Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:15 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,234,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post
frequent x-rays are a rip-off. My dentist does the cleaning herself, it's 16 usd. She is so thorough that she will spot a cavity visually and with the ice pick thing. If you have pain, they will do an x-ray of that tooth for 6 usd. If you need an implant, they will send you to either the University Dental School or a private lab for a 360 degree mouth x-ray with the German equipment. That cost 9.25 usd. Sorry that won't help you much, but will give you an idea of the magnitude of the dental ripoff in NoVa. It must be working; because they call the country, the "Land of Smiles."
Do you go back to Thailand for all cleanings and dental work? I would imagine the airfare makes up for the $16 cleaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 06:25 AM

469 posts, read 1,040,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Do you go back to Thailand for all cleanings and dental work? I would imagine the airfare makes up for the $16 cleaning.
I stay here approx. half the year, so I get one when I arrive and one before I leave. Had deep cleaning/root planing in 2010, that was 60 usd, done by the periodontist. Airfare can be had for about 1000 usd, but I generally use miles, which were 65000 for rt, but are now 80000.

In the States; I would go to www.nogalesdentallaser.com They have the CEREC crown technology, and the local school district allows its employees to go with zero deductible. I've seen better results and lower costs in Thailand, though. www.gracedental.com, which is one of the more expensive places here...prices are on their website, as are the credentials of the DDSs .

Old 04-01-2014, 03:26 PM

45 posts, read 147,697 times
Whoa everybody, I'm confused here. NO ONE CAN DO ANYTHING w/o your CONSENT! The dental x-ray thing is the biggest scam going!! Those doctors have to pay for that expensive equipment that is why they are insisting on it. Just say NO. Make it clear when you make the appointment (that's what I do), and remember your insurance company will surely refuse to pay if it is not necessary. Just say "my insurance company will not pay for any more this year." Please please please remember not to allow a doctor or worse an office staff intimidate you into a service. They are not allowed to do that. On the record, they will just make a note "pt refused" If you cave-in make sure you take a copy of that image on that CD the fancy new software generates (don't leave the office w/o one, you paid for it!)

Old 04-01-2014, 04:12 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,477,898 times
You are blowing this way out of proportion. The amount of radiation you are exposed to for a bitewing x-ray once a year is not dangerous. If you want to be paranoid, focus your energies on your cell phone radiation.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:59 PM

469 posts, read 1,040,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiShisHouse View Post
Please please please remember not to allow a doctor or worse an office staff intimidate you into a service.
Bingo! This is how they operate, and unfortunately, the eye doctors have resorted to this, as many refuse to pay triple for the eyeglasses they sell and take their prescriptions online. I had a 30 Dollar eye exam included with Blue Cross. I called one of their providers, and flat out told them, I was only bringing 30 bucks. I wasn't there for five minutes before they told me they needed to do an extra test. I read them the riot act, then they assured me my insurance would pay. BC said it was unnecessary, I threw the bill in the garbage and never heard from them about it.

Regarding Thailand, if all you needed was the deep cleaning; you would break even on airfare, and actually have it performed by a DDS.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:11 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,305,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
You are blowing this way out of proportion. The amount of radiation you are exposed to for a bitewing x-ray once a year is not dangerous. If you want to be paranoid, focus your energies on your cell phone radiation.
Which has proven to be wrong.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:03 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,477,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Which has proven to be wrong.
Please don't bring factual evidence into someone's paranoia!

Old 05-19-2014, 04:55 PM

721 posts, read 1,221,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrascona View Post
I know Dr. Paesani at Nova Dental Studio in Falls Church does do x-rays, but they're about the nicest people ever. I'm sure if you asked to not have them taken, they would respect your wishes.
To give you an update - I scheduled teeth cleaning with Dr. Paesani at Nova Dental Studio in Falls Church. But they insisted on x-ray done as a new patient. I told them I had healthy teeth and would only need cleaning. But they insisted that x-ray was mandatory for a new patient. So I cancelled my appointment.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:12 PM

140 posts, read 233,619 times
They are only supposed to take x-rays once a year. I've always looked for a "low tech" dentist because you know they are not trying to pay off a lot of expensive equipment. I liked Dr. Klioze in Fairfax. But, yes, if you are a new patient and don't have x-rays to transfer from an old dentist, every dentist will insist on basic x-rays. How else can they have a baseline for the condition of your teeth?

Old 05-19-2014, 06:29 PM

721 posts, read 1,221,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyks View Post
They are only supposed to take x-rays once a year. I've always looked for a "low tech" dentist because you know they are not trying to pay off a lot of expensive equipment. I liked Dr. Klioze in Fairfax. But, yes, if you are a new patient and don't have x-rays to transfer from an old dentist, every dentist will insist on basic x-rays. How else can they have a baseline for the condition of your teeth?
I have x-ray from my previous dentist taken 2 years ago. But they would not accept it, because they required x-ray taken within a year.

It seems that I must get x-ray taken with any new dentist, since my last one was done 2 years ago. Correct?

Is there anyway I can get this requirement waived? I've found that I've got too many x-rays taken and try to avoid radiation from now on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia