Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 10:59 PM

5 posts, read 9,579 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I know I know, another one of these threads. I've been looking around here and sifting through tons of informative posts. For starters, I can't wait to move to NOVA. I'm from San Diego and relocating for a job that I got that is in the city of Fairfax. I'm a single guy in his early 30s and wanted to be closer to areas with a bit more to do. I was looking for furnished rooms in an apt or townhouse located generally in the areas of Arlington or Alexandria. Budget is a bit tight and I'm aiming for a max of $850 including utilities but even for just a furnished room, it is hard to find something that fits this budget. Most of the listings on craigslist in my idea price range are for rooms in a sfh and in and around Fairfax City. How is the commute from Groveton to Fairfax City? Also, are the cities of Springfield and Burke suburban sprawl? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 11:56 PM

142 posts, read 244,252 times
Yes, housing is pricey in NOVA, and more so if you are looking around Arlington or Alexandria. I would not want to do a Groveton area to Fairfax commute. If you look at Burke or Springfield, you won't be in an area where there's a lot to do for a 30 yr. old single. You would be wanting to go to Arlington, Alexandria, or DC in your spare time.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:24 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,737,095 times
It's all pretty much suburban sprawl here, aside from a few very expensive exceptions.

I would think that with enough looking around, you could find a room in a house in Oakton or Mantua for that price. Maybe some older person/couple would cut you a good deal if you help with the lawn, etc.

Cheapest digs around would probably be in parts of Manasses, Pimmitt Hills, or Centreville. But I don't think the savings would be that much over what you could find within a few miles of FFX City.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:31 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,322,936 times
Split rent with a roommate in Arlington or Alexandria. Those are the only two areas that aren't sprawl heavy. Everywhere else, you will be dependent on a car to do everything. I'd suggest Huntington where you should easily be able to split a 2br for that price, and you will be close to your commute location, as well as having access to metro so you don't feel trapped as a single person in suburbia.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:36 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,955,870 times
I don't think $850 is realistic for a furnished room in Arlington/Alexandria, let alone including utilities. Furnished rooms in apartments are usually temporary/short term (i.e. roommate is reassigned for work for 3 months) Generally the furnished rooms you are going to find will be in houses with homeowners.

Other options to think about:
-If you don't mind craigslist furniture (my whole house is basically furnished with that + family hand me downs...), you can easily furnish a bedroom for $250. Then it would open you up to non furnished rooms.
-Some homeowners have converted basements that they'll rent out.
-The area around Fairfax Corner and also Reston might be alternatives to Arlington/Alexandria. There are a ton of restaurants and meet up groups in the area, you'll have a much shorter commute, and rent should be a little cheaper.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:46 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,322,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I don't think $850 is realistic for a furnished room in Arlington/Alexandria, let alone including utilities. Furnished rooms in apartments are usually temporary/short term (i.e. roommate is reassigned for work for 3 months) Generally the furnished rooms you are going to find will be in houses with homeowners.

Other options to think about:
-If you don't mind craigslist furniture (my whole house is basically furnished with that + family hand me downs...), you can easily furnish a bedroom for $250. Then it would open you up to non furnished rooms.
-Some homeowners have converted basements that they'll rent out.
-The area around Fairfax Corner and also Reston might be alternatives to Arlington/Alexandria. There are a ton of restaurants and meet up groups in the area, you'll have a much shorter commute, and rent should be a little cheaper.
Huntington, split with a roommate is available at the rate he wants (give or take 100) and I agree, give up on the fully furnished. Get a footon and cheap coffee table from craigslist or something; its not a big deal.

The Courts at Huntington Station, Alexandria - Trulia

Another one

http://www.trulia.com/rental/3127695...ndria-VA-22306

If you really must live alone, look around the East Falls Church metro. Still less sprawlly than most of Fairfax, has access to metro for weekends, and fairly easy commute to Groveton (10-15 minute drive)

Old 12-09-2013, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 9,579 times
Thanks for all the replies! Yeah I'm just looking for furnished at this point because I'm only driving out with suitcases, most likely I'm going to be shipping my car and flying actually. I found out my commute times might not be affected by traffic as much as I need to be in FFX by 5:30am most days and can probably wait out the night time rush hour. I've changed my mission to also be on the look out for month to month, or at least short term leases as previously mentioned. That should give me a month or two to be able to get a better feel for the area and also maybe find some friends to live with. Ideally, I'd like to live in Arlington but it looks like that might not be a realistic goal for the immediate future.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:17 PM

313 posts, read 552,383 times
OP...

here's something right in fairfax city, if you're willing to have a room in a house with f]three other guys.

Large room right on Main Street, Satellite Wifi Utilities included

250 less than your budget for rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia