Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 05:12 AM

77 posts, read 294,972 times

Advertisements

Why close school for just a prediction when it could possibly fizzle out? Wait at least until the morning to see what happens. Plus if this storm acts as they predict kids could easily do a half day at least and then go home. This quick resolve to just shut down is one of the many reasons why our american education system is lagging on the global stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 05:19 AM

59 posts, read 91,121 times
Well see in my opinion one of the lessons learned from 2011 is that closing everything (schools, government, businesses) down at the same time just dumps millions of people out onto the road at exactly the same time while the storm rages. The limited snow equipment can't do their jobs, and stuff starts piling up on the streets. Yes we could all do half a day, then be jammed in traffic from 12 - 10 pm or later. Or 4 am. To accomplish what, 2-3 hours of work?

It wasn't always this way, but like I've said that has changed recently with the crazy population influx and the lessons learned from 2011.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:56 AM

989 posts, read 2,862,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
I am not disagreeing about schools being closed, but am just wondering where there are gravel roads for school buses to travel. I am sure there are some out there, but where? I live in the midst of mega-development, so I think I am fully unaware of "what else is out there."
Western Loudoun County has a ton of gravel roads. They turn into sheets of ice quickly. Loudoun school officials always have to take these roads into consideration when making a closure decision.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:14 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,206,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonJeep View Post
Why close school for just a prediction when it could possibly fizzle out?
Unfortunately there is a LOT of "infrastructure" that starts up WELL before the kiddies attend classes - that infrastructure needs to be stopped dead very early. Since the storm warning was for 7AM onward it makes total sense to use multiple sources of expert predictions to say "Okay, it's actually coming. Have to make the decision NOW".

It IS possible to see no decision being made, then the kiddies let go early, however since THIS storm is predicted to last right through evening AND starting BEFORE noon that kind of decision is also out.

As far as Fairfax is concerned, there is an excellent page or two describing the reasoning and decision-making process on the FCPS.edu site, e.g.: Storm Decision Making

Old 01-21-2014, 06:27 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,446,502 times
Personally I have been amazed this year at FCPS making the snow day calls and getting the word out the night before. They always use to wait until the morning. Not sure if it's due the type of storms we have coming through this year or the fact there's a new superintendent and new people in charge of this area. I tend to think it's the last reason myself. I'm sure it's made it much nicer for many people knowing far enough ahead.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:33 AM

26,709 posts, read 41,874,164 times
Well my job just officially went to a system that follows OPM's guidelines so no work for me today. Also Marymount University is closed, so I don't have to go to class tonight. Since I live 10-15 minutes from both, I could probably make it in if I had to.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:37 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,624 times
I think it's a good call. The chances of this one fizzling out seem pretty minimal given how low the temps are dropping.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:37 AM

26,709 posts, read 41,874,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonJeep View Post
Why close school for just a prediction when it could possibly fizzle out? Wait at least until the morning to see what happens. Plus if this storm acts as they predict kids could easily do a half day at least and then go home. This quick resolve to just shut down is one of the many reasons why our american education system is lagging on the global stage.
Liability issues. If the schools open and the now is the real deal, there would be a load of lawsuits resorting in millions of dollars in losses, even if they close early, from all the accidents and injuries that could happen.

Oh yeah, the American education system has MUCH bigger reasons why it is lagging behind than closing for snow.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:52 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,732,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Personally I have been amazed this year at FCPS making the snow day calls and getting the word out the night before. They always use to wait until the morning. Not sure if it's due the type of storms we have coming through this year or the fact there's a new superintendent and new people in charge of this area. I tend to think it's the last reason myself. I'm sure it's made it much nicer for many people knowing far enough ahead.
I agree on all counts.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:56 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,635,339 times
I went ahead and called in that I won't be coming to work today. Boss is from Massachusetts, has 4WD & snow tires, and lives 2 miles from work. He doesn't get that I'm a snow-wuss driver, live 15 miles away on top of a steep hill and don't have a snow-friendly vehicle. Yah, I could go in and do a half day, but Boss has a passive-aggressive way of trying to push my leaving time later and later by telling me "XYZ must be done" but working on ABC for 2-3 hours before doing his stuff on XYZ so I can finish it up and send it out. Not today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia