Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 05:36 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,702,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
I'm doing neither. But in reply to your info:

1. Since 1939, a lot has changed in the automotive world and advances to engineering would make these buses far more obsolete than most originally thought.

2. Students sitting on benches on the perimeter of the bus is similar to how modern metro systems are arranged. And for kids flying everywhere, this is exaggerated. Using recent data, less than 0.5% of all motor vehicle accidents involve school buses. And the majority of the fatalities were those in other vehicles. This is because the school bus frame is built with reinforced-steel while most cars are some type of fiber glass.

Additionally I am willing to bet bullying is far more than 0.5% nationwide. And much of this bullying is done on school buses. I've been there and I know. The current seat arrangement allows for who knows what to happen while the driver has no clue. Open the space up so all students are visible and bullying may be prevented more.

Also an open space allowed for easier maintenance, and cleaner bus, and less spreading of diseases. Most sick days are the result of the common cold and much of this is because people are coughing and spread mucus all over their bus rides to and from school.

3. As for windows, they are obsolete. It's as simple as that. You are an outlier if you maintain them like you say you do. Most don't do anything about them. And if they were also designed in 1939 as you say, they were probably designed like that to help kids climb out of a bus during an emergency.

However! The average size of a kid has increased a lot since 1939 and today's windows offers no escape route either.

Not fighting, just debating, constructively.

I don't think I said that school buses haven't changed since 1939. Just that many standards like seat dimensions, color, etc are the same. School buses are built on truck chassis, so they have all the automotive advancements that trucks have seen....anti-lock brakes, diesel engines (much safer fuel in an accident where the tank ruptures), terrific Allison automatic transmissions, air brakes, etc.

The school bus market is so unappealing that Ford, GM, and Chrysler all exited the school bus chassis business a decade or more ago. As did Mack and number of lesser truck manufacturers even earlier. Navistar/International makes their own chassis and Thomas uses a Freightliner chassis (because both are subsidiaries of Daimler/Benz).

I would think that perimeter seating would cut the seating capacity of a bus. Unlike modern metro systems, I don't think you'll ever see standees allowed on a school bus.

I consider the windows to be adequate. What other kind would they use? Fore and aft sliders like an old Greyhound bus? Heck, on a lot of modern motorcoaches/city buses, the windows don't even open. But they also have sophisticated HVAC systems that you'll never see in a school bus. For the price of one new Metrobus, you could buy 3-4 new school buses. To my knowledge, school bus windows were never designed as emergency exits (except a special type where the whole thing swings out).

Our buses have two large emergency doors, two of those special emergency windows, a rear emergency exit, two roof hatches, and two kick-out windshield sections.

Bottom line: You'll never see a super school bus. They are sold on price alone. If the super bus costs more, nobody will buy them. Of the two current contenders, Navistar has the biggest market share because they are cheaper than Thomas. As a result, they have to throw them together. While I believe Navistar(IC) buses are structurally sound...the fit and finish is appalling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 05:54 AM

871 posts, read 2,117,250 times
car54,

I thought Blue Bird buses were still around. Have they been bought out by Thomas or Navistar? I used to see Blue Bird buses all of the time (grew up in GA, and I think they are made there).

Old 02-20-2014, 08:25 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,702,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
car54,

I thought Blue Bird buses were still around. Have they been bought out by Thomas or Navistar? I used to see Blue Bird buses all of the time (grew up in GA, and I think they are made there).

Last I heard, Blue Bird hasn't been buried yet, but is on life support. They've been in and out of bankruptcy several times and picked over by hedge funds.

Blue Bird made a very good bus, but they cost too much....I haven't seen a late model one in ages (except some Type As...the small ones with a van front end).

They are still made in Fort Valley, GA, but the Canadian plant is defunct.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:30 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,075,972 times
Saw a snowplow sliding all over Braddock Road in Centreville . Perhaps a delay was in order, Fairfax

Old 02-26-2014, 06:37 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,205,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Saw a snowplow sliding all over Braddock Road in Centreville . Perhaps a delay was in order, Fairfax
A decision has to be made quite a bit of time before the fact - in this case here in Centreville the snow didn't even start until well after the decision time (06:00-ish here in Sully Station).

Sometimes we just have to live with it.

Here's how FCPS has to make decisions and their timing.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:59 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,117 times
In hindsight, FCPS and the fed govt should've both delayed 2 hours. My commute on the beltway was a mess w/ accidents. But hindsight is 20/20. I can tell you I was FLOORED when I checked early a.m. and schools were on time. I knew the fed would be. They don't delay/close unless it's a blizzard. But schools on time with snow on the ground? What is the world coming to.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:04 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,075,972 times
I understand when the decision has to be made. Given the forecast and track, I'm surprised there wasn't a delay, especially given how they've delayed for far less

Old 02-26-2014, 08:12 AM

128 posts, read 158,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
But schools on time with snow on the ground? What is the world coming to.
I think it's because they've used all their available snow days. I commuted in with no problem. The roads are quite fine, it's just the people who panic at the mere sight of a snowflake (of whom there is an abundance in this area).

The only problem I have with delays is the crowd. Instead of people trickling in at 6:30 to 7:30 with a gradual increase to 10 AM, with a 2-hr delay EVERYONE comes in one large horde at 9:30 to 10 AM.

Last edited by Erix; 02-26-2014 at 08:21 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 08:24 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erix View Post
I think it's because they've used all their available snow days. I commuted in with no problem. The roads are quite fine, it's just the people who panic at the mere sight of a snowflake (of whom there is an abundance in this area).

The only problem I have with delays is the crowd. Instead of people trickling in at 6:30 to 7:30 with a gradual increase to 10 AM, with a 2-hr delay EVERYONE comes in one large horde at 9:30 to 10 AM.
Yeah I didn't expect a closing because of their lack of snow days, but I thought 2 hour delay for schools was a lock. I think 2 hour delay for everyone would have helped on a day like today because the road crews would've had more time to work before most people hit the roads. Part of the issue today was because of the early morning accidents the roads were jammed and the crews were having a hard time working on them.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:24 AM

15,468 posts, read 25,915,429 times
There was a 2 hour delay. It took us 2 hours to get to worry today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia