Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:18 AM

14 posts, read 19,789 times

Advertisements

Getting hired by PWC, but the housing sitch looks ridiculous down there. I am willing to drive up to about 45 min to work; looking to find a single family home/fixer-upper (all of the condos around there seem dated). I am assuming the farther west or south I go (further from DC) the better...is this correct? And doing a search within 20 miles of Woodbridge yielded nothing of interest to me. Are there any cities within that driving distance (45 minutes) that would suffice? Single, so locals schools not a biggie at this point. Any suggestions would really be helpful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 07:25 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
What are your work times? Coming from the south, into Woodbridge at normal commute times is going to be pretty uncomfortable for you. You don't want to it. Heading to the west puts you in Bristow, Gainesville, Manassas. That will be a better commute.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:32 AM

617 posts, read 1,359,826 times
If you think Woodbridge is expensive, I wouldn't look one county further north.

I'm confused, you're concerned about the condos in the area being dated, but you're looking for a single-family fixer upper? If you need a single family home, why are you looking at condos at all? If you want a fixer upper but don't need a single family home, why not buy a cheaper condo closer to your job and update it. Wouldn't that kind of be the same thing?

Old 10-17-2013, 07:58 AM

20,134 posts, read 16,244,807 times
Around here 45 minutes of commute time will not get you as far as it does other places. The commute from points south to Woodbridge on I-95 can be the worst part of a person's commute from there to DC because of the loss of lanes, both regular and HOV. There is a VRE train that could take you from Fredericksburg to Woodbridge. The prices are much better there. Knowing the price range you are looking for would help. Believe it or not, housing in Woodbridge is considered very reasonable for the Northern Virginia (NOVA) area. Around here, average housing in Stafford and Dumfries is considered downright cheap, even though it runs over twice as much as the top of the line from where I moved. The sticker shock most people experience when looking for houses the first time around here is legendary. Also, finding housing around here, even single family homes, without HOA fees is hard.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:58 AM

6,590 posts, read 8,462,389 times
Many of us sacrifice either the commute or housing.

Are you looking to buy or rent? What's your budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigsh View Post
And doing a search within 20 miles of Woodbridge yielded nothing of interest to me. Are there any cities within that driving distance (45 minutes) that would suffice?
20 miles will max out your 45 minute commute tolerance during rush hour times. I'm afraid if you haven't found something within a 20 mile radius, then you won't find anything within 45 minutes.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:21 AM

"Many of us sacrifice either the commute or housing. "

Actually, it sounds like everyone so far is saying both, no?

I can find a place to rent, so I don't need help with that, but that's not really what I want to do, and I am kinda against living in an 80's condo complex (what I see for sale online) next to everyone's retired Aunt, and paying HOA fees on top of it. Both of those options seems like flushing your money.

So, if the commute is rough, AND the housing is bad, looks like there's nothing to live for there...

Old 10-17-2013, 08:37 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,588,327 times
Maybe in other parts of the country, only "everyone's retired Aunt" would live in an 80s condo complex, but here, because the housing prices are so high, all kinds of people live there. People that could afford huge McMansions in other parts of the country live in modest townhouses here.

You have to adjust your expectations relative to where you're moving. You wouldn't move to Manhattan and scoff at the fact that you can only find an apartment, not a single family home.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:37 AM

6,590 posts, read 8,462,389 times
Quote:
"Many of us sacrifice either the commute or housing. "

Actually, it sounds like everyone so far is saying both, no?
Not necessarily.

Our choices were:

Buy a fixer/upper SFH (at the top of our budget, so no $$ to fix it up) or a condo with a 15 minute commute to our jobs.

Or

Buy a nicely updated and spacious townhouse with an hour commute (on a good day).

We chose the nicer house with the longer commute, and don't regret it.

Quote:

So, if the commute is rough, AND the housing is bad, looks like there's nothing to live for there...
Not everyone thrives in this area. It's not the ideal place for many.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:47 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,026,912 times
Would love to help but without knowing your budget, I don't know what to suggest. If you think PWC is expensive, you may not enjoy this area very much just to be honest.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Not necessarily.

Our choices were:

Buy a fixer/upper SFH (at the top of our budget, so no $$ to fix it up) or a condo with a 15 minute commute to our jobs.

Or

Buy a nicely updated and spacious townhouse with an hour commute (on a good day).

We chose the nicer house with the longer commute, and don't regret it.

Not everyone thrives in this area. It's not the ideal place for many.

Wow...so with the HOA fees, and the gas for the 2 hour and 15 minute commute/day, you must be dropping a grand a month on just those two things (and that just for 1 car)! Before taxes, that about $16000 off of your salary every year, before you begin paying for anything.

Back to the topic, I guess that I thought moving an hour away from DC would yield significantly more housing choices that living in the City. I'm guessing not.

And as for the Manhattan example, go see what you can find an hour away from Manhattan. Every affordable price range available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia