Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 06:41 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times

Advertisements

I bought milk and stuff to make brownies. Brownies, because they are warm chocolaty goodness and milk because, well... I will need to wash down the brownies!

But in reality, I bought milk because I have a kid and if schools are closed for a day or two, she will drink though it all with meals and hot cocoa since she will be home during the day. I only really needed an extra quart to get me though the week, but at my store, they only had gallons left. No worries, maybe I will make oatmeal (cooked in milk it's really rich). I rather have it on hand then run out and have to go get some.

But I do all my grocery shopping for the week, each weekend and I pack my lunch and my daughter's. So to prepare for a storm, I usually don't have to do much if anything. Generally I just pick up milk since I know we will go though it faster and stuff for "snow comfort food" (like stuff to make brownies ). I also have all my emergency stuff for three days on hand (water, canned food, the radio, batteries, flash lights, etc... ). It's always there, on a shelf together. So I don't need to run out and buy those things each storm. But I do check them before each storm to make sure everything is still there and okay (not expired and such). You know, I am lucky. I never had to tap into my emergency kit except for flashlights during power losses. But it's nice to know it's there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 06:52 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I bought milk and stuff to make brownies. Brownies, because they are warm chocolaty goodness and milk because, well... I will need to wash down the brownies!

But in reality, I bought milk because I have a kid and if schools are closed for a day or two, she will drink though it all with meals and hot cocoa since she will be home during the day. I only really needed an extra quart to get me though the week, but at my store, they only had gallons left. No worries, maybe I will make oatmeal (cooked in milk it's really rich). I rather have it on hand then run out and have to go get some.

But I do all my grocery shopping for the week, each weekend and I pack my lunch and my daughter's. So to prepare for a storm, I usually don't have to do much if anything. Generally I just pick up milk since I know we will go though it faster and stuff for "snow comfort food" (like stuff to make brownies ). I also have all my emergency stuff for three days on hand (water, canned food, the radio, batteries, flash lights, etc... ). It's always there, on a shelf together. So I don't need to run out and buy those things each storm. But I do check them before each storm to make sure everything is still there and okay (not expired and such). You know, I am lucky. I never had to tap into my emergency kit except for flashlights during power losses. But it's nice to know it's there.

Snow comfort food? Sounds yum!! Can we all come over?

Old 02-12-2014, 06:53 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
I'm a a fan of baking during a bad storm. It's a fun indoor activity that keeps kids entertained, it's comfort food, and it's one of those little family traditions that makes staying indoors for a storm feel like a little less of a PITA. And as a parent who now has grown kids with families of their own, I've found it's a surprisingly favorite memory when we sit around talking about "the good old days."

Old 02-12-2014, 07:08 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I agree as far as eggs go. Milk and bread are handy when you have no power to cook a meal. Bread is used to make sandwiches. Or you can have a bowl of cereal with milk.
During the derecho I made bacon and eggs with my propane grill. Take that NOVA.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:12 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
Snow comfort food? Sounds yum!! Can we all come over?
Well, I am going to end up with a whole 13x9 inch pan of brownies. I don't need to eat that many... so sure!

Actually, I was thinking about sharing them with my neighbors who also have to shovel driveways and sidewalks. Maybe I can get a snow shoveling "baked goods block party" started.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:16 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,692 times
Quote:
I'm a a fan of baking during a bad storm. It's a fun indoor activity that keeps kids entertained, it's comfort food, and it's one of those little family traditions that makes staying indoors for a storm feel like a little less of a PITA.
My wife just told me to head to Costco to buy their milk because it's better "for baking"...she's in a "bread mood" for tomorrow.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:23 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
I'm a a fan of baking during a bad storm. It's a fun indoor activity that keeps kids entertained, it's comfort food, and it's one of those little family traditions that makes staying indoors for a storm feel like a little less of a PITA. And as a parent who now has grown kids with families of their own, I've found it's a surprisingly favorite memory when we sit around talking about "the good old days."
That sounds like a great tradition!! Unfortunately, my only bad storm tradition involves lots and lots of towels for the dogs. They want to go out, they want to come in....they want to go out, they want to come in.....they want to go out, they want to come in!

Old 02-12-2014, 07:33 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Unfortunately, my only bad storm tradition involves lots and lots of towels for the dogs. They want to go out, they want to come in....they want to go out, they want to come in.....they want to go out, they want to come in!

I actually have a plaque over my back door that was a gift from a friend, It says:

Agenda for the Day

Let dog in, let dog out, let dog in, let dog out.

In my case it is currently just two dogs but at times it has been as many as six, mostly seniors. Getting them to all go out at the same time is always a challenge. Gotta roust 'em outta their various beds, couches, etc and they tend to do a slow mosey toward the door and there is always one who doesn't think they need to got out, but if let them stay in they are in need half an hour later.

Takes a lot of dog towels to get them all reasonably wiped down and dried off.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
During the derecho I made bacon and eggs with my propane grill. Take that NOVA.
You did that DURING the derecho? outside grill? You were very brave!

Old 02-12-2014, 10:00 AM

254 posts, read 423,198 times
About 8 hours away! I'm so excited! I'm already planning what I will be doing tomorrow at home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia