Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 PM

13 posts, read 42,468 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for suggestions on where to take my mother this Saturday.

We are from Falls Church and have about 5-6hrs for a mini day trip. She wants to take a scenic drive and have lunch somewhere. Like a quaint and quiet town. I was wondering if anyone had any favorite spots that we could check out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 03:56 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
A fave of mine. Head down 66 west. Exit at Haymarket, RT 15, I believe it's exit 40. Turn left on 15 then right onto Rt 55. You'll see a Wal Mart on the right. Within a few miles you're into real nice country and it's a Va Scenic Byway. Stay on 55 until you get into the town of Front Royal. When it opens back up into 4 lanes turn left onto 522. There is a KFC here. Within a few miles 522 turns into some gorgeous scenery. It dead ends at 211 and you're still in beautiful country. Turn right here. Stay on 211 thru the mountains and you'll cross over 211. Go another 5 miles and you'll see a left turn to enter 211 business for Luray. Several good small restaurants in this town. Uncle Bucks is very popular. I would then backtrack on 211 and enter the Skyline Drive north back to Front Royal. (Fee here) From Front Royal you can either backtrack on Rt 55 or jump onto 66 back home.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:17 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
Middleburg would be a nice option, though much less driving.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:19 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Middleburg would be a nice option, though much less driving.
I will recommend Middleburg at any time (especially in the fall), but not this weekend, if you are looking for "quiet". It will be packed as it is the first annual Middleburg Film Festival.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:21 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Annapolis, Maryland is a fun day trip.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:37 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Shepherdstown, WV is gorgeous at this time of year. There are some really good places to eat there, so plan to stay for lunch. Don't miss the upstairs area in the bookstore, we've found some unexpected gems up there. And be sure to walk across the bridge, as well as walking the town. Blue Moon Cafe has a shady outdoor eating patio with a brook running through it. Really charming place, and great sandwiches. My friends prefer the cafe at the Bavarian Inn--also very good food. Oh, and be sure to stop at the visitor's center and pick up the flier with the town's history. It's quite funny.

Harper's Ferry, WV is more of a historic site than an actual town, but is very interesting. The Appalachian Trail goes right through town, so it's a good place to see historic sites and then do some hiking or kayaking. Be sure to at least walk across the bridge or up to the old church, even if you don't want to do too much hiking. There are a few places to eat--nice mountain views but the food is nothing special.

Kilmarnock and other cute little towns in the northern neck.

Annapolis is always interesting. Go on a warm day, when you see more people out boating.

Bike riding in Gettysburg. Gorgeous scenery and more monuments than you might think. Be sure to stop at the Pennsylvania monument and climb up to the top for a spectacular view. I like the little town there, too.

Frederick. If you haven't been there yet, check out this little town's walkway along the river--especially the famous mural. Without spoiling it, let me just say you should be on the lookout for optical illusions. Frederick is also a fun town to catch a minor league ball game during the summer.

Middleburg, especially for the Christmas parade. If you go for the parade, go fairly early and be sure to catch the "Hunt" parade in which people dress up for a fox hunt and parade the hounds and horses. It's like something out of "Auntie Mame." After the Hunt Parade, wander around the town until the other parade starts (the Christmas Parade).

Last edited by Caladium; 10-22-2013 at 07:52 AM..

Old 10-24-2013, 03:44 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Don't you just helping someone out and they never come back on here. Even if I don't agree or care for someone's answer to a question of mine I at least acknowledge them in a time manner for responding. I keep seeing this on the speeding/reckless driving questions and I'm about ready to stop responding.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:04 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
Winchester. Out the Dulles Toll Road, Greenway and Route 7. The trees are changing and there are gorgeous views from Mount Weather over the Shenandoah River. Less than 1 1/2 hours, cute, historic downtown. Lots of nice restaurants, art galleries, shops on the downtown walking mall. There's a cute, new restaurant called "EM" on Boscowen Street. Visit the Museum of the Shenandoah, the Patsy Cline house and George Washington's office. As you leave drive up and down Washington or Stewart Streets (the Apple Blossom parade route) and see beautiful trees and lovely old houses.

Stop at Nalls Farm Market on Route 7 just past Berryville for apples, cider and fabulous freshly baked pies.

Have fun!

Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 AM

13 posts, read 42,468 times
Thanks for all the suggestions, especially yours bigfoot424

The Middleburg Film Festival looked particularly interesting, but since this is a trip for my mom and not me, I think I'll be doing either Sheperdstown or Winchester. I've been to Uncle Buck's just a few months ago, for breakfast coming back from a camping trip and that place was bomb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia