Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 07:17 AM

2,268 posts, read 3,730,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post
I vividly remember my first year of high school, I think in 1993? The blizzard in March had FCPS closed for almost a month... They didn't just make up days, they changed the school day to take longer each day to make up the snow days...
I think 1996 was ours. I remember being out for weeks. We got a ton of snow and ice in that one though, it was pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 07:18 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,202,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
That's pretty cool you put shoes on your dog.
One of my major pet peeves (punny!) is seeing someone going for a run on pavement with their un-shoed dog.

The dumb wonderful dogs, of course, run along with nary a complaint while the owners fail to see the often-graphic wounds to the poor dog's paws caused by the unnatural terrain of hard surfaces:

Running injuries

[pardon - just had to vent]

Old 01-24-2014, 07:27 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,818,046 times
Well, Fairfax county has school today (two hour delay)... but I just got a notice that things might be even more delayed because of bus mechanical problems (my guess is the busses won't start). Hope too many kids aren't standing in this fridge stuff outside waiting for busses that may or may not come. Doesn't take too long to get frostbite or hypothermia out there, especially a kid with a smaller body mass.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 AM

254 posts, read 423,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
One of my major pet peeves (punny!) is seeing someone going for a run on pavement with their un-shoed dog.

The dumb wonderful dogs, of course, run along with nary a complaint while the owners fail to see the often-graphic wounds to the poor dog's paws caused by the unnatural terrain of hard surfaces:

Running injuries

[pardon - just had to vent]
Yeah there is this one time our family dog visited me in the summer and it was like 90F outside. And we went for a walk (no running because he is fat). I don't think shoes were popular then. I knew the sidewalk was on fire. I carried a bottle of water and would spray his face so he would have something to drink. I walked on the sidewalk and kept pushing him on the grass so his feet wouldn't burn. But he kept wanting to walk where I did. Then he slowed down and I saw his paws were on fire. I picked him up and carried him home.

1-2-3... "awwwwwwww"

Old 01-24-2014, 01:49 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,277,137 times
Quote:
Yeah there is this one time our family dog visited me in the summer and it was like 90F outside. And we went for a walk (no running because he is fat). I don't think shoes were popular then. I knew the sidewalk was on fire. I carried a bottle of water and would spray his face so he would have something to drink. I walked on the sidewalk and kept pushing him on the grass so his feet wouldn't burn. But he kept wanting to walk where I did. Then he slowed down and I saw his paws were on fire. I picked him up and carried him home.

1-2-3... "awwwwwwww"
Not sure awwwwwwww is what I was thinking.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:26 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,745,553 times
ArlNow had a good article today contrasting how Arlington, VA, and Arlington, MA, handle big snowstorms.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:53 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,128,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
ArlNow had a good article today contrasting how Arlington, VA, and Arlington, MA, handle big snowstorms.
The comments following that article are hilarious.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:17 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,709,427 times
Farmers Almanac is reporting a snow storm for our region in the first few weeks of February. What do you guys think?

Old 01-25-2014, 02:54 PM

373 posts, read 822,739 times
Quote:
That's pretty cool you put shoes on your dog.
I wouldn't want to be out there barefoot! He's actually fine when it's just freshly fallen snow, but the combination of snow plus extreme cold plus that bright blue chemical melt is a disaster for his paws.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:33 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,128,700 times
Hate resurfacing the school closings of 2014 but the updated temps wood indicate another round of school closings. Monday, 8 degrees, Tuesday is 4 degrees for the low, without wind chill. We will see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia