Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 07:55 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Mr and Mrs are both going to prison. Good riddance.
I would be more confident in saying that their reputations are ruined than that they'll go to prison. All they'd need are one or more jury members who believe that politics are inherently partisan and that the prosecution is politically motivated.

I think the Washington Post (not the Washingtonian) got this just right when it said this points out the need for much tighter ethics laws for Virginia politicians, the current absence of which is due to state politicians indulging in the fiction that they are all 18th century gentlemen of unimpeachable integrity who periodically get together to do the people's business in Richmond and are beyond reproach. But, from reading parts of the indictment, this looks more like "American Hustle" than "1776," except that Amy Adams may get an Oscar and Maureen McDonnell may get a cellmate.

Last edited by JD984; 01-22-2014 at 08:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:57 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
I would be all for tighter ethics laws, but what these two did was so obviously against the existing laws; elected officials can't just ask other people for money, other than through the very specific process of campaign financing. I had previously thought this was "merely" a case of someone offering overly exorbitant gifts, which they accepted--rather than them asking for (and getting) gifts, cash, and loans--and then using the office to endorse someone's business.

What it sounds like to me is that Mrs. McD felt underdressed around the old bags and baguettes who've appointed themselves as Richmond's upper crust. Rather than be themselves, she felt like they had to fit in by wearing these extremely expensive clothes and jewelry. Rather than do what--of all people--George W. Bush and family did while in DC, which is just accept that they're not part of the local social scene and not try to fit in.

But clearly, Mrs. McD has some mental issues too; I mean, who in their right mind, when seeing a few areas the housekeeper missed in the bathroom, strips to her underwear and starts cleaning--and then demands the professional staff join her? That's just bizarre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
What I'd like to know is, where did he get the money to repay Williams?
Good question!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:44 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
It was an entertainment magazine, not newspaper. Par for the course for Washingtonian. Great read though. Even if it's only 50% true it still brings to light so much arrogance and abuse of power. The sad thing is this is probably not all that uncommon.
I agree it's probably not uncommon at all. If she did even some of that stuff, I can't imagine what it would have been like working for her. She seems like she isn't exactly first lady material. It may be a blessing in disguise that this woman is not going to get a chance to go to the White House.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:42 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Enjoyed the story.....and I was a fan of the Governor and was sorry he lost it all by his own hand. As for Cuccinelli, I think he swam in the same pond. I only voted for him as I really believe he put Virginia before anything else. It was like having a fierce terrier nipping at this Administration's heels. I think we lost that in the election and I find that disheartening.

Oh well, we'll move on to someone new in years. In VA, it's a 4 year term limit.....McDonnell can run again after he sits out for 4 years....and while that's not likely to happen, we're real close to the city that re - elected a crack smoking mayor, over and over again. Things that make life interesting.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:13 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Enjoyed the story.....and I was a fan of the Governor and was sorry he lost it all by his own hand. As for Cuccinelli, I think he swam in the same pond. I only voted for him as I really believe he put Virginia before anything else. It was like having a fierce terrier nipping at this Administration's heels. I think we lost that in the election and I find that disheartening.

Oh well, we'll move on to someone new in years. In VA, it's a 4 year term limit.....McDonnell can run again after he sits out for 4 years....and while that's not likely to happen, we're real close to the city that re - elected a crack smoking mayor, over and over again. Things that make life interesting.
As opposed to the sitting teaparty member of congress who does cocaine during business hours and is still in office right? And by over and over you mean when he stepped aside in 1990 after the arrest, then in 1994 when presumably sober by all measures, returned and won 1 election and then selecting not to run again.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:05 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post

Different place, different demographic, different standards

Old 01-22-2014, 07:25 PM

114 posts, read 171,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
As opposed to the sitting teaparty member of congress who does cocaine during business hours and is still in office right? And by over and over you mean when he stepped aside in 1990 after the arrest, then in 1994 when presumably sober by all measures, returned and won 1 election and then selecting not to run again.

While I agree that the Tea Party is nuts, please don't try to defend anything Barry has done. That man is an absolute disgrace and one of the top 3 reasons DC was horrible for 30 years. Even if you're a liberal democrat (as I am), please do not try to defend that man. He has done so much damage to DC and the democratic party it's not even funny.

DC was finally granted home rule and they spat that piece of crap out to destroy what little was left of any respect for DC as a city. It's taken 15 years of gentrification to even get tourists to return without bulletproof vests....

Old 01-22-2014, 10:13 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
Anthony Williams, the real architect of DC's return. Fenty was an arrogant *** that rode on Williams' coattails.

And we're far behind Canada in the corrupt mayor thing -- Montreal's been through three mayors in the past year IIRC and Rob Ford was set up by that hoser, eh.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:50 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wood View Post
While I agree that the Tea Party is nuts, please don't try to defend anything Barry has done. That man is an absolute disgrace and one of the top 3 reasons DC was horrible for 30 years. Even if you're a liberal democrat (as I am), please do not try to defend that man. He has done so much damage to DC and the democratic party it's not even funny.

DC was finally granted home rule and they spat that piece of crap out to destroy what little was left of any respect for DC as a city. It's taken 15 years of gentrification to even get tourists to return without bulletproof vests....
Not defending, pointing out that DC politics is no different than "real murka" politics in terms of the hypocrisy and personal problems of those that get elected. Atleast in the case of DC politics he went to jail. If the congressman had been in Florida he would have been facing 10 year mandatory penalties... something that plenty of non-congressmen in Florida have been convicted of.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:22 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Mr and Mrs are both going to prison. Good riddance.

Baloney. They will be found "not guilty". They have not broken any actual laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia