Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:39 PM

8,082 posts, read 10,104,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

This article has some very weird details about the Worst Lady's behavior and how she treated the mansion staff and even a State Trooper. Shameful.
Did you see her during his mea culpa speech this evening? She had that Leona Helmsley look on her face..."only the little people don't participate in these sorts of schemes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 07:10 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,737,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Did you see her during his mea culpa speech this evening? She had that Leona Helmsley look on her face..."only the little people don't participate in these sorts of schemes."
I couldn't believe they held a press conference or that they denied the allegations. The authorities have both of them dead to rights; they should just keep their mouths shut. But then if they had enough sense to do that, they wouldn't have asked for and accepted all the money and gifts in the first place.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 PM

114 posts, read 171,504 times
Quote:
I couldn't believe they held a press conference or that they denied the allegations. The authorities have both of them dead to rights; they should just keep their mouths shut. But then if they had enough sense to do that, they wouldn't have asked for and accepted all the money and gifts in the first place.
I guess they don't have enough money for a good enough lawyer to tell them to shutup. Wifey looked pissed!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:24 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,102,236 times
Quote:
I read through the actual indictment. It's a lot worse than I had previously thought. They were in dire financial straits due to two beach houses that weren't generating rental income as they'd planned. Mrs. McD then began asking Jonnie Williams for various gifts (shopping trips for her at Bergdorf's, a Rolex for Bob, etc.), the $50,000 no-paperwork loan, the $15,000 "wedding gift," another $50,000 loan/gift, etc.--in clear exchange for promoting Mr. Williams' business. I almost feel embarrassed for the McDonnells--but the boldness of their stupidity is truly stunning.

Pages 38 and 42 have, respectively, handy lists of the cash gifts (totalling over $130,00) and of the clothing and jewelry items, which add up to over $140,000.

By the way, here are the official rules for Federal employees that ChristineVA refers to. (I'm surprised to hear you can't chip in $5 for someone's going-away lunch, but I haven't read the regs lately.)
You got through the entire indictment? Wow. I quit after the 101st reference to the McDonnell's pitching Anatabloc to hapless state and university officials. You just know everyone around was constantly rolling their eyes and trying to escape before they brought it up again.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:45 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,462,613 times
C, that Washingtonian article was great. Either these two are incredibly arrogant or all that drinking addled their brains, maybe?

Old 01-21-2014, 07:46 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,737,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
You got through the entire indictment? Wow. I quit after the 101st reference to the McDonnell's pitching Anatabloc to hapless state and university officials. You just know everyone around was constantly rolling their eyes and trying to escape before they brought it up again.
Indeed--probably like bringing up religion with John Travolta!

I must admit I started skimming after the first 10 pages or so. I almost felt sorry Jonnie Williams; I mean, here's the wife of the governor with this sob story about their finances, and she flat-out asks you to buy her inauguration dress. Then for a loan. Then to buy her husband a Rolex. I would've been trying to avoid her like the plague--but then, he was getting a lot in return: gubernatorial sponsorship of his snake oil.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:50 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,462,613 times
What I'd like to know is, where did he get the money to repay Williams?

Old 01-21-2014, 09:11 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,005,189 times
Quote:
I'm just now reading this article by the former chef in the governor's mansion. Lemme tell ya: It's jaw dropping.
A very tabloid-ish article, but very telling nonetheless. Definitely not the kind of article you would expect from a newspaper. Seems very gossipy with not much information being corroborated. I'm not saying that everything he said wasn't true, because honestly I believe there is truth in most, but considering how this guy views the McDonnells and Cuccinelli, I don't know how a newspaper can publish that entire story without getting more detail from other sources. I mean the guy literally was quoted in saying how much he disdained certain individuals that he was discussing. Wouldn't that at least make you wonder how truthful everything he was saying was?

This is very embarrassing for the state. It seems a irresponsible and almost arrogant that the McDonnells would take these actions and didn't think they would get caught.

Last edited by justtitans; 01-21-2014 at 09:19 PM..

Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,101,489 times
Mr and Mrs are both going to prison. Good riddance.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:08 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,321,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
A very tabloid-ish article, but very telling nonetheless. Definitely not the kind of article you would expect from a newspaper. Seems very gossipy with not much information being corroborated. I'm not saying that everything he said wasn't true, because honestly I believe there is truth in most, but considering how this guy views the McDonnells and Cuccinelli, I don't know how a newspaper can publish that entire story without getting more detail from other sources. I mean the guy literally was quoted in saying how much he disdained certain individuals that he was discussing. Wouldn't that at least make you wonder how truthful everything he was saying was?

This is very embarrassing for the state. It seems a irresponsible and almost arrogant that the McDonnells would take these actions and didn't think they would get caught.
It was an entertainment magazine, not newspaper. Par for the course for Washingtonian. Great read though. Even if it's only 50% true it still brings to light so much arrogance and abuse of power. The sad thing is this is probably not all that uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia