Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 5,476 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I will be working in arlington va. and do not know a lot about the area. I will need to find a place right away at least to tide me over initially while I get settled and can buy a house.

I know this area is quite expensive, so definitely looking for surrounding towns. I really don't want to go over finding an apt that is more than 750. Is this possible without a roommate?

I have a small child, interested in a private Christian school and nice area to play, walk, etc. I'm looking for a small town, family oriented feeling/atmosphere. Id like my commute to work to be no more than 20 minutes if possible. Also please share if any cities in Maryland may be more suitable.

Please help if you can. My rent option may sound unrealistic for the area but thought I'd try and ask anyhow.

Thanks!

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/virgi...#ixzz2ihJKM6z9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 07:57 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Unfortunately, your housing budget is way, way low for Northern Virginia. One bedroom apartments in managed buildings/complexes will generally be around $1300, give or or take a couple hundred. Even if you were to go out to Fredericksburg, Manassas or Leesburg, you'd be hard pressed to find something under $1000. Then once you add transportation costs back, you're almost better off renting closer in. Privately-owned rentals may offer you a break but not that much.

Your odds may be somewhat better across the river in Prince Georges County but there's a reason for that: relative lack of jobs and the perception/reality of crime levels. I would advise checking out the "Washington DC suburbs of Maryland" sub-forum for more informed views.

If you are willing to put the funds you were willing to invest into your child's private schooling into housing instead, that might increase your housing options. Fairfax County Public Schools overall are considered among the best in the country with Loudoun and Arlington Counties more than holding their own. Alexandria has had its share of struggles but there is an active parent base. Others more knowledgeable than me can speak about Prince William County Public Schools.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:23 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
Curious to know where your’e relocating from? No offense but your expectations of this area, more so w.r.t Arlington, are beyond unrealistic

Old 10-25-2013, 08:35 AM

89 posts, read 179,072 times
Did you look into this area before accepting the job? Is there anyway for you to decline and get your old job back? There is no way possible, if your budget is $750/mo without a roommate, you are going to find a place to live that is within a commutable distance to Arlington, unless you are willing to do at least 2 hours each way. Anywhere close to the city, you are not going to find a small town vibe at all.

Daycare for a child is going to run you in the neighborhood of $800 (probably the cheapest home daycare) to $1000k+ per month, depending on age. Expect a private Christian school to be more expensive.

I'm in Prince William County in the Gainesville/Haymarket area, and we have great schools. I'm not sure about the eastern end of the county. But if you're doing a typical 9-5 in Arlington, you can expect to be gone 11-12 hours each day living this far out.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:48 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Agree with PK12. Your expectations are unrealistic for this area.

A 20 minute commute means you should be looking no more than a 10 mile radius from your job. Which means you will definitely not get the small town feel. You will have to go way out to get that. There are no small towns in the metro area that is mostly suburban sprawl. Nor will you find an apartment for $750 within that radius. I assume you want a 2 bedroom to accommodate you and your child but even a 1 bedroom is going to double your budget.

And if $750 is your housing budget, you can forget about buying.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:01 PM

3 posts, read 5,476 times
I was somewhat aware of the pricing in the area. I did say at the end of my post that the number might be unrealistic but I asked anyway.

Getting my old job back is not an option. I look forward not back. I'm a go-getter. The new job pays more, but it never hurts to see opinions from others, honest-respectful opinions.

I have been looking in other areas close by, I may have no other option than to pay a higher rent until I get more settled and purchase a home....

Old 10-29-2013, 07:05 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
I don't mean to pile on, but you have twice mentioned your intention to buy a house. Have you investigated purchase prices of homes? Generally, rents are low in this area relative to the purchase price for the same housing unit.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:17 PM

313 posts, read 551,800 times
OP, your rent is impossible without a roommate, but would you be willing to split a 1BR with your child, getting like a divider or something of that nature? Because then you might be able to make it work assuming there aren't any restrictions against doing that kind of thing and your landlord is cool with it. There's quite a few basements that people rent out and I know some of them are quite large. 800.00 Big Basement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia