Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 09:30 AM

540 posts, read 793,934 times

Advertisements

The two hour delay was perfect today. Mid-40s and wet now, but when I went out at 7am I was able to "surf" my driveway on the ice all the way to the street. Obviously, more problematic for those that didn't get plowed, but for those that did, roads are in good shape now. 13.7" at my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 09:30 AM

810 posts, read 1,028,363 times
Yes, I cleaned up my driveway and the snow on my car yesterday. Makes today a much easier job...

Old 02-14-2014, 10:05 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,778,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
The two hour delay was perfect today. Mid-40s and wet now, but when I went out at 7am I was able to "surf" my driveway on the ice all the way to the street. Obviously, more problematic for those that didn't get plowed, but for those that did, roads are in good shape now. 13.7" at my house.
Its borderline. There were a few accidents around my neck of the woods that made my commute awful.

It would make the day almost useless for most, but a four hour delay would have been perfect. Roads by me were still very slick although very drivable. I did make a nice e-brake u-turn only because the road I was on was so slick, and pretty much stopped because of an accident. Sigh. But its a full days pay regardless.

Also, don't want to toot my own horn but I'm prediction panned out actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Most likely scenero... Temps don't look that low, so I bet there will be a late thurs change over to rain, washing away most snow, leave a slushy mix to freeze over night Thursday and a late-opening Friday for the federal gov't. Most will take the day off or work from home, so if you drive cautiously, you should be fine.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:11 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,621,200 times
Commute wasn't bad at all for me from Vienna. I take US 50, and it was in decent shape. No accidents that I saw. Much less traffic than normal, I'm glad that a lot of those who could stay home, did.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:33 AM

138 posts, read 126,070 times
I'm working from home today. I could have driven from Oakton to Tysons, but I had the option of working from home. As a programmer/analyst, I have few meetings. Two days ago I rescheduled a meeting I'd set up for today, figuring it could be tough for some people to attend. So I get a full day's pay without the time on the road, and without any meetings.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:36 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,121,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
So I go outside with my laptop bag, shovel, and a protein shake with great anger before I reach my car. My entire car is covered in at least 6" of solid snow. I turn the car on and try to heat the windows. I walk behind my car to see a cruel joke played on me as the plow trucks have moved over 1 foot of snow into a wall directly behind my car. (
Laptop bag and protein shake? Sweetheart, if you did not clear off your car last night before it froze then what did you expect?

BTW, with snow like this be sure to clear it away from your tail pipe before starting your car. Otherwise it could be very dangerous.

Glad you're not hurt though . . . I mean, playing Hulk and all that . . . .

Over here in Winchester it looks like 2' of snow. Not sure because I quit measuring it. We shoveled twice yesterday and drove one vehicle around yesterday (SUV) but digging out another this morning. Luckily, our street has been plowed 3x.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:39 AM

45,665 posts, read 61,090,515 times
One advantage is we're all getting a lot of melting today, good sun, temps in the low 40's, cleared pavement will heat up and start to melt the edges.

Downsides are storm drain inlets are covered so there will be water pooling on the roads which will likely refreeze tonight.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:27 AM

377 posts, read 531,674 times
was walking along this morning next thing I know I'm on my back, slipped and landed right on my butt. No damage, except to my ego, just laid there for a moment pondering my life and how sucky this winter turned out to be

Old 02-14-2014, 11:32 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,178,753 times
Surprised to hear there are areas where the roads weren't plowed. Talked to a few people in my old neighborhood and they all said the roads were clear wherever they happened to be driving.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:58 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,209,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Surprised to hear there are areas where the roads weren't plowed. Talked to a few people in my old neighborhood and they all said the roads were clear wherever they happened to be driving.
Our road (and environs) is currently one lane. The next higher-level road is one-and-a-half lanes. It butts into a main road - THAT road is all lanes open however the "butt joint" is TOTALLY blocked by a wall of snow so the secondary road has no entrance/exit from that main road. As I was sitting there at a light just a bit ago a pickup truck came from the main road and right through the snow wall, creating a path that all the cars behind it followed (as did I in the opposite direction...)

When I came back from the store that wall was still there, albeit somewhat smaller.

The plowing this time around has been ... interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia