Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 07:41 PM

45,581 posts, read 60,994,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Appreciate the volume of the effort to move kids from bus stops to school and in reverse. However, with regards to safety, I'm sure there were kids on all the days off from school that got injured while sledding, playing, or driving that might not if they were in school.

If each principal could review their bus routes, then they might be able to.identify the 15% of the routes that might bee impacted by poor roads. Those routes could have those few stops use an alternate plan. You said even in todays icy roads there were only a few impacts. If the authority was pushed down, the overall 8,000 buses wouldn't seem so monstrous.

The Friday after MLK day in PWC schools was after a week off. That day it was.very cold and PWC said to only permit your kids to go to school if they.could travel (or wait for bus) safely. A few students were absent but the.whole school system moved along.

Everyday will have some angry parents but if a school day had 85% of its students, it would difficult to refute.
Most Principals can't find their own ass with both hands, so them having any input at all into scheduling buses isn't going to happen. I once had a Principal who wouldn't release at the end of the day until every single bus was there. There were days we were in class for 45 minutes after the scheduled dismissal and 1/2 hour after end of the teacher work day. She also would not start staff meetings until every single teacher was there. There were days we'd sit for an hour or more waiting. She was waiting on the teachers who were absent that day.

So no, Principals don't get near the buses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,624 times
It wouldn't be that hard to develop a system for managing routes. How about just designate them as A, B, or C based on their accessibility, and they can make the call as to which ones can be serviced, rather than shut the whole school system down just because a small portion can't be reached. As far as notifying parents, how is this an issue? We have no problem notifying of delays or closings. Obviously developing a more efficient system would require a little bit of work on the part of the county, which is a deal breaker. I am just baffled as to how school systems up North operate so much more efficiently in much worse winter weather. We're one of the richest counties in the nation, money can't be an issue can it? Maybe we need better school buses?

Old 02-19-2014, 08:06 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,704,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
It wouldn't be that hard to develop a system for managing routes. How about just designate them as A, B, or C based on their accessibility, and they can make the call as to which ones can be serviced, rather than shut the whole school system down just because a small portion can't be reached. As far as notifying parents, how is this an issue? We have no problem notifying of delays or closings. Obviously developing a more efficient system would require a little bit of work on the part of the county, which is a deal breaker. I am just baffled as to how school systems up North operate so much more efficiently in much worse winter weather. We're one of the richest counties in the nation, money can't be an issue can it? Maybe we need better school buses?

The Director of Transportation just retired.

The gig pays about $125K. If you can get by on that, you should apply.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 AM

15,471 posts, read 25,919,643 times
Quote:
It's caused by county based schools system. In the area where I grew up (Metro Detroit), the counties tend to be divided into cities, each with its own school system. That's the only way I can see what you want being successful. Virginia, apparently, does not want it that way.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:18 AM

Why do county workers get so defensive when people suggest they could improve the way they do things? I'm a CPA, hence have no applicable experience, unless they want me to do their tax returns, so I highly doubt I'm getting the job. I get it, it's a lost cause to hope that we could ever operate as efficiently as school systems up North. I'm assuming kids in Canada must all be home schooled.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:22 AM

254 posts, read 424,100 times
Quote:
Maybe is an understatement. I remember when I went to school and would often wonder which moron finalized the standard design of your typical school bus.

First, the school bus is not designed with any engineering fundamentals. Nearly 10 feet of bus frame hangs off behind the rear wheels. This not only looks ridiculous but it puts the bus at a disadvantage in relation to CG and basic driving mechanics.

Second, why do kids need to all sit facing ahead with 2 and sometimes 3 to a seat? If anyone had a brain, you could fit far more kids in the same bus space by removing those disgusting brown seats in favor of 1 or 2 long benches that go around the perimeter of the bus. It also works better from a safety perspective as there are no barriers to get around if the bus caught fire.

Third, why are the window so hard to open? I remember having to get a friend to hold the tab in to move the window down on hot days.

Fourth, the bus is not aerodynamic by any stretch of the imagination. It is basically shaped like a loaf of bread and this hurts gas mileage and eventually tax payers.

Fifth, the ugly orangy yellow color is beyond ugly. It reminds me of what happens when you eat too many carrots or you get a nasty spray tan.

The End.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Why do county workers get so defensive when people suggest they could improve the way they do things? I'm a CPA, hence have no applicable experience, unless they want me to do their tax returns, so I highly doubt I'm getting the job. I get it, it's a lost cause to hope that we could ever operate as efficiently as school systems up North. I'm assuming kids in Canada must all be home schooled.
The same reason that computer security people get defensive when asked why 10 year olds defeat their latest security measures within hours....because it's not as simple as people that know NOTHING about it assume.

About the "up north" stuff...I work with a guy that drove a school bus in upstate New York for 25 years. He has lots of stories, but to keep it brief....he says we compare favorably to the systems he worked for up there.

I read an industry publication....School Bus Fleet magazine. Believe me, they have plenty of trouble with buses "up north".

Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 AM

Maybe instead of getting defensive, the IT guy should figure out a way to fix his system so a 10 year old can't hack it.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
Maybe is an understatement. I remember when I went to school and would often wonder which moron finalized the standard design of your typical school bus.

First, the school bus is not designed with any engineering fundamentals. Nearly 10 feet of bus frame hangs off behind the rear wheels. This not only looks ridiculous but it puts the bus at a disadvantage in relation to CG and basic driving mechanics.

Second, why do kids need to all sit facing ahead with 2 and sometimes 3 to a seat? If anyone had a brain, you could fit far more kids in the same bus space by removing those disgusting brown seats in favor of 1 or 2 long benches that go around the perimeter of the bus. It also works better from a safety perspective as there are no barriers to get around if the bus caught fire.

Third, why are the window so hard to open? I remember having to get a friend to hold the tab in to move the window down on hot days.

Fourth, the bus is not aerodynamic by any stretch of the imagination. It is basically shaped like a loaf of bread and this hurts gas mileage and eventually tax payers.

Fifth, the ugly orangy yellow color is beyond ugly. It reminds me of what happens when you eat too many carrots or you get a nasty spray tan.

The End.
School bus manufacturing is a very low margin business. School buses are always purchased on the basis of lowest bid. There is no money to be made designing a "cutting edge" school bus....you couldn't sell it if it cost more than a non-cutting edge bus. There are only two viable school bus manufacturers left anyway (Navistar and ThomasBuilt)

There are two main types of buses...Type C or "conventional" where the front wheels are forward of the driver. On these buses there must be a large overhang in the rear or else the thing wouldn't around go most corners without backing up. The wheelbase would be far too long.

On the Type D or "transit" bus, the front wheels are well behind the driver allowing for a much shorter overhang in the rear. The wheelbase is roughly the same as a Type C.

Students sitting on benches on the perimeter of the bus? Crazy...in a collision, kids would fly everywhere. School buses use "compartmentalization"...high, well padded seat backs to form a "cocoon" around the students. It works...a kid is 12 times more likely to be killed riding to school in mom's car.

National School Bus Chrome (the official name of school bus yellow) was chosen at a seminal conference in 1939 where that and many other standards were adopted for school buses. Many of which survive to this day. School Bus Chrome was was chosen because it attracts attention and is noticed quickly in peripheral vision, faster than any other color.... "lateral peripheral vision for detecting yellows is 1.24 times greater than for red.". It has nothing to do with style....everything about a school bus is designed with safety and functionality in mind.

About the windows...they definitely do get sticky with age. The windows on my bus are smooth as glass though. I keep the tracks clean and I apply a little silicone occasionally.

That window design was also the result the 1939 conference. The main focus was a design that allowed ventilation but making it difficult for a kids to stick their heads outside of the bus. However, a determined kid can still do it, with occasionally fatal results (tree limbs and other roadside obstructions)

PS: I know you're joking/trolling....but someone might find this interesting.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:03 AM

254 posts, read 424,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
School bus manufacturing is a very low margin business. School buses are always purchased on the basis of lowest bid. There is no money to be made designing a "cutting edge" school bus....you couldn't sell it if it cost more than a non-cutting edge bus. There are only two viable school bus manufacturers left anyway (Navistar and ThomasBuilt)

There are two main types of buses...Type C or "conventional" where the front wheels are forward of the driver. On these buses there must be a large overhang in the rear or else the thing wouldn't around go most corners without backing up. The wheelbase would be far too long.

On the Type D or "transit" bus, the front wheels are well behind the driver allowing for a much shorter overhang in the rear. The wheelbase is roughly the same as a Type C.

Students sitting on benches on the perimeter of the bus? Crazy...in a collision, kids would fly everywhere. School buses use "compartmentalization"...high, well padded seat backs to form a "cocoon" around the students. It works...a kid is 12 times more likely to be killed riding to school in mom's car.

National School Bus Chrome (the official name of school bus yellow) was chosen at a seminal conference in 1939 where that and many other standards were adopted for school buses. Many of which survive to this day. School Bus Chrome was was chosen because it attracts attention and is noticed quickly in peripheral vision, faster than any other color.... "lateral peripheral vision for detecting yellows is 1.24 times greater than for red.". It has nothing to do with style....everything about a school bus is designed with safety and functionality in mind.

About the windows...they definitely do get sticky with age. The windows on my bus are smooth as glass though. I keep the tracks clean and I apply a little silicone occasionally.

That window design was also the result the 1939 conference. The main focus was a design that allowed ventilation but making it difficult for a kids to stick their heads outside of the bus. However, a determined kid can still do it, with occasionally fatal results (tree limbs and other roadside obstructions)

PS: I know you're joking/trolling....but someone might find this interesting.
I'm doing neither. But in reply to your info:

1. Since 1939, a lot has changed in the automotive world and advances to engineering would make these buses far more obsolete than most originally thought.

2. Students sitting on benches on the perimeter of the bus is similar to how modern metro systems are arranged. And for kids flying everywhere, this is exaggerated. Using recent data, less than 0.5% of all motor vehicle accidents involve school buses. And the majority of the fatalities were those in other vehicles. This is because the school bus frame is built with reinforced-steel while most cars are some type of fiber glass.

Additionally I am willing to bet bullying is far more than 0.5% nationwide. And much of this bullying is done on school buses. I've been there and I know. The current seat arrangement allows for who knows what to happen while the driver has no clue. Open the space up so all students are visible and bullying may be prevented more.

Also an open space allowed for easier maintenance, and cleaner bus, and less spreading of diseases. Most sick days are the result of the common cold and much of this is because people are coughing and spread mucus all over their bus rides to and from school.

3. As for windows, they are obsolete. It's as simple as that. You are an outlier if you maintain them like you say you do. Most don't do anything about them. And if they were also designed in 1939 as you say, they were probably designed like that to help kids climb out of a bus during an emergency.

However! The average size of a kid has increased a lot since 1939 and today's windows offers no escape route either.

Not fighting, just debating, constructively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia