Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 10:43 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,105,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Might be too far to go but if you're ever in Western Loudoun, try Smokin Willys in Purcellville

Smokin Willy BBQ and Grill in Purcellville, VA

There is also a real hole-in-the-wall, converted gas station kind of place (literally) in Winchester called Bonnie Blue. Great for a warm sunny day because the only seating is outside picnic tables. But if you do a day trip for the Museum of the Shenandoah and Patsy Cline's house, it would be a great lunch place. Bonnie Blue | Market & Bakery | Restaurants | Winchester, VA
I'd like to add to LL's suggestions in Winchester. Just north of the city is this place. Some of the best pulled pork BBQ I've ever had. They have the Carolina - style with sauce and the Alabama-style with vinegar:

Jordan Springs Market:
Home Page

It's on a backroad surrounded by farmland but right off Highway 81. Everything is fresh and homemade. You can get cole slaw with the meal which is also fabulous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 04:18 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,150,057 times
Try Dixie Bones in Woodbridge.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:18 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,690,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Try Dixie Bones in Woodbridge.
See the original post. The original poster tried it and was not impressed.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:54 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,270,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sbabe View Post
Try Flavors in Falls Church

www.flavorssoulfood.com

It's not cheap but it's good.
People love Flavors, I thought it was pretty good (not amazing). Dont get me wrong though, for someone that wants that true soul food taste, this would definitely satisfy.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:58 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,270,732 times
Oh and if I'm looking for something that would really hit the spot, I cross into Maryland/DC and head to Carolina Kitchen.

The Carolina Kitchen

Old 01-02-2014, 11:24 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,513,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I have been looking for a good southern style place in VA but I have been struggling to find a good non chain restaurant. I have seen a few but I am not really interested in hole in the wall type establishments. I have a strong heritage in the south so I really like Eastern NC style BBQ (with vinegar) but those places appear nonexistent. I tried Dixie Bones in Woodbridge and it was very mediocre. As of right now the best place I can get southern style cooking is Famous Dave's (which really is good, not really NC style like I would like) but I am interested to see if anyone has tried a nonchain restaurant in NoVa and can give some recommendations. Thanks.
I spent several months last year casually looking for decent BBQ in NOVA, and tried several places, from Arlington to Aldie. I didn't come across any vinegar-based sauce places (although I'd like to). Most of the places were Memphis or Kansas City style. When I moved here in the 70's I was taken to a few hole-in-the-wall Q joints that would knock your socks off, but the owners died and the places are long gone. The best place I've found is Rocklands in Arlington (for my taste, anyway). Although I'm not a big chain-restaurant guy, the rib tips at Famous Dave's are killer.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:09 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,010,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Oh and if I'm looking for something that would really hit the spot, I cross into Maryland/DC and head to Carolina Kitchen.

The Carolina Kitchen
I am from Maryland and I am familiar with Carolina Kitchen and some of the other places. My goal is to not have to drive that far. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
I spent several months last year casually looking for decent BBQ in NOVA, and tried several places, from Arlington to Aldie. I didn't come across any vinegar-based sauce places (although I'd like to). Most of the places were Memphis or Kansas City style. When I moved here in the 70's I was taken to a few hole-in-the-wall Q joints that would knock your socks off, but the owners died and the places are long gone. The best place I've found is Rocklands in Arlington (for my taste, anyway). Although I'm not a big chain-restaurant guy, the rib tips at Famous Dave's are killer.
Agreed about those rib tips. I am not big on chains for southern food myself but Famous Dave's is an exception.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:13 AM

I see some potential places that have been suggested. I have heard about Flavors numerous times. I think I might check it out soon. A few others sound good as well. Thank you for the suggestions and if you have more keep them coming.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Honestly, and this applies to all types of resturants, you are missing out if you automatically exclude the "hole in the wall" types. This is where some of the best food is found. It's usually a family run shop with recipes that go back generations. I can't help you with NoVa, but the (without a doubt) best Sould Food I've ever had was in a dingy, 200 SF, hole in the wall (there may have actually been a hole in the wall) in New Orleans.
My big issue with some hole in the wall places is cleanliness. I have been to some really dirty looking spots. I would only consider them if they were highly reputable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia