Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 07:48 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,364,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Probably their second quarter grades or third quarter lesson plans.
For me, some of the checking of work and grading is getting done on these snow days. I also finished my mid-year status review of the student goal plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 08:18 AM

19,671 posts, read 9,628,419 times
Being from an area where even a blizzard didn't keep us from going to school and living down in the WDC area has been a lesson in contrast. However, I think how the roads get cleared and rain that when temps get real low can be hazardous to one's health. I knew of one town we lived in that sold one or two of it's snow plows, can make the following year's accumulations of 4" or more a royal you know what. Guess they shouldn't have sold those plows after all .... but, looks like the town needed the $ for something else.
Never did find out what that "something else" was for though.

Have no idea how the schools operate now since I had been away for so many years. Maybe they're more inclined to close, but still think it takes more than a coupla inches to do so. Next time I think about it, will ask some of the relatives. I have one cousin that homeschools her son, so the school closures probably wouldn't affect them so much. Don't most school kids now have something at home that maybe they can utilize for online schooling so maybe they wouldn't have to lose a day? Telework, now here comes, Teleschool

Old 01-23-2014, 03:01 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,159,601 times
Sorry, but while I think closing schools Tuesday and maybe Wednesday was fine, I think closing all week is ridiculous. I feel very sad for the parents who need to go to work while their kids are home and bored. Plenty of people are already out and about, meeting friends at the coffee shop, walking to the sledding hill, and driving to the stores and the library and the gym. The towns are hardly paralyzed.

Looking at the Sterling Fire Company calendar I see the boy scouts are still scheduled to take a tour tomorrow night. They can have a boy scout meeting at night but they can't go to school during the day?

Old 01-23-2014, 04:33 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,624 times
My kid is literally running laps around my house right now. Kitchen, living room, foyer, kitchen...

I'm praying FFX county is open tomorrow

Old 01-23-2014, 07:58 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,145,186 times
Pwc is opening tomorrow with a two hour delay and a message of only attend if you feel safe. Guess 10am to 230 with lunch in the middle is better than no school. Ease back into school. We're still under 10 days for the month.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:57 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,206,307 times
Quote:
I think closing all week is ridiculous
I grew up in the DC suburbs - first Virginia then Maryland as far as "school age" is concerned. This was all about 45+ years ago.

I distinctly remember walking the half mile or so to elementary school in Maryland after snowstorms, lifting my feet high with each step to clear the snow - that memory also includes snow-covered streets. I vaguely remember earlier years in Virginia walking a short distance to the bus stop, same thing.

I don't have any memory whatsoever of "snow days" - either place - though I'm sure they must have occurred at least a few times when we had the deeper snowfalls (there was one where I - 11ish - dug sideways into the snow to make a tunnel so there was at least one memorable one).

That is to say, different times had different priorities...and maybe different...you know...temperatures. It's certainly cold outside, REAL cold outside. Perhaps that cold justifies not sending the kiddies out. I know if my spoiled-rotten daughter wasn't driven to school (by...you know who) I wouldn't want her standing out at the bus stop in this weather, snow or not.

Today it's cold, real cold, and the kiddies have a couple hours for things to warm up - it's not clear things WILL warm up by then so I'm not sure if it was really necessary to have those couple hours off. There's nothing else EXCEPT the cold, AFAIK, for having those couple hours off.

[an aside - strangely, since last Friday each day I've been asking said daughter "Are you ready for school? Have everything done? Prepared for those tests? and each day she has replied "No problem, Everything's done. Don't worry." and EACH day she has had school stuff open in front of her for some length of time as she "does something".

EACH day, same conversation.

Hmmm...]

Old 01-24-2014, 06:05 AM

373 posts, read 823,325 times
I don't mind the cold when it's just me running from home to car or whatever. But the extra time it takes to bundle up and then bundle up the dog (booties) for a walk, shuffle behind him while he sniffs ALL the snow, and then defrost and clean him up afterward is really getting old.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:41 AM

254 posts, read 424,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post
I don't mind the cold when it's just me running from home to car or whatever. But the extra time it takes to bundle up and then bundle up the dog (booties) for a walk, shuffle behind him while he sniffs ALL the snow, and then defrost and clean him up afterward is really getting old.
That's pretty cool you put shoes on your dog.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:01 AM

2,270 posts, read 3,735,714 times
There were some pretty hefty comments on InsideNova about PWC opening school today. Too slippery, too much snow, too cold...blah blah blah. Look, I'm all for closing when there's serious snow on the road...but not for a week after most of the roads have been plowed. The County shouldn't be held responsible for your HOA not plowing your road and/or not shovelling peoples sidewalks, and they simply can't wait around for it. As for VDOT dropping the ball, that's a different matter. But from what I can see, the major roads are fine and most of the secondaries are fine. If you think it's not safe or too cold, you always have the option of keeping your kid home.

Sidenote...I graduated from PWC in 2002. I don't ever remember us closing "because it's too cold". And the only times I remember us being closed for a week was during blizzards with a foot or so of snow. So yes, I will be the first one to say that I think kids AND parents are growing up soft. I wonder what's going to happen in 10 or 15 years when these kids are out in the workforce and think it's "too cold" to go to work. Are they really going to call in and say "Hey boss...look, it's a little cold outside, I'm not trying to wait around for a bus/train/carpool. I'm just gonna take the day off, wait till it warms up a bit!"?

Old 01-24-2014, 07:11 AM

810 posts, read 1,027,701 times
I vividly remember my first year of high school, I think in 1993? The blizzard in March had FCPS closed for almost a month... They didn't just make up days, they changed the school day to take longer each day to make up the snow days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia