losing steam lets take it in a new direction.

Lets say there is a small group of native Americans who are legitimately offended by the name Redskins. So? Why is their offense alone justification for changing the name?

Old 10-21-2013, 08:44 AM

254 posts, read 423,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post
Since this discussion is losing steam lets take it in a new direction.

Lets say there is a small group of native Americans who are legitimately offended by the name Redskins. So? Why is their offense alone justification for changing the name?
Hi. Your question reminds me of the radio this morning 99.5. There is a circus coming in town and they had fliers around the city with a circus clown as the picture. It was a regular circus clown that looked like this . Anyways, some lady had a problem and took it to court. The court ruled in favor of her. So the circus had to take down all the fliers because of this evil clown .

So 1 lady was able to:

-Force a circus to lose money since fewer people will know about it
-Those that work for the circus lose money because their salary is from profits
-With less money, they spend less money
-When they spend less money, businesses suffer - even slightly
-When businesses suffer, some are forced to go into default

And all this because 1 lady is able to change the world because she is afraid of this

RIP USA. Democracy what? Majority rules who?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia