Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:27 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,757,693 times

Advertisements

I have to agree somewhat with the OP. I notice that most of the regular freeway lanes in this area are only 6 lanes (3 each way) and the one's that are 8 lanes include an HOV. In places like Raleigh, Charlotte, and Atlanta most of the roads are at least 8 regular lanes.

I'm a big advocate of smart growth and public transportation, but I do feel that the roads in this area are greatly under capacity to handle the traffic that they do. 95 should have been widen to at least 8 regular lanes plus have the HOV years ago as well as 66. Sadly I think the 95 Express lanes will make traffic worse since more people will be forced off the HOV into the regular lanes if they don't have an EZ Pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 01:34 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,165,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookintomovetoVa View Post
I agree with you. The logical thing is to go around, but when there is another car in the right lane,,,um, you don't. It was very prevalent in the state of VA. We went across the entire state of VA and this was happening. I was wondering if the rule actually applies that slower traffic should be in left lane. .. It was frustrating as hell after sitting in NOVAs traffic, then to know that turtle drivers hog the left lane. Very unique situation it was in VA.
Try I-66 outside of HOV hours and 495; although yes, this does seem anecdotal, NEVER in my experience have I encountered more than one "Gandalf-in-the-left-lane" driver per trip down 66 either direction. You seem to be too rash in your statements here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Exactly. I have family from the Hampton Roads area and they always tell us how they get major anxiety driving in NoVA because everyone here is trying to drive them off the roads for actually going the speed limit.
And to think there are relatively level and straight two-lane roads with solid paved lines in NoVA (such as Braddock Road between Gum Spring and the Ldn/Ffx line) is outrageous! It's not a frequent occurrence, but I despise it when it occurs: being stuck for miles behind some truck oozing at 45, the limit, when I am perfectly comfortable with 55

Old 12-31-2013, 05:45 AM

45 posts, read 99,394 times
Quote:
Exactly. I have family from the Hampton Roads area and they always tell us how they get major anxiety driving in NoVA because everyone here is trying to drive them off the road for actually going the speed limit.
Going the speed limit doesn't mean you can still sit in the left lane on 95 for your entire drive. Slower traffic needs to move to the right, no matter what speed you are going. I just moved to NOVA and i knew what I was getting myself into with the traffic. It doesn't matter what state you are driving in though. If someone behind you is going faster than you, move over to the right and let them pass.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:23 AM

518 posts, read 927,603 times
The problem is that this area has consistently grown faster than our infrastructure can keep up. In the 10 years it took to fix the mixing bowl we had already reached the traffic capacity that the project was supposed to handle. This is a constant problem with traffic improvement projects in this area. Also, the infrastructure that is being improved upon was not planned to accommodate the the necessary changes needed to alleviate traffic problems. So we are pretty much just adding more putting band aids on a steadily growing wound.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:39 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,415,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejraste View Post
Going the speed limit doesn't mean you can still sit in the left lane on 95 for your entire drive. Slower traffic needs to move to the right, no matter what speed you are going. I just moved to NOVA and i knew what I was getting myself into with the traffic. It doesn't matter what state you are driving in though. If someone behind you is going faster than you, move over to the right and let them pass.
Well of course but places like NoVA that are typically much more fast-paced are at times overwhelming for people who come from places that are more slower-paced like Hampton Roads. So it's not really an issue of if someone is going faster than you let them get in front of you as it is people here typically drive fast so for outsiders who aren't used to that it makes them feel anxious.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:47 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,465,626 times
Quote:
Well of course but places like NoVA that are typically much more fast-paced are at times overwhelming for people who come from places that are more slower-paced like Hampton Roads. So it's not really an issue of if someone is going faster than you let them get in front of you as it is people here typically drive fast so for outsiders who aren't used to that it makes them feel anxious.
You would think if you were in an unfamiliar and/or overwhelming place that your default would be to stay in the right lane. That's what I do if I'm in other cities or countries (flipping sides of course for certain ones).

But unfortunately that is not often the case here.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:56 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,910,898 times
Obviously, everyone who has commented on this thread drives a v-12, 400hp ferrari

There are simply parts of 95 that are coming in and out of curves and in and out of hills,

I have a 4 cyl. civic. It simply cannot maneuver the terrain like a 6 cyl. can. I drive in the right lane as much as traffic will allow me.

There are many places inside Nova where the terrain causes similar problems on city streets-Mt Weather comes to mind.

And, No, I won't stop driving because my car is not a massive guzzler as yours.
And, No, I won't fly for a small trip Down South

Old 12-31-2013, 10:59 AM

540 posts, read 793,101 times
Two points I'd like to make after reading the comments in this thread:

1) There are multiple problems with just throwing additional lanes onto the interstates in this area. One is induced demand where people would be incentivized to live further out and the roads would likely clog up again over a couple of decades. Another is more simple - where are all of these extra cars going to go? As part of a highway widening are we now building new bridges and paving over the inner parts of Arlington/Alex/DC? Atlanta is NOT what we should be looking at when thinking of traffic.

2) Regarding EZ-Passes, a ton of people have them, and it isn't that difficult to get one. Anyone who wants to continue to use the HOV equivalent lanes will make sure to get one to do so. And some single occupancy drivers who find that their time is more important that their dollars will move over to the express lanes. I don't see how this will hurt the regular 95 lanes in the short term. Induced demand is another problem here, and we will have to see how that plays out.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:32 PM

24 posts, read 25,937 times
I don't think we're disagreeing. I am agreeing a solution has to be made. I just get the feel that folks are like "just deal with it". That is NOT a solution. But previous posters have enlightened me that there are plans underway... hope plans actualize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I agree that a few more lanes are needed, but Smart Growth advocates do have a point. Howw many lanes should they add? What about in the future when you have to add more lanes and more lanes? When does it end? A hundred lanes in each direction? That's not desirable to most who live here.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:34 PM

24 posts, read 25,937 times
AGREED, Point clearly made...

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I have to agree somewhat with the OP. I notice that most of the regular freeway lanes in this area are only 6 lanes (3 each way) and the one's that are 8 lanes include an HOV. In places like Raleigh, Charlotte, and Atlanta most of the roads are at least 8 regular lanes.

I'm a big advocate of smart growth and public transportation, but I do feel that the roads in this area are greatly under capacity to handle the traffic that they do. 95 should have been widen to at least 8 regular lanes plus have the HOV years ago as well as 66. Sadly I think the 95 Express lanes will make traffic worse since more people will be forced off the HOV into the regular lanes if they don't have an EZ Pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia