Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 05:34 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,145,186 times

Advertisements

Unscheduled telework gives real telworkers a bad name. The supervisors of occasional teleworkers don't know how to set expectations and don't curtail those that don't do anything during these occasional snow days. The YouTube and cnn surfers can not perform without direct supervision let alone telework. A lot of supervisors where i work don't like teleworking and it doesn't help that these same supervisors can't establish work priorities which is essential in teleworking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 05:43 PM

128 posts, read 158,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Went to Harris Teeter a few hours ago. It was packed with people (and the pharmacist said it had been insane most of the day) and checkout lines were long, but the shelves were generally still well-stocked.
I went to the Safeway here. Not crowded at all (I've had more trouble during the week after work) and the shelves were well stocked all things considered. I then went to the Whole Foods in Springfield and it was PACKED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Unscheduled telework gives real telworkers a bad name. The supervisors of occasional teleworkers don't know how to set expectations and don't curtail those that don't do anything during these occasional snow days. The YouTube and cnn surfers can not perform without direct supervision let alone telework. A lot of supervisors where i work don't like teleworking and it doesn't help that these same supervisors can't establish work priorities which is essential in teleworking.
I can only telework when I cannot otherwise come into work (closed, or hazerdous driving conditions, Metro closed, etc...), but am required to telework when the government is closed unless I lose power. Otherwise, I have to use leave. I only get admin leave when my power goes out, or 2 hours of it when there is a delay. About the internet surfers...I see people doing that at the office all the time. And the lack of supervision and lost productivity are the exact reasons my boss despises telework (we had to twist his arm to get the situational agreement for bad weather). Basically, it comes down to productivity AND adequate office coverage--the latter is what is cited most often in my division when telework is being discussed. I work in a leased government building, and when OMB drops by to see boatloads of empty desks because a third of the office is scheduled to telework that day it raises a few red flags.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:54 PM

320 posts, read 713,284 times
Hmmm...I have jury duty tomorrow at the PWC courts...will they be closing? I really don't feel comfortable driving all the way out there in the snow.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:55 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,292,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Before you ditch packing the jacket, special weather Alert for San Antonio. Temps falling into 30's with winds pushing into 20's.
The Weather Channel
I know. Enjoyed rubbing the one day at least. It is already very windy here and pretty cold. We'll be outside some in Hill Country and I may have not brought enough winter clothes.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:59 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,292,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy62 View Post
Hmmm...I have jury duty tomorrow at the PWC courts...will they be closing? I really don't feel comfortable driving all the way out there in the snow.
Jury info line. 703 792 6032.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:02 PM

^Will they update their operating status on that number. All it says is to report in by 8:45 AM tomorrow.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:19 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,475,715 times
Fairfax County Government closed on Monday, March 3rd: Fairfax County Emergency Information | Official Fairfax County Government Emergency Preparedness, Response and Recovery Website

Old 03-02-2014, 07:29 PM

PWC courts are closed

Old 03-02-2014, 09:24 PM

254 posts, read 424,100 times
My boss texted me a few hours ago saying work is closed tomorrow. My only wish is that it started snowing around 9 or 10am so I could hit the gym at 5am, come back home, and sleep.

Anyways, another 3-day weekend in the bag! Joining the government was one of the best decisions in my life!

Old 03-03-2014, 04:00 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,968,297 times
So apparently storm systems can cause some people to go into labor. Yeah, this one's going to be a memorable one in the caliterp household...one more reason to hate winter! I was supposed to have five more weeks!

Luckily we are snowed in at the hospital and not at home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia