Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:10 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,114,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgood View Post
Kent Gardens is a pretty expensive district so quickly was off my last during my townhouse search. But I see Stoneleigh and Hallcrest Heights as TH communities in that district.

Does anyone know if "The Westerlies" condo TH development is in this district? I show it as having some 2 bedroom units. Located Magarity Rd at Westwind Rd.
That's zoned for Westgate ES, not Kent Gardens ES, but see the other posts about still being able to apply for the immersion program if you're assigned to other schools in the county.

Last edited by JD984; 01-09-2014 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 10:18 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,427,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWnova View Post
You do not have to live in the Kent Gardens school boundaries to attend the French immersion program at KGE. We put 3 children through and we lived in Falls Church (Fairfax County 22046 and later 22043 Haycock School area). As someone said it is a lottery to get in and siblings of current FI students get preference placement.
You do also have to live in Fairfax County.
So it is open to the entire county? I had no idea. Is there a timeframe to apply thru the lottery or something?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:32 AM

I actually just called them. They said that the French imm. program does not start till 1st grade actually and that I can apply by January of next year for it, it is offered to all Fairfax county residents. I guess this solves my problem. Thanks a lot

Old 01-10-2014, 07:55 PM

9,782 posts, read 15,839,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
I actually just called them. They said that the French imm. program does not start till 1st grade actually and that I can apply by January of next year for it, it is offered to all Fairfax county residents. I guess this solves my problem. Thanks a lot
Be aware though that you'd still want to live fairly close to the school as you've probably heard - traffic is a bear. You wouldn't want to live in Centreville and commute there, for example.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:05 PM

9,782 posts, read 15,839,357 times
I want to add one more thing. Even if you don't get into the French immersion lottery, it might still be worth it to try to get into the Kent Gardens boundaries. As I understand it, the non-immersion kids still have French in the classroom (maybe twice per week) through the FLES program, which is better than nothing.

Also, DCMum, another option for you might be Herndon Elementary School. I believe they also have French immersion.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I want to add one more thing. Even if you don't get into the French immersion lottery, it might still be worth it to try to get into the Kent Gardens boundaries. As I understand it, the non-immersion kids still have French in the classroom (maybe twice per week) through the FLES program, which is better than nothing.

Also, DCMum, another option for you might be Herndon Elementary School. I believe they also have French immersion.
Thank you! The thing is my job is in Tysons, so the Herndon Elementary School might be too far to commute to? What's the commute like from Herndon to Tysons? I also checked the rating for HES on greatschools and it was a 4, and some parents wrote bad reviews. Does anyone have first hand experience with the school?

Last edited by DCmum; 01-11-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 01-11-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Be aware though that you'd still want to live fairly close to the school as you've probably heard - traffic is a bear. You wouldn't want to live in Centreville and commute there, for example.
My job will be in Tysons, so either way, so pretty close to that area. I also read this review about HES:

Quote:
Herndon ES is now a Title 1 school for 2012-13 school year. This is due to the number and percentage (over 50%) of Low Income students who attend this school. FCPS has decided to now phase out the French imm. program at Herndon and replace with Spanish imm. program. That decision is to cater to the LI students, most who speak fluent Spanish in their homes; and also to try to pull up those LI student SOL test scores. The French program students are the kids who pull up the SOL scores for this school. Many non-LI families are not happy with the decision to phase out the French program, and those French program families are now looking to place their student's in other FCPS schools. FCPS tried to keep this info. under the radar and out of the news, but the info. is public, and now spreading in the local community. Too bad, this used to be a really nice - and diverse - school. Our kids all went there (last in 2009), but it looks like Herndon ES may be on the way down.
Looks like the French Imm. program is being replaced by a Spanish one

Last edited by DCmum; 01-11-2014 at 10:09 AM..

Old 01-11-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Thank you! The thing is my job is in Tysons, so the Herndon Elementary School might be too far to commute to? What's the commute like from Herndon to Tysons?
Most frequent estimate I've heard is about 35 minutes on average - depends on whether you take Route 7 or pay for the Dulles Toll Road, as well as where you'd be working in Tysons. The Kent Gardens ES area is about 10 minutes away, and Westgate 5-10 minutes.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Most frequent estimate I've heard is about 35 minutes on average - depends on whether you take Route 7 or pay for the Dulles Toll Road, as well as where you'd be working in Tysons. The Kent Gardens ES area is about 10 minutes away, and Westgate 5-10 minutes.
My job will be on Greensboro drive. I haven't moved yet ( still looking). I currently live in Ashburn and will have to commute from Ashburn to Tysons at first. Maquest is telling me the commute will be 25 minutes on if I take the Greenway , do you think it is a correct estimate?

Old 01-11-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
My job will be on Greensboro drive. I haven't moved yet ( still looking). I currently live in Ashburn and will have to commute from Ashburn to Tysons at first. Maquest is telling me the commute will be 25 minutes on if I take the Greenway , do you think it is a correct estimate?
Google driving directions indicates that trip would take 26 minutes if you were driving now. It would take longer during the weekday rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia