Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,672,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Is it just me or was this storm mostly hype? I haven't been out so I don't know what the roads are like but we have considerably below the 6 to 12 inches forecasted. Still, closings for tomorrow already starting.

It was yet again WAY hyped; however, we are falling in the CWG range of 5-9 inches. I probably have about 6-7 inches on my deck (I am south of the city).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 01:43 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,100,260 times
Pwc has already declared all their schools will be closed again on Tuesday.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:57 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,318,927 times
I'm pretty certain every school system around here will close tomorrow. Fed government will probably open, maybe on a delay

Old 03-03-2014, 02:08 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,786,233 times
I don't think I'd say this storm was overhyped, at least anymore than usual in this area. And, the truth of the matter is that if they don't really play up these storms people won't stay off the roads. Even with the hype, plenty of people decide to go out on the roads anyway.

Case in point, see the Post's live blog posts from 11:32 am and 11:12 am: Live updates: March winter storm hits D.C. area
My favorite is the community college math teach who decided it would be a good day to get that oil change she'd been putting off and ran into a median because she couldn't distinguish it from the snow. I mean, seriously, snow day, so let's go get an oil change?

Old 03-03-2014, 02:46 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,404,445 times
Wow. I feel bad for her but they say don't travel unless you absolutely have to for a reason.

I've also never been happier to see the sun come out.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Wow. I feel bad for her but they say don't travel unless you absolutely have to for a reason.

I've also never been happier to see the sun come out.
Where is this sun that you speak of?

Old 03-03-2014, 03:03 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,404,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Where is this sun that you speak of?
In Stafford Co. Is it not out anywhere else?

Old 03-03-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
In Stafford Co. Is it not out anywhere else?
Never saw it in Woodbridge. Just as gray as it's been all day.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:34 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,329,864 times
Fairfax Schools are closed Tuesday.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:35 PM
TPL

136 posts, read 317,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I don't think I'd say this storm was overhyped, at least anymore than usual in this area. And, the truth of the matter is that if they don't really play up these storms people won't stay off the roads. Even with the hype, plenty of people decide to go out on the roads anyway.

Case in point, see the Post's live blog posts from 11:32 am and 11:12 am: Live updates: March winter storm hits D.C. area
My favorite is the community college math teach who decided it would be a good day to get that oil change she'd been putting off and ran into a median because she couldn't distinguish it from the snow. I mean, seriously, snow day, so let's go get an oil change?

Lol, thank you for the heads up on that blog post. That makes my day, it's just so rediculous. I mean, yeah, I don't like seeing people wreck, but the absurdity of some never ceases to amaze me.

I met the mailman outside this afternoon, someone who actually has to be out and about no matter the weather (Within some reason, of course), and he said the conditions were simply getting worse. Case in point: Some awesome neighbors helped us to clear our driveway and part of our sidewalk out front, and when we were clearing it the surface was liquid because of the sunlight (It was cloudy, but that doesn't stop the rays from affecting the environment). However, within an hour the temperature caught up to everything, and all of that liquid had frozen over into solid ice as the sun moved lower in the sky. Despite the fact that it never went above freezing, not even close to it, the sun this time of year has that much of an impact for a short period of time. Here's one piece of advice: If the temperatures aren't going above freezing, always leave a layer of snow on the ground instead of bare concrete if you can. You're better off just packing down this sort of dry snow until it warms up, otherwise you'll be ice skating over most of the exposed pavement. The only part of the sidewalk that you can comfortably walk on in my neighborhood right now is that which is still covered in snow. Who would've thought?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia