Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:18 PM

239 posts, read 278,877 times

Advertisements

I am 32 and my wife is 30 and we have a single four year old. Based on my interview I see a lot of suburbia, much like the suburbs of Denver (castle rock, for example). We are currently relocating from Berkeley, CA, but spent a long time in the suburbs of Denver and really enjoyed it (vs. Berkeley).

However what are the people like?

Mostly dual income with kids, or stay at home parent with kids? Or DINK? My wife will be staying at home with our four year old and hopefully she'll find other moms in the same situation.

Liberal? Conservative? Libertarian?

Is there constant pressure to keep up with the jones's? Are people overspending their incomes? Were there a lot of foreclosures?

Religious? Or not religious?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 09:43 PM

467 posts, read 1,519,347 times
A mix of dual income with kids and stay at home with kids. There are plenty of stay at home mom's with 4 year olds - my wife is one

Politically pretty mixed - lots of middle of the road libertarian tech folks. Lots of Asian immigrants as well, especially from India.

Religious - thats pretty tough to say. Its not a bible belt sort of place, and there is a lot of religious diversity - Christian, Hindu, Jewish, Muslim. That being said, I suspect most folks are religious, but no one is asking each other what church (etc) they go to, as they do some places in the south. Religious institutions are a pretty kid place to meet other parents with similar aged kids.

That being said, it is not Berkeley - it is not a bastion of far left liberalism, although it tends to be far more socially liberal than the rest of Virginia.

There were plenty of foreclosures and still are some, especially of the more expensive houses. Folks buying $1m+ houses tended (and still tend) to get in over their heads. I suspect many of them never could afford it, and ended up house poor. Amongst the more "ordinary" (but still very nice) houses, there are far fewer foreclosures. Most folks live within their means, which tend to be considerable. I've never felt any pressure to spend money on anything here, which is nice.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:44 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,121,749 times
Ashburn is a great place to live. The people here are very friendly. There is a good mix of both stay at home single earner families and duel earner families. Most of the larger developments here have mom clubs.

The area is fairly purple in terms of politics. Many people are religious here, but it's not shoved in your face. Relgious people here are very tolerant of other people views.

There is a certain amount of "keeping up with the jones's" going on but it's not terrible.

I don't know of that many foreclosures.

I would say the biggest drawback about living here is the super competitiveness that's in this area when it comes to kids. People are super competitive with each other when it comes to their kids. Middle school and high school kids are under a lot of pressure when it comes to academics and athletics. If you want your 4 year old to play high school sports in this area start them now.

I've lived here 15 years now a love it. If you have any other questions just PM me.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:44 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,306,132 times
I just don't like the idea of paying the Dulles Greenway toll, then the 267 toll if you're headed east to the major job centers. However, you can ride the Loudoun County Bus into most places including DC with free parking available.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:54 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,304,148 times
Ashburn is nice. Lots of families with kids. Housing is more affordable so young families tend to flock there to get more house for their money. The biggest drawback is traffic, which is bad in this area but especially painful from way out in Ashburn if you're commuting eastward towards the city. There are toll roads which a lot of people take to maintain their sanity but that can cost you over $10 a day during peak rush hour times.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:07 AM

239 posts, read 278,877 times
I work just outside landsdowne, so I hope the traffic isn't bad coming from any place within ashburn. Thanks though.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:50 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,304,148 times
You should be fine.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:17 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,294,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside View Post
I work just outside landsdowne, so I hope the traffic isn't bad coming from any place within ashburn. Thanks though.
Hmm...depends on where you settle down in "Ashburn". Depending on time of day it can take me 20+ minutes to get from Brambleton (which is on the far southwest corner of the area with an Ashburn zip code) to Lansdowne - and that's straight up Belmont Ridge Rd.

I am a stay-at-home mom of 5-year-old twins. There are lots of stay-at-home parents (not just moms) around here, and parents with flex schedules who work at home sometimes. Your wife can meet lots of people at playgroups, the library (great storytimes and activities), parks, etc. Your neighborhood may have its own kids' activities as well. You will meet a lot of people if your kid goes to preschool, and then once your kid starts kindergarten, there will be another whole world of people to meet (at least, that's what we've found this year).

For the most part, people keep their politics and religion quieter than in other places, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. There aren't as many yard signs and bumper stickers here as in my former neighborhoods in Arlington and Falls Church. One thing that some people find surprising is that there are a lot of families here with 3+ kids, and their presence isn't necessarily tied to any particular religions.

There weren't many foreclosures in my neighborhood... more short sales. As for spending - you'll see some people with latest BMW, but I think if you took a survey, the most popular cars here are the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna. People sink their money into their kids - activities, camps, sports, tutoring, etc. My neighborhood has many private Facebook groups where residents sell and give away things - the kids' clothing groups and kids' gear/toys are the most popular, and many people participate - there's no "shame" about wearing hand-me-downs from neighbors (which is great). Consignment sales and shops are big here, too.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:19 PM

15,404 posts, read 25,690,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside View Post
Landsdowne is right by Ashburn. It will be no problem. The main traffic problem here is Waxpool Rd.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:38 PM

60 posts, read 104,900 times
Im in a similar boat but I dont want to hijack a thread.

I can tell you that imho (being a CA-SoCal transplant going on 2 weeks now) that people are real a-holish when it comes to driving. I dont know why but driving can be very competitive over here.

Other from that, Im looking in Ashburn/Leesburg/Lansdowne for good school systems and a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia