Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,071 times

Advertisements

i am trying to be a law enforcement officer. if i was to get this job i would want a place that i can shoot. (build my own range) i see that their are rural areas around dc in Maryland and Virginia. not exactly sure the laws yet for those areas since i live in ny state. the reason i want to live in dc is because i have always wanted to be a police officer in dc and hopefully became a secret service member.
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 09:25 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebik View Post
i am trying to be a law enforcement officer. if i was to get this job i would want a place that i can shoot. (build my own range) i see that their are rural areas around dc in Maryland and Virginia. not exactly sure the laws yet for those areas since i live in ny state. the reason i want to live in dc is because i have always wanted to be a police officer in dc and hopefully became a secret service member.
thank you
You may want to look into Northern Virginia.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:21 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,117 times
You may want to look in MD.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebik View Post
thank you
going out on a limb, but I doubt you will be a Secret Service member.....I think the communication qualifications are stricter than you have demonstrated.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:30 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Boy, you'll have to go out several ZIP codes to discharge a firearm in this part of the state. Too much development, and people that don't understand the need to practice outdoors. That's one reason we are heading South for good.
Good luck.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:10 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Not sure why you feel the need to be an officer in DC. There are plenty of Suburban PD's in VA/MD where you might be able to work but VA is the state to live in with its more lax laws on firearms. You will need property as far out as Fauquier County if you want to shoot with your own range. There are still a few areas where you can shoot in Prince William County if you have the minimum 5 acres. (Nokesville is one area) Secret Service is tough to get into and working in DC will provide no additional benefit. I realize this is the internet but writing skills will make you stand out in life or it will cause problems getting into the front door so be careful and scrutinize all of your writing. We all make mistakes but we should catch as many as possible before hitting that send button.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:45 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Secret Service requires at least a 4 year degree, most have or are working on their MA.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:36 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Secret Service requires at least a 4 year degree, most have or are working on their MA.
True. And then some. Despite what the movies show, I have known a lot of Secret Service agents and none have ever been police. All have been well-educated, professional types, more along the lines of what you'd find in foreign service than the police force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia