Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 04:37 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,323,411 times

Advertisements

The State of NoVa still growing fast, Loudoun now Virginia’s third largest county

NOVA continues to grow at a fast pace-Loudon County in particular
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 07:55 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,408,917 times
It's a good and bad thing. The bad aspect is more people means more congestion and I know in PWC it seems to be getting more and more congested but they also seem to be working on it with extending lanes, creating more biker lanes, etc.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:10 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,323,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
It's a good and bad thing. The bad aspect is more people means more congestion and I know in PWC it seems to be getting more and more congested but they also seem to be working on it with extending lanes, creating more biker lanes, etc.
Hence why need to try to build more densely closer in. Demographically most of the population gains are coming from single and younger new residents (and college grads). Those people can be absorbed in their growth through multi-family land use in walkable neighborhoods, avoiding more sprawl further and further out, and helping to reduce the amount of congestion that befalls people who live in established neighborhoods.

Want better suburbs (and farmland)? Support better cities. Cause a person living closer in, is one less person climb on your back in traffic.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:19 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,423,086 times
yes tysonseng, but a lot of people cant afford / dont want to live closer in hence Loudon being the fastest growing co.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:55 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,122,025 times
Since a lots of the jobs are in Loudoun, many people move there because they are living closer to work. One challenge I see is finding plenty of things for the growing group of young singles to do after work. Reston, and even Herndon, are starting to have some fun places to go, but Loudoun doesn't have all that much yet, unless you're into sports.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Since a lots of the jobs are in Loudoun, many people move there because they are living closer to work. One challenge I see is finding plenty of things for the growing group of young singles to do after work. Reston, and even Herndon, are starting to have some fun places to go, but Loudoun doesn't have all that much yet, unless you're into sports.
I believe the percentage of jobs in the metro region located is currently under 5%, hard to say it is a lot of jobs.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
yes tysonseng, but a lot of people cant afford / dont want to live closer in hence Loudon being the fastest growing co.
Matter of choice. There are houses in Fairfax that cost the same as the houses that go for sale in Loudoun. Its just that people think they need 5br and lawns and other things.

If you want those things, thats fine, but lets not pretend that people "need" those things. And most certainly things that are only wants in real estate should not be subsidized by tax payers in the form of paying for developers infrastructure and dealing with the deferred maintenance caused on roadways by all the cars driving from further out.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:57 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,122,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
I believe the percentage of jobs in the metro region located is currently under 5%, hard to say it is a lot of jobs.
You're free to believe what you wish, but I continue to notice that I meet a lot of young singles moving into Loudoun and they usually say the reason is their job is there. I make a point of asking, since (as you may have read on this forum) I've been working with the fire company to create more activities that might appeal to this growing group of young singles. And certainly on this forum we've had a high percentage of threads started by people moving to Virginia for jobs in the Leesburg, Ashburn, and Sterling areas.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:59 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,323,411 times
Fairfax approves $1.4 billion to improve roads, build sidewalks - The Washington Post

More infrastructure is going to be built in Fairfax County.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:36 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,572,424 times
And when you look at how big Loudoun is, you can bifrucate the county into two sections / east and west. East is really the area of higher concentration of activity for home building and concentrated wealth. It amazes me when I read these statistics about wealthy counties in the country and see Loudoun ranked in the top section over and and over again, yet I live maybe 10 miles from the Loudoun/Fairfax border, while 1 miles further west (as the crow flies), it's rural.

I agree with TE on building better cities, but as he pointed out, if you want to live like we live in Loudoun, you can and that's fine. I think property taxes shoud further support the infrastructure of the roads and public support system better, and as more folks buy in, more tax revenue on that front. But I get what he's saying about Loudoun folks commuting into Fairfax and putting additional burden on Fairfax's infrastructure. Just the way it is I guess. Same can be said in KC, where folks live on the KS site in the nice and new Johnson County, while working on the MO side M-F.

Me personally, I won't live anywhere that has a shared wall. I prefer the SFH with the yard for my own peace of mind. Hearing folks above, below, beside my walls isn't my thing. I'm also not comfortable with the idea of someone's mistake having the real potential of become my immediate emergency (like a kitchen fire). I prefer a little more elbow room from people. And if I want to watch Rambo at 2am with the surround sound on, I don't want to worry if it's bothering my neighbors, and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: