Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,309 times

Advertisements

I just got a speeding ticket today because I was late for work. I was going 42 on a 25 zone which you could go 5 up.

But I also didn't get my license renewal because i was tight on money, I just got this new job so i was running late and was in a hurry.

When I got pulled over I told the officer the story that I went to go retake the test but i had failed it. The lady told me as long as you come back to retake the test again you will be fine.

The Officer told me, even with a expired license you could not drive, and I told the officer the lady told me i still could and i even confirmed it.

So i had to parked the car, because the officer did not let me drive even to my house when it wasn't that far.

I also got a speeding ticket last year for the same reason, and I got fired before the court date. I was going 72 on a 55 zone which you could go 5 up.

That time I gotten fired and I told the judge my story, I was tired from work working so many hours because everyone was quiting, and that I was tight on money and jobless after and that i trying to survive til i found another job that was in December.

This time I just got a new job after all the seasonal jobs i did, I finally got a part/ fulltime job. and I was afraid i was going to get in big trouble if i was late. Because if i gotten fired again, then I would be in the same situation last time.

Last time The judge lowered the charge for me, you guys think he will again if I told him my story?

But I also have to get the name of the lady who told me i could drive with a expired license because i'm new and its my first time renewing it.

I'm just really afraid of getting my second ticket. There not for dumb reasons. Even though I was speeding, but I only speed if I'm late for work. I just hope the judge is forgiving like the last time. Because I haven't been able to find a stable job, and I just found one now after 4 months being jobless. :l

What do you all think, Thought/ Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 03:58 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamas113 View Post
I just got a speeding ticket today because I was late for work. I was going 42 on a 25 zone which you could go 5 up.

But I also didn't get my license renewal because i was tight on money, I just got this new job so i was running late and was in a hurry.

When I got pulled over I told the officer the story that I went to go retake the test but i had failed it. The lady told me as long as you come back to retake the test again you will be fine.

The Officer told me, even with a expired license you could not drive, and I told the officer the lady told me i still could and i even confirmed it.

So i had to parked the car, because the officer did not let me drive even to my house when it wasn't that far.

I also got a speeding ticket last year for the same reason, and I got fired before the court date. I was going 72 on a 55 zone which you could go 5 up.

That time I gotten fired and I told the judge my story, I was tired from work working so many hours because everyone was quiting, and that I was tight on money and jobless after and that i trying to survive til i found another job that was in December.

This time I just got a new job after all the seasonal jobs i did, I finally got a part/ fulltime job. and I was afraid i was going to get in big trouble if i was late. Because if i gotten fired again, then I would be in the same situation last time.

Last time The judge lowered the charge for me, you guys think he will again if I told him my story?

But I also have to get the name of the lady who told me i could drive with a expired license because i'm new and its my first time renewing it.

I'm just really afraid of getting my second ticket. There not for dumb reasons. Even though I was speeding, but I only speed if I'm late for work. I just hope the judge is forgiving like the last time. Because I haven't been able to find a stable job, and I just found one now after 4 months being jobless. :l

Oh, no, these are for VERY dumb reasons. Given you history last year, this judge may not be so forgiving.

God, I feel like Judge Judy. Get a alarm clock or use the alarm on your cell phone. There are very few valid excuses for being late and having to speed. It is a *dumb* reason. You were late, so you put someone's life in danger by speeding?

Also, you must have misunderstood the DMV "lady." No one would tell you that it's okay to drive on an expired license. And if you have any common sense at all, you should know this.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:17 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
There is just so much wrong with this post that I don't know where to start.

"I was going 72 on a 55 zone which you could go 5 up."

What exactly does this mean? The 5 up part.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:20 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
I'm sure it means that he thinks you can go 5 mph over without the worry of getting pulled over. I know a LOT of people who think this.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:03 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,603 times
If you have negative DMV points from your last ticket I would HIGHLY recommend taking the driver improvement class to get +5 points to get yourself back in the positive. You can check at the VA DMV website.

Showing up to court 17 over on an expired license and negative DMV points...won't be pretty for you.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:03 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm sure it means that he thinks you can go 5 mph over without the worry of getting pulled over. I know a LOT of people who think this.
Generally true but I can't figure out why the OP felt it was necessary in the story.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:33 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamas113 View Post
It's obvious. Right now, get out the drivers manual and study it carefully. When you're ready go in and take the test and get your license. Do not fail the test. This is the first thing and you should get it done tomorrow if you haven't done it yet. Then do whatever you have to to take care of this ticket (hire a lawyer, take a driving class, whatever). Third, stop speeding, or thinking it's okay to go 5 up. Invest in a good alarm clock.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:11 PM

588 posts, read 1,439,117 times
When you go to take your driving test, please be sure to understand that a speed limit is a speed limit. There is no "you can go 5 up" rule.

Some police officers might not pull you over for going five mph over the speed limit, but they CAN. There is a pretty big difference, percentage wise, between doing 30 in a 25 and doing 75 in a 70. Many officers won't pull you over for doing 75 in a 70, but again, they CAN. Doing 30 in a 25 is usually a speed for which police will pull you over, as they should.

Doing 42 in a 25 is absolutely absurd for any reason other than you are driving an emergency victim to the hospital because no ambulance was available. Being late for work is not on that same level. Roads that have a speed limit of 25 have that low of a limit for a reason; those roads are almost always residential. There are people pulling in and out of driveways, there are pedestrians, there are children playing, and there are usually parked cars.

Good luck.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:14 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post

Showing up to court 17 over on an expired license and negative DMV points...won't be pretty for you.
Agreed, I can say that from experience. I think if you were 20 over, then I'd hire an attorney. Take the class now, go in with your tail between your legs and own the mistake.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:21 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,329,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Generally true but I can't figure out why the OP felt it was necessary in the story.
I think the OP has ADD or something. That could be the reason the person can't hold it all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia