U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:19 PM

13,962 posts, read 24,735,999 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about this - since we are having such unusually cold weather. Our kitchen pipes are on an outside wall (as are all the cabinets - in the winter I keep the door to the plates/bowls open because they get freezing cold) - I've been opening the cabinet doors under the kitchen sink to let in some heat since it's gotten so cold (I usually turn the heat down really low at night because I HATE it to be hot when sleeping but I've kept it on to upper 50's/60 now - I'm wondering about the basement - it's unfinished (washer, dryer, etc. is down there) the pipes run along the outside wall (which is along the basement stairwell) - do I need to waste water and keep that pipe trickling?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 05:37 PM

5,754 posts, read 10,062,888 times
We're letting one outdoor faucet barely trickle--although when it's this cold, it's not trickling at all. (The other one we have shut off from inside.) Our basement if finished.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:36 PM

9,267 posts, read 4,557,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm curious about this - since we are having such unusually cold weather. Our kitchen pipes are on an outside wall (as are all the cabinets - in the winter I keep the door to the plates/bowls open because they get freezing cold) - I've been opening the cabinet doors under the kitchen sink to let in some heat since it's gotten so cold (I usually turn the heat down really low at night because I HATE it to be hot when sleeping but I've kept it on to upper 50's/60 now - I'm wondering about the basement - it's unfinished (washer, dryer, etc. is down there) the pipes run along the outside wall (which is along the basement stairwell) - do I need to waste water and keep that pipe trickling?
Likely you'll be fine with just allowing room heat to enter the open sink base cabinet. Now I do wonder how you can tolerate keeping your home at "upper 50's". That's not much heat to keep pipes from freezing.
Letting your faucet run wastes water, and isn't needed unless you are over an unheated crawl space.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:43 PM

4,709 posts, read 11,977,882 times
I have one pipe that is in the attic that I worry about so I drip the faucet that it feeds. One of my upcoming projects will be to re-route that pipe....major job, but I won't have to worry about it anymore.

Hey Carling, how come you don't shut off both of those hose bibs? Once the trickle freezes solid, there's the same danger of freezing as doing nothing.

I replaced all my bibs with these things:

Moen 200506 | National Builder Supply

They're great and you can use them year round regardless of the temperature.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:21 PM

143 posts, read 319,485 times
My kitchen sink also faces an outside wall. I keep the cabinets under the sink open to let warm air in and I also let the sink drip. Every source I have checked on preventing pipes from freezing says to let the water drip. When I lived in Boston everyone let their pipes drip when it was extremely cold--it wasn't even a question!

Last week there were numerous reports of pipes freezing and rupturing in restaurants and even at the Ballston Mall, and some of those pipes weren't even facing an outside wall. I would definitely be concerned about basement pipes!

Old 01-23-2014, 09:25 PM

469 posts, read 992,943 times
letting your faucets drip/trickle will ruin them. I'm amazed at how few people use the delay button on their dishwashers, It's a great way to get water moving through the pipes in the middle of the night, and have a refreshed supply of hot water early in the morning. But I guess in an area where people have a difficult time lighting a fire; it shouldn't be surprising.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I have one pipe that is in the attic that I worry about so I drip the faucet that it feeds. One of my upcoming projects will be to re-route that pipe....major job, but I won't have to worry about it anymore.

Hey Carling, how come you don't shut off both of those hose bibs? Once the trickle freezes solid, there's the same danger of freezing as doing nothing.

I replaced all my bibs with these things:

Moen 200506 | National Builder Supply

They're great and you can use them year round regardless of the temperature.
Thanks--but what is that exactly? Looks like just a nice-looking regular outdoor faucet.

I leave the one trickling because I saw/read somewhere that it prevents bursting. Is that incorrect? I had never done it up to now and never had a pipe burst--but I figured maybe we were just lucky. One outdoor faucet (in our unfinished but heated laundry room) has an inside shutoff; the other faucet doesn't but enters into a finished basement storage room, which is also heated.

Growing up in North-Central Texas, people used these odd stryofoam cup things that fit over the outdoor faucet. Never seen those out here anywhere--or in New England.

BTW, re. the title of this thread, I want credit for resisting the obvious Flomax joke.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:01 PM

4,709 posts, read 11,977,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Thanks--but what is that exactly? Looks like just a nice-looking regular outdoor faucet.

It's a "frost-free" outdoor faucet. Instead of having the actual valve part of the faucet outside in the freezing cold....it is inside in the heated space. It's sort of like a fire hydrant...they don't freeze because the valve is way down deep in the ground, below the frost line.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
It's a "frost-free" outdoor faucet. Instead of having the actual valve part of the faucet outside in the freezing cold....it is inside in the heated space. It's sort of like a fire hydrant...they don't freeze because the valve is way down deep in the ground, below the frost line.
Ah! Very clever. Wish we had these.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:04 AM

396 posts, read 1,051,542 times
Yes, I am letting my pipes trickle! See this new discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia